Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Congratulations to the Cubs, but I was rooting for the Indians:( (I was born in Cleveland).
I remember my mom telling me that she used to go to the games back in the day. She would fill out a scorecard on her favorite Indian player, Al Rosen (she had a crush on him). He played third base for the Indians from 1947 to 1956. He was a 4 time All-Star. His nickname was "The Hebrew Hammer". Try getting away with that in today's PC world:p
'Rooting for the Indians'??? My god, you damn racist!!! But in fact 95% of 'Native Americans' polled don't mind being called 'Indians' and couldn't give a damn about sports teams named after them or even the Cleveland logo. They know there are assholes in ever race and have bigger issues than sports.

'Rooting for the Indians'??? My god, you damn racist!!! But in fact 95% of 'Native Americans' polled don't mind being called 'Indians' and couldn't give a damn about sports teams named after them or even the Cleveland logo. They know there are assholes in ever race and have bigger issues than sports.

I think there are bigger problems with the Washington Redskins, because that is a perjorative term, whereas Indians (or Braves or tribe names like the Illini) aren't.

But I am glad about the Cubs and Theo Epstein will have to go down as the greatest GM ever, breaking the curse of the Red Sox and the Cubs.

Last edited:
I think there are bigger problems with the Washington Redskins, because that is a perjorative term, whereas Indians (or Braves or tribe names like the Illini) aren't.

But I am glad about the Cubs and Theo Epstein will have to go down as the greatest GM ever, breaking the curse of the Red Sox and the Cubs.
As I die-hard Cardinals fan even I rooted for the Cubs. There GM is truly a genius and he is quite young!!!!

...as are the Cubs and Indians... there could be rematch!!!

It was a great win in a great game. As a Rays fan, I felt good for Joe Maddon, even if the win was with the wrong team.
Another Rays fan made an eerie prediction when Maddon left for the Cubs:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/3/13508144/world-series-prediction-tweet-2016-cubs
If anyone wants to know about Hondoboot's mom's taste in men, this is Al Rosen:
View attachment 435106 View attachment 435108
Rosen passed away in 2015 at the age of 91.
It was a great game! Cubs up by 3 in the eight and Indians tie it. It goes to an extra innings, (for you damn Europeans that's like your 60 minute football games lasting 90 minutes... please don't explain tonight...) was delayed by rain almost 20 minutes, the Cubs score 2 in the top of the tenth and the Indians fell one run short in the bottom of the 10th...

As I said I am St. Louis Cardinals fan and in the regular season wouldn't give the Cubs more than a 'stink-eye'...

What a great series it was indeed!!!

And Hondo's mom has great taste in men....

It was a great game! Cubs up by 3 in the eight and Indians tie it. It goes to an extra innings, (for you damn Europeans that's like your 60 minute football games lasting 90 minutes... please don't explain tonight...) was delayed by rain almost 20 minutes, the Cubs score 2 in the top of the tenth and the Indians fell one run short in the bottom of the 10th...

As I said I am St. Louis Cardinals fan and in the regular season wouldn't give the Cubs more than a 'stink-eye'...

What a great series it was indeed!!!

And Hondo's mom has great taste in men....

And all that after blowing a 3 run lead in the 8th. A classic game in a great series.

Thanks for posting the notices about Leonard Cohen, Hondo and Phlebas.
Sorry to be a pain, but we have this special thread now for 'passings',
as Milestones was getting blown off-course with obituaries:
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/passings.5320/page-5
so I've moved the posts over there. :)

Thanks for posting the notices about Leonard Cohen, Hondo and Phlebas.
Sorry to be a pain, but we have this special thread now for 'passings',
as Milestones was getting blown off-course with obituaries:
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/passings.5320/page-5
so I've moved the posts over there. :)
Would you please move mine as well, Eul, since theirs were responding to it? I apologize for putting it in the wrong place by mistake.

Oops, my apologies for not seeing it. I'll move it, it will probably be in the wrong order but that shouldn't be a major problem.

PS No, I've moved it and it's found the right place in that thread. What a wonderful site this is :D

November 11 in the US used to be called 'Armistice day' but is now called 'Veterans' day'. Agree or not with any war they served in they did what was asked of them- more than I would have the balls to do...

I salute my late father who would never talk about navigating his B-29 over Tokyo to do the incendiary bomb raids when he was 19 because while he knew it had to be done he never though it a good thing to do so . War is hell. Bless those that fought or fight them so we don't have to.

My late father went out to Burma with a full head of hair, came back nearly bald. He rarely talked about anything either, only when he could see humour, like herding a flock of ducks into a DUKW for the Christmas meal.

They introduced a tiny element of multifaith into the Christian service which the Queen attends, about time I thought remembering the number from our Indian and African colonies who fought and died in WW1 and 2.

350 years ago, November 13th 1666: the Pentland Rising began:

http://www.covenanter.org.uk/PentlandRising/

It would be better called the Glenkens Rising, as it began in that part of Eul's Galloway, and involved Covenanters very largely from 'the Northern Forest'.
Scarcely remembered outwith Galloway, ending in wretched failure, yet arguably more significant in its way than the much better-known, more 'romantic' Jacobite risings of the later 17th - mid-18th century. The underlying grievance was that Charles II had reneged on his promise to respect the Presbyterian model of church government in Scotland, and was trying to impose Bishops and the Anglican Book of Common Prayer, with vicious fines, dispossession, quartering of troops etc. for those who objected. Whatever view we take of the dour religious beliefs and harsh lifestyles of the Covenanters, their opposition to the 'divine right' of kings and their insistence that sovereigns rule legitimately only if they have the willing consent of their subjects, were a fundamental principle of Scottish constitutional law, and one which directly influenced the American Revolution and Declaration of Independence.

350 years ago, November 13th 1666: the Pentland Rising began:

http://www.covenanter.org.uk/PentlandRising/

It would be better called the Glenkens Rising, as it began in that part of Eul's Galloway, and involved Covenanters very largely from 'the Northern Forest'.
Scarcely remembered outwith Galloway, ending in wretched failure, yet arguably more significant in its way than the much better-known, more 'romantic' Jacobite risings of the later 17th - mid-18th century. The underlying grievance was that Charles II had reneged on his promise to respect the Presbyterian model of church government in Scotland, and was trying to impose Bishops and the Anglican Book of Common Prayer, with vicious fines, dispossession, quartering of troops etc. for those who objected. Whatever view we take of the dour religious beliefs and harsh lifestyles of the Covenanters, their opposition to the 'divine right' of kings and their insistence that sovereigns rule legitimately only if they have the willing consent of their subjects, were a fundamental principle of Scottish constitutional law, and one which directly influenced the American Revolution and Declaration of Independence.
Thanks for the reminder Eul.
The friend Pp stayed with so very recently in Glasgow is a direct descendant of one of those hanged.

21 november 1916.
Hundred years ago, this day, hospital ship HMHS Brittanic sank in the Egean Sea, near the Island of Kea. Brittanic was a sister ship of RMS Titanic and RMS Olympic. Originally, she was intended to be named RMS Gigantic, but the Titanic disaster had urged her owner, the White Star Line, to rename her. On her completion in 1914, the war had broken out and she was soon requisitioned as a hospital ship by the British Government. She sank after hitting a mine and went down in less than an hour. Thirty lives were lost in the sinking. HMHS Brittanic was the largest ship sunk during the war.

21 november 1916.
Hundred years ago, this day, hospital ship HMHS Brittanic sank in the Egean Sea, near the Island of Kea. Brittanic was a sister ship of RMS Titanic and RMS Olympic. Originally, she was intended to be named RMS Gigantic, but the Titanic disaster had urged her owner, the White Star Line, to rename her. On her completion in 1914, the war had broken out and she was soon requisitioned as a hospital ship by the British Government. She sank after hitting a mine and went down in less than an hour. Thirty lives were lost in the sinking. HMHS Brittanic was the largest ship sunk during the war.
I presume she was 'unsinkable' too...

Back
Top Bottom