Poll--Were you raised Catholic?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Very thoughtful responses in this thread! As other shave stated I'm sure it plays out differently for different people, but I agree with PhilX that there is likely a common sexual element. Except for a pure masochist (which I am not) it's hard to imagine anyone volunteering to actually be crucified for no reason... clearly a horrible death exceeding any physical limits we would sign up for; plus it suggests having no reason to live - suicide! I suppose there is also the question of victim vs. witness...for example I find images of crucified women much more interesting and erotic than those of crucified men, yet the fantasy of myself on the cross is always appealing - not in the middle of the day at work or play, but in more private moments when the mood is right.

To Phil's list I would add the notion of surrender - the freedom in having nothing left to lose (Joplin). No need to be or to care for anything or anyone else..

...and I suppose, for most at least, this is all just recreation! Takes the mind off the myriad cares and demands of life for a while.

There are great philosophical ideas in yours and Phil's argumentation and if I consider my own inspiration or fetish to the crux I will find from the read above several points of view that concern to me and affect me very intensive.
Jeshua will be the most famous victim of the torture of crucifixion, however I can't get 6000 slaves out of my mind being crucified in 72 bc along via Appia or about thousand Jewish slaves during the Roman Jewish war. Or remember the 16 christian woman of Armenia being crucified in the last century... and and and...
It may be crazy but there is a strange feeling for me to be one this slaves or victims, to share their history and their destiny or fate, to be a part of them with their pain and struggling and wristling... all of them left a deep impression to me
It may be, no: it is a hard death but it is a heroical bondage and sacrificial fighting on the cross till the end... and much much more.

And a few Christian women who were martyred in that way -
admittedly there aren't many crucifixions in my fairly copious database of virgin martyrs,
but Candida (crucified on the Ostian Way outside Rome),
and Julia of Carthage (crucified in Corsica) come to mind.​

And a few Christian women who were martyred in that way -
admittedly there aren't many crucifixions in my fairly copious database of virgin martyrs,
but Candida (crucified on the Ostian Way outside Rome),
and Julia of Carthage (crucified in Corsica) come to mind.​
Written sources from the 17th century – by Bernardino Faino (1630-1669) and Francesco Paglia (1660-1701) – record the excitement in front of Santa Giulia (Julia) crucified in the new church of the Benedictine nuns. These sources also mention the artists: Giovanni and Carlo Carra, sons of Antonio, who owned the most important sculpture workshop in the 17th century Brescia and province.
You find more about at: http://www.turismobrescia.it/en/punto-d-interesse/santa-giulia-crucified-carlo-and-giovanni-carra
statua_s_giulia.jpg

That's a very beautiful sculpture of Julia of Carthage,
thanks for bringing her here Zephyros -
I've not seem her before, it's surprising she's not better known
(not least on CruxForums! :devil:)​

Written sources from the 17th century – by Bernardino Faino (1630-1669) and Francesco Paglia (1660-1701) – record the excitement in front of Santa Giulia (Julia) crucified in the new church of the Benedictine nuns. These sources also mention the artists: Giovanni and Carlo Carra, sons of Antonio, who owned the most important sculpture workshop in the 17th century Brescia and province.
You find more about at: http://www.turismobrescia.it/en/punto-d-interesse/santa-giulia-crucified-carlo-and-giovanni-carra
View attachment 151480

Quoting the website....wow....!!!!!

"Carra had to be diplomatic in resolving the inevitabile confusion generated from the approach of the martyr Giulia to the death of Christ. She was chosen as symbol of the female martyr in a female monastery, so Giulia must show her bosom to prove her femininity, with arms wide open, nailed and unveiled. Not even her long hair falls on her shoulders, but is loose on her back. The artist is able to depict Giulia’s modesty in a body that remains still; the expression of ecstasy and pain is entrusted to the vibrant drapery, to the inner emotion of her face towards Heaven."

yes, it's a good commentary -
and the video's worth watching,
dwelling on the details,
the face and arms especially
(even if like me you can't keep up with the Italian in the longer version)

The image, and the nunnery where it was hung,
surely belong in one of Velut Luna's stories!
:devil:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that it has found its way on our forum................ years ago

there's something on the car about 'St. Pete'
Now, that isn't quite how I'd imagined the scene at the Golden Gate,
but maybe that's how it will turn out to be,
a black St Peter in police sergeant uniform,
with a squad car waiting to whisk me down to The Other Place!​

there's something on the car about 'St. Pete'
Now, that isn't quite how I'd imagined the scene at the Golden Gate,
but maybe that's how it will turn out to be,
a black St Peter in police sergeant uniform,
with a squad car waiting to whisk me down to The Other Place!​
It reads: "St Pete Beach". The shot is from the movie "Spring Breakers" which was shot in & around St Pete Beach in 2012. In 1994, the town of St Petersburg Beach - which is on a barrier island - voted to shorten the name to St Pete Beach to avoid confusion with the larger city of St Petersburg on the mainland.
I think the two girls are Ashley Benson & Heather Morris.

Hmmm.

I'm thinking of depictions of St. Julia of Carthage. Has anyone posted here Damian's series based on her?

Oh, what the heck. Here they are.

A 19th century artist, Gabriel von Max, painted a sanitized version of St. Julia. Damian, well, unsanitized it .

Lots.

Attachments

• bdsmjulia01.jpg
    bdsmjulia01.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 129
  • bdsmjulia02.jpg
    bdsmjulia02.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 127
  • bdsmjulia03.jpg
    bdsmjulia03.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 131
  • bdsmjulia04.jpg
    bdsmjulia04.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 138
As we say around our way.."Well 'e would, wouldn't 'e! Full o tricks like that 'e is,"

"Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning. And the Hebrews learn it backwards which is absolutely frightening."

Back
Top Bottom