Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
But it was clearly a seminal event in world history.

And for those of us brought up with the only religious symbol being a plain wooden cross, it delayed our appreciation of the human form upon said cross till we could afford to visit Catholic countries. I was about 14 when a school trip to Switzerland stayed next to a monastery (Einsiedeln); the full crucifixes with a nearly naked man set my hormones (already stimulated by the girls on the trip) racing.............

The effect on history was undeniable, leading to the fracturing of Europe and the Thirty Years War and the schism between the Pope and Henry VIII of England (very ably played at the Tower of London by Stan Goldman, despite the spiteful critiques provided by former detective Moore). Some, such as Max Weber believe that Protestantism was intrinsically linked to the development of industrial capitalism, though Loxuruin his story "The Queen of Chaos" may argue otherwise.
My story is fiction of course.;) But in 1517, the way to modern capitalism already had got a boost with the discovery of the New World, which had created new trades and needed new business models and techniques for trading ('beurzen', the first one founded in Antwerp in the 15th century, actually trading places, precursors of stock markets) and financing enterprises (banks).
Industrialisation would have been a matter of time.
Of course, Protestant labour ethics (being succesful means God likes you) have helped in the creation of capitalism.

More than that, Protestantism has helped the process of nation formation, because the Bible had to be translated in common language, and the version of that language used in the translations, became the standard language of that country.

Now if only he'd known CruxForums, he'd have realised that nailing women to crosses
is a much more constructive contribution to the march of history than nailing his theses
(or any other bits) to church doors.

Still, he did spark off a whole range of enjoyable alternatives/supplements to crucifixion -
like beheading, burning at the stake, hanging drawing and quartering, breaking on the wheel,
witch hunts, the Spanish Inquisition - yes, CruxForums owes a big debt to the Reformers and Counter-Reformers! :devil:

Now if only he'd known CruxForums, he'd have realised that nailing women to crosses
is a much more constructive contribution to the march of history than nailing his theses
(or any other bits) to church doors.

Still, he did spark off a whole range of enjoyable alternatives/supplements to crucifixion -
like beheading, burning at the stake, hanging drawing and quartering, breaking on the wheel,
witch hunts, the Spanish Inquisition - yes, CruxForums owes a big debt to the Reformers and Counter-Reformers! :devil:

All that stuff existed before Luther, didn't it? The Spanish Inquistition, which I didn't expect (no one does), started in 1478 to root out Moslems and Jews who pretended to convert to Catholicism, whilst continuing to practice their faiths in secret.

Now, I should say, that when I heard about nailing theses to the door, I heard "feces", so Luther may be responsible for the concept of throwing shit at the wall and seeing if any of it sticks.:p

I was going to argue that the forces of reformation were already in motion before 1517 with people like Wycliffe and Hus and that some form of reformation was inevitable not only due to religious issues, but political, economic and cultural forces sweeping through Europe.

Instead, I decided to post these:
luther1.jpg luther2.jpg martin-luther-tweets.jpg

I was going to argue that the forces of reformation were already in motion before 1517 with people like Wycliffe and Hus and that some form of reformation was inevitable not only due to religious issues, but political, economic and cultural forces sweeping through Europe.

Instead, I decided to post these:
And another these : no reformation without Gutenberg's invention of printing, some 60 years earlier?

Although I'm well to the south of most Scots, a rather large hill gets in the way of the sunrise in winter so even back on GMT it doesn't shine on me before 10ish - and goes down before 4. But we make up for it with lovely long evenings and light nights in the summer.

On November 7th, 1917, hunderd years ago, a Bolshevik militia stormed the Winter Palace in Saint Petersburg, Russia. They put aside the provisional government of Kerensky. Since Russia was still on the Julian Calendar, it was the 25th of October there. The event, rather a Communist putch, became known as the October Revolution. It was the beginning of the creation of the Soviet Union, an event that paved the way for much of the 20th century history.

Indeed, more important in the history of the cinema than as real history of the revolution.
The Internationale is a stirring tune. But so is the Horst Wessel Lied. The devil gets all the best ones.
The Battle Hymn of the Republic is also very stirring and they were the good guys, abolishing slavery (only to have it re-instated here):p. For those who don't know it

Back
Top Bottom