Revenge of the Pulps

Go to CruxDreams.com
RAGE magazine, January 1963, large format, uncredited but likely John Duillo, artist; featuring a whip-mad sheik, a Beatnik brothel, man-starved nymphos, and more…
12637432005_c62671878f_o.jpg
Important to understand Rage is the subtitle: "The Magazine for Real Men,” Real men who wanted real adventure stories, as opposed to those fashion-conscious girly men who wanted to read candy-ass, egghead fiction stories like those published in magazines like PLAYBOY, ya know!?

I'm going to add so much supplemental material, I will keep comments to a minimum.
RAGE, January 1963 - contents page-8x6.jpgLook what you get for 35 cents!
RAGE, January 1963, art by Leo Summers-8x6.jpg"It was ghastly, seeing the firing squad's bullets punching holes in her breathtaking body." Breathtaking even in death, sheer poetry.
RAGE, January 1963, Beatnik Brothel story-8x6.jpgThe fear really depends on whether the one trapped was a man or a woman! Nice whip marks, old madam!
RAGE, January 1963, Man-Starved Nymphos story-8x6.jpgNo issue here. We all know the only thing better than a Nympho, is a Man-Starved Nympho!
RAGE, January 1963, story about the boom in breast implants-8x6.jpgI went through adolescence during this time. Are you surprised how I turned out, gals?
RAGE, January 1963, To Hell With Women story-8x6.jpgDon't worry, Title is tongue in her cheek.
Bill Ward cartoon, RAGE magazine, Jan. 1963-8x6.jpgGotta love her!
RAGE, Jan 1963, art by John Duillo-8x6.jpgInside cover.

Cover Art is very good, very sexy, push out her bursting boobs and flat tummy, Yes!
But read carefully the opening teaser inside enlarged:
"as rawhide thongs slice agonizingly into the soft, creamy-smooth flesh...finally a screaming, pleading, writhing, bleeding beauty actually dies"
Great writing for a 35 cent magazine, Whew!

Italy has a variation called Fumetti (means smoke balloon, I think - refers to the balloons where dialogue is printed)
2887384-fumetti_del_futuro3.png
Nice antiseptic, laboratory. Two scientists observing the willing subject remove her clothes for the experiment. We're not told what it is.
The scientific instruments on the table give a hint.
Note the male scientist is impatient, keeps checking his watch, doesn't want to miss the Seinfeld reruns tonight!
The female scientist is concentrating on the work. She is only interested in seeing the results. Currently she has both hands on the desk. How long do you think that will last?

"Springtime for Hitler and Germany
Deutschland is happy and gay!"

That just kind of says it all, doesn't it?
(Take that ,Bolshevik-inspired "Berlin Diary!")

Real Men, December year ?, Fidelista setting, small format, no other info that I've found.
5961f01cc4a32c113e1af227c7a35f98.jpg
"In spite of everything the law has tried... Nothing Can Stop the Strippers" - reaction: 1. Oh the horror, the strippers are still stripping! 2. Horray! Girls gone bad! You Go Girls!!! (guess which is mine)

"Are you ready to risk your life for ...Ten Million Dollars in Gold???" ($350 million today) "Of course, I am! Let's start tomorrow" (what you say to the guys you are swigging beer with at the dark and dirty local bar where you hangout and drink to kill awareness of your empty life and to avoid going home to the 'ball & chain') "Shit no!" (what you think as you are swigging beer with the guys you don't like much at the dark, smelly, and dirty local bar where you hangout and drink to kill awareness of your empty life and know soon you'll have to go home to the 'ball & chain')

"The secret story that goes on behind your neighbor's curtains - Why Wives Cheat" Why? See above, or any of many describing your drunken, abusive, balding. beer-bellied neighbor. Don't worry its the neighbor's wife (maybe you can even get a taste), it would NEVER be your wife!

"The savage wanton ruled us as if we were her slaves Her Whip Was My Master" Dominatrix gone wild!?

Nor blurb for the cover art, not needed. Great depiction of how Barb would have been if Jewels hadn't saved her sorry ass! Strung up, whipped, bleeding. BTW great whip there, where can I get one and lessons? (but not from the wanton in the prior blurb!)

So sad I don't have a larger weapon to use print of this great scene.

Last edited:
Continuing the Fidelista theme:
21528697-51-KillingCastro-600x968.jpg
No blurbs, you just have to use your imagination. What would you do with (to?) this girl? What would you use? Fists? Belts? Whips; Pincers? Hot irons? Other? Where would you use them? When would you stop? (Never?)

Man's Action Feb year? small size, no other info.
Man's Action, Feb. 1960. Cover by  Basil Gogos-8x6.jpg
"Virility Drug: Great new discovery!" And you thought ED was a new problem

"The most beautiful Girls in the World" Come on! Really? These are not them. They are all on CF!

"Men: A lusty Paradise for $20 a Month!" "Hey Marge, I think I have a good idea for our next vacation!" "We've already agreed we're staying with
my mother. You haven't forgotten have you?" "No, you're right. Now where did I put the shells for the shotgun?"

"Combat History of the 1st Infantry" Fascinating new series starting. One of the high points will be "Combat History of the Three Hundred and 27th Infantry" not to mention "Combat History of the Twenty-First Detached Engineer Brigade"!

"True Report: Stone Age Savages Kill Scientists!" Of course I feel for those dead scientists. But you mean they have published reports in the science journals about modern Neanderthals? That just blows my research out of the water! For the past year, I have been sending sweet young things to a wide selection of bars and pubs, both upscale and down and dirty. I was all ready to publish the results. Neanderthals are everywhere! My girls reported they weren't in the bar five minutes when one or more(!) cavemen were all over them like a cheap suit! They reported that several were the more primitive kind with no power of speech, only grunts and clumsy pawing (most of this group actually wore business suits!). Drat, lost the research grant again. Funny that most of the sweet young things volunteered to keep working for free! One said, "Its disgusting, but no worse than the office!" Another, "They're not great, but there's nothing better out there."

Someone from the Northern Forest has to brush up on her domestic skills.
5780736-a0001.jpg
"That'll be the last time you burn the Haggis, girl. And the nips were tasteless!"

You know, he looks a lot like me, but he's a better dresser.

View attachment 624161
OK, I cannot figure out. What do you think? Is the policewoman with the gun threatening the woman to make her stop burning the girl? Or forcing her to keep doing it?
I don´t speak Italian, but I believe the text asks what the value of a whore is. Maybe your question can be answered after the policewoman and the female (not sure :)) pimp have resolved that question.

I don´t speak Italian, but I believe the text asks what the value of a whore is. Maybe your question can be answered after the policewoman and the female (not sure :)) pimp have resolved that question.
I think you are right. They should both conduct an arms-length negotiation to settle it. One arm up the whore's....... and the other up .......!
My new book to help finance the Reich thread: Negotiating for fun and profit!

I don't know Italian either, but you know what they say: "A whore's a putanna the world over!"

I speak Spanish so a lot of times I can figure out basic phrases in Italian or French. The only romance language that is really quite different is Romanian. It would come in handy if I ever meet up with Dracula or any of his sexy women.
What about a Female Dracula?
2874560-zora_oro.jpg

The Pulps of the 50's, 60's, and some 70's have been ridiculed far and wide. I hope what we have discussed so far has shown all you Pulpers that the magazines, in their day, were the most erudite, elucidators of the swirling cultural milieu of the age. You can't understand the 60' without understanding that "Weasels Ripped My Flesh," or that "even the Rhinos were Nymphos."
41DKSGTSBJL._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Fine memoir from a Pulp editor who moved on to plays and screenplay writer (Spash, Steanbath, The Heartbrek Kid)

Last edited:
Real October 1959 cover by Maurice Thomas, small image
Real, October 1959. Cover painting by Maurice Thomas.-8x6[1].jpg
"The First Time Anywhere! the truth about our great missile fraud" Finally a serious news story! (or was it about the growing problem of ED?)

"Sex Queen of Sicily" At least we know this is a serious news story.

"Book Length bonus: The Ace who ate Tanks" in the 50's serious war stories sold well

Cover story "The Cannibal Crocodile they couldn't Kill!" I think this is actually some fine semi-abstract art, unusual for mass circulation in those days. It fits on CF since they chained the croc. Did they plan to whip it?

But the word Cannibal? Does the croc only eat other crocs? Doesn't sound too dangerous to us!

Back
Top Bottom