Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
And the Liberty'bell, at Philly (Pensylvania ) ... split alas !
When I was a little boy (petit garçon), growing up near Philadelphia, we visited it many times while it was still in the Lobby of Independence Hall (the old Pennsylvania State House). You could touch it.

When I was a little boy (petit garçon), growing up near Philadelphia, we visited it many times while it was still in the Lobby of Independence Hall (the old Pennsylvania State House). You could touch it.
One of the reasons for our frequent visits were to see the "Rising Sun" chair.
https://indecollections.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/the-rising-sun-chair/
The name comes from:
George Washington used this chair for nearly three months of the Federal Convention's continuous sessions. James Madison reported Benjamin Franklin saying, "I have often looked at that behind the president without being able to tell whether it was rising or setting. But now I... know that it is a rising...sun."
My Great Great Grandfather, Richardson Little Wright (Scotch Irish), was Speaker of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in the mid-1800s. He was the last person to officially use the chair.

Or try this for a song from the Shetland Isles on the subject of John Paul Jones and his vessel.
http://www.sssa.llc.ed.ac.uk/whalsay/2014/12/14/stately-southerner-the-2/
First verse in text:
Oh ‘twas of a stately Southerner that flew the Stripes and Stars
An’ a spanking wind from the west nor’west blew through our pitch-pine spars,
And with our larboard tacks on board we raced before the gale,
It was on the night we raised the light of the Old Head of Kinsale.

Or even from Tim Hart and Maddie Prior:

Or try this for a song from the Shetland Isles on the subject of John Paul Jones and his vessel.
http://www.sssa.llc.ed.ac.uk/whalsay/2014/12/14/stately-southerner-the-2/
First verse in text:
Oh ‘twas of a stately Southerner that flew the Stripes and Stars
An’ a spanking wind from the west nor’west blew through our pitch-pine spars,
And with our larboard tacks on board we raced before the gale,
It was on the night we raised the light of the Old Head of Kinsale.

Or even from Tim Hart and Maddie Prior:
The Old Head of Kinsale is lovely headland on the south coast of Ireland, Co. Cork;
other places mentioned in the lyrics in the link, though not in the Hart & Prior version,
include the Old Saltees off Kilmore, Co. Wexford,
they look even more spectacularly beautiful, http://www.salteeislands.info/
and Dromore is presumably Dromore Head in Co. Kerry,
the westernmost point on the Irish mainland
(though Dromore is very common = 'big ridge')
Featherstone I can't find, pretty surely a name brought over
by some settlers from Yorkshire.
I think the song gives a good sense of the character of JPJ's antics in the Irish Sea,
hit and run raids which were no doubt irritating to the Navy,
but hardly of much strategic significance -
his raids in 1778 on Whitehaven harbour (where he'd started his seafaring career)
and the Earl of Selkirk's house on an island in Kirkcudbright Bay
(not far from his birthplace) were both fiascos,
accidentally setting fire to the town of Whitehaven but failing to get into the harbour,
left a bad taste on the Cumbrian side; across in Galloway,
he found the Earl was not at home, the Countess was eating dinner,
some of his men ran off with the table silver,
but JPJ returned it with a polite apology, which at least was gentlemanly!

I don't know how PrPr and I let it pass, but yesterday, July 5 was the 30th anniversary of the debut of "Seinfeld". Come on, Moore, let's open a nice bottle of bubbly and curl up on the sofa and enjoy! And if the spirit moves you to do something extra nice for Old Stan....

I don't know how PrPr and I let it pass, but yesterday, July 5 was the 30th anniversary of the debut of "Seinfeld". Come on, Moore, let's open a nice bottle of bubbly and curl up on the sofa and enjoy! And if the spirit moves you to do something extra nice for Old Stan....

And I watched exactly one (1) complete episode.

It was pretty funny, a parody of the Ken Costner movie "JFK."

Seriously? A Milestone? Like the American Revolution? the Civil War? The second Law of Thermodynamics? Or Even
Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop?
Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?

A show about nothing?

Excuse me while I go gag :confused:

Back
Top Bottom