The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Here's where I am extra careful. There is a respiratory plume, for want of a better description. If I'm riding behind someone else, at about 20mph, that plume is as much as 6 meters long or so. I try to pull out to overtake very early, leave lots of space, and wait for a while until I pull back in...
Interesting point that. The messages we're getting over here suggest that transmission out of doors isn't too great a risk unless you're face-to-face with someone less than 2 metres away, but there's a lot that isn't known, you're wise being careful - and considerate.

Interesting point that. The messages we're getting over here suggest that transmission out of doors isn't too great a risk unless you're face-to-face with someone less than 2 metres away, but there's a lot that isn't known, you're wise being careful - and considerate.
Exactly, given the 15,000 cases Florida had yesterday, and the absolutely insane responses from both the Federal and State Government, it is wise to be careful.

If we need be, we will lock ourselves down again. I am working from home. Not ideal, but it works.

I am working from home. Not ideal, but it works.
I rather like working from home, or rather, when I say that, I mean, I like not getting up too early, not having to commute across town, and not having to sit around in the office on a boring day. Much more flexible at home. Mind you, it's not as nice not seeing friends and colleagues at work, but overall, it's pretty good.

Exactly, given the 15,000 cases Florida had yesterday, and the absolutely insane responses from both the Federal and State Government, it is wise to be careful.

If we need be, we will lock ourselves down again. I am working from home. Not ideal, but it works.

Melbourne has gone into lockdown for the sake of 100 cases a day in Victoria and a couple of deaths, it boggles the mind that states like Florida can be so blase about 15,000 daily cases and who knows how many deaths. I think the US will be paying for this for years to come in economic and health terms.

I rather like working from home, or rather, when I say that, I mean, I like not getting up too early, not having to commute across town, and not having to sit around in the office on a boring day. Much more flexible at home. Mind you, it's not as nice not seeing friends and colleagues at work, but overall, it's pretty good.

Absolutely. I'm on here right now because I'm wfh and starting in an hour or so. I would normally have been at my desk for almost an hour by now. It is more relaxed, I have lunch with my wife, get more sleep, no commute, and I'm not so sociable a person that I miss office interactions. Quite happy with this arrangement.

Absolutely. I'm on here right now because I'm wfh and starting in an hour or so. I would normally have been at my desk for almost an hour by now. It is more relaxed, I have lunch with my wife, get more sleep, no commute, and I'm not so sociable a person that I miss office interactions. Quite happy with this arrangement.
There are advantages, especially avoiding the commution stress, and sleeping longer.

Yet, it misses some efficiency in decision making, which often relies on personal contacts at the work floor. Some issues remain unsolved, which could cause problems ultimately.

It's the way I live and work normally, so it's not really made a big difference.
It does suit me, I can well understand it wouldn't suit everyone,
and a lot depends on the physical arrangements in your home
and how many family are there with you -
but I think some people, especially loners like me, and ones (again like me)
who are able and content to organise themselves to get work done,
have discovered that self-isolation and working from home suits them pretty well.

It's the way I live and work normally, so it's not really made a big difference.
It does suit me, I can well understand it wouldn't suit everyone,
and a lot depends on the physical arrangements in your home
and how many family are there with you -
but I think some people, especially loners like me, and ones (again like me)
who are able and content to organise themselves to get work done,
have discovered that self-isolation and working from home suits them pretty well.
I've become quite used to it. I'm not exactly a loner, but I do like time to myself. And the work day is not entirely without social contact. I have at least 3 teleconference calls in a day, and a number of online and telephone convos with friends and colleagues. On a dull workday, I can shift from the office computer (which I have at home) to my personal rig (which is right beside the office machine) and do a manip or post some impertinent remark on CF. I can go for a walk in the park whenever I like, and instead of measuring my workday in hours, I can just concentrate on finishing a job or project. I don't mind riding the train in to work, but I am not that interested in spending so many hours of my life just commuting. Less wasted time this way, or at least, if I'm wasting it, I'm wasting it in ways I like. ;)

Yeah, back when so much was shutdown there were jokes going around about how introverts have never been happier. There was a certain degree of truth to that, I think.
I can attest the truth in that statement, and also not in a small degree. Even before the outbreak, I rarely go out of my tiny (which means smaller than 3 square meters) rented home as I don't like mingling with people. Not that I have trouble having business meetings and all that, but I don't like it and try to avoid such occasions whenever possible.

Before the pandemic, I feel like I'm a weirdo. I didn't feel too bad about it, but still I was constantly conscious how different I am with everyone else in that regard. And I had gumbled since my company's policy changed so that I had to go to the office 3 days a week, instead of working remotely from Mondays to Fridays.

Then, came the COVID-19, and I'm no longer the only one who keep to myself at home. And also I don't have to go to work anymore, except for on Mondays to receive mails.

So, the whole COVID situation actually made me feel happier. And I would have wished it to last indefinitely, if it didn't involve deaths and economic hardship for so many people around the world.

I know I'm a perv and a loner... but I'd like to believe I'm not that selfish to wish millions of people to suffer so that I can feel good. :)

Melbourne has gone into lockdown for the sake of 100 cases a day in Victoria and a couple of deaths, it boggles the mind that states like Florida can be so blase about 15,000 daily cases and who knows how many deaths. I think the US will be paying for this for years to come in economic and health terms.
There's two things here.

There's a chunk of the US population that to me, as an outsider (even after living here for years), has a really stubborn independent streak. They hold their own rights to be sacrosanct, but forget that their rights don't trump my rights. Add into this that so many people over here have swallowed the idea that the 'experts' can't be trusted, and you get the arguments that are played out in the news.

The second is that whilst the State Government fiddles, the county and city government have made some of the right moves. Miami closed down before the state, and even when it did start to reopen, it did so after the rest of the state, and only partially. Now even that is being rolled back....

C. S. Lewis, 1948 about nuclear war. I've substituted for atomic bomb:

If we are going to be destroyed by a coronavirus, let that virus when it comes find us doing sensible and human things — praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts — not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about viruses. They might break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.

C. S. Lewis, 1948 about nuclear war. I've substituted for atomic bomb:

If we are going to be destroyed by a coronavirus, let that virus when it comes find us doing sensible and human things — praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts — not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about viruses. They might break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.
Not allowed to chat with friends over a pint - there's a virus. ;) :D

Thanks fallenmystic, it's very interesting, if sad, for me to read of what's going on in your country. One thing I love about these Forums is getting to know people from parts of the world that we only get very superficial, probably very misleading, accounts of in even our more intelligent and responsible media channels. While we don't want political arguments here - like you, most members are here to get away from the toxic abuse and mud-slinging that passes for political debate across the internet - I think it's very reasonable to share your feelings in a non-partisan way. I do share your troubled feelings about the vicious, toxic language used by so many 'activists' whose causes I might sympathise with and tend to support - but their arrogant assumption that they're right and anyone who takes a different view is contemptible, only worthy to be vilified and demonised, undermines what good they want to achieve, and only joins them with those elsewhere in the political spectrum with a contempt for truth, reason and no commitment to use language to try to come to a shared understanding - they're all on the same road, and it's one that leads to repression, totalitarianism, and rule by the ones with the loudest, most extreme views and the biggest stick. :(

Sorry for taking part in this exchange of opinions so late, but in some way, this coronavirus-crisis seems to have only one particular positive effect in international relations because many people around the world are now interested in other countries and how they try to manage the crisis.
By looking to so many other countries, you necessarily learn something beyond the virus-news, you did not know before - and it is always good to know something about other countries far away because this is the only way to find out more about your own country and even about yourself and your own prejudices. Even if we all believe to be very open-minded in our European democracies of today, we all have our prejudices. Some of them are positive (e.g. about "my" Germany: all Germans are allways in time - haha!) but most of them are negative (all the Germans are always speaking in such an aggressive language and they do not have any humour at all!) etc.
But I do believe that all human beings and their nations are not so very different from each other, only their governments are trying to make them different. When you put small children of ca. 4 years and of different skin colors together in one big room, there is no remarkable aggression between them. They take every human skin colour as natural, only the behaviour of their parents make them regard other colours as "unusual" or something worse.
The behaviour and the crimes of grown-ups are similar all around the world and when it is about politics, national pride or political performance pressure, it is the same human madness almost everywhere - only the "enlightenment" and "reconnaissance" sometimes takes longer in different states.
During the last days. there were news all around the world about this criminal tragedy, but when we are honest, we all know similar crimes all over the world from our own countries because "sports" is often a case of national pride and "prestige" and so, the officials and trainers often misuse their power over young athletes and they even got backing from their politicians as long as they can make their victims win medals for their countries. This is nationalistic madness all around the world and it shows that we all are probably more than a bit crazy because we all like to see our countries and our "national heros" win in international sport competitions, don't we? Did we ever ask before, how our "successful" athletes around the world were treated before by the state and by their trainers - until something like this happened? Probably not ... :

Mhm, I must relativize my opinion of children's non-existing "prejudices" because just today, I talked with a female colleague about the neutrality of children and she told me, I am probably a bit wrong because she already had one self-inflicted prejudice towards people with a brown skin color when she was 4 years old:
"We had family-friends in the community of the US-soldiers at one US-Airbase in Germany and at a barbecue when I was four years old, I went to an about 12-years-old American boy with a really dark-brown skin who was sitting on a bench and licked across his cheek as if he was ice cream. He spoke German, he was shocked and asked what I was doing. I told him I was so disappointed of him because I was convinced he was covered with chocolate and would taste like that. He laughed so much that he fell over backwards from the bench and everyone around me laughed, too. I was so terribly disappointed that my prejudice about chocolate and human taste was wrong that my parents had to buy me a bar of chocolate in order to comfort me again!"
:abrazo:

Concerning "strange human behaviour", I would like to ask where you in different countries are now really wearing protection masks because in my home town in Germany, the people are now already only wearing masks when they enter public transport vehicles or buildings or when they are waiting in front of them. There are again people who do not wear masks at all but they usually get problems very fast with "evil looks & quarrels with others", with the drivers, officials, civil servants or with the police.
Do you wear masks somewhere else?
I also found it very funny to see this:
Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.16_15h57m19s_003_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.16_15h55m36s_001_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.16_15h56m27s_002_.jpg

Starting at minute 3:10

Back
Top Bottom