The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
South Korea triathlete kills herself 'after abuse' The young triathlete took her own life after lodging complaints over alleged abuse from coaching staff.

also the same sort of allegations in the UK:

BUT, you read it here first!

The Peoples' Sports Academy For Young Women

by a brilliant writer no longer active known as Pia or Pkindenhaag
A frightening, dystopian view of sports coaching.

Thanks fallenmystic, it's very interesting, if sad, for me to read of what's going on in your country. One thing I love about these Forums is getting to know people from parts of the world that we only get very superficial, probably very misleading, accounts of in even our more intelligent and responsible media channels. While we don't want political arguments here - like you, most members are here to get away from the toxic abuse and mud-slinging that passes for political debate across the internet - I think it's very reasonable to share your feelings in a non-partisan way. I do share your troubled feelings about the vicious, toxic language used by so many 'activists' whose causes I might sympathise with and tend to support - but their arrogant assumption that they're right and anyone who takes a different view is contemptible, only worthy to be vilified and demonised, undermines what good they want to achieve, and only joins them with those elsewhere in the political spectrum with a contempt for truth, reason and no commitment to use language to try to come to a shared understanding - they're all on the same road, and it's one that leads to repression, totalitarianism, and rule by the ones with the loudest, most extreme views and the biggest stick. :(
Brilliantly put Eulalia,and absolutely correct.

Yes, absolutely correct. Concerning political correctness, I must admit that I am very interested in international politics and I have heard so incredible statements and sentences by politicians from at least 4 different countries during the last 7 months since this coronavirus came into our world ... aaargh ... after which I got a feeling like in one part of Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy": Somewhere in my soul there must be the remains of a German, Romanian or even Mongolian knight or warrior from the Middle Ages and this warrior sometimes wants to get out of this body when he listens to examples of human stupidity I never thought to be possible again after WW II.

If I had been at one of the places of those political speeches, I probably would have stood up and had shouted my most-loved insulting German sentence I never used in my real life but - I am afraid - one day it will happen and I will start a huge brawl: "So blöd [wie Ihr] kann keiner sein!" (= "No one can ever be so stupid [as you]!")

This is a sentence from one of the most remembered dead German actors who was famous because he must really have been crazy and certainly, he usually played monsters and psychopaths because the directors and the audience always said, he did not need to "play" that. By the way: Incredible, too, that he had a very, very beautiful and intelligent famous daughter: Nastassja Kinski. Maybe, madness and ugliness are closer to geniuses and beauty than we usually believe ...

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.16_23h24m16s_001_.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nastassja_Kinski

In fact, during the last two years, Klaus Kinski is more and more "alive" again because there are funny songs and great imitators of him. Maybe, this is a way of Germans to make fun of the world as it has become during the last 10 years and sometimes, I think, an absolutely crazy person like Klaus Kinski should meet some of our politicians of today in real life.
Examples, which are probably only to be loved by similar crazy persons like me and you:

1. An Austrian (or Bavarian) song mixed of Kinski's incredible insults to the director Werner Herzog during the making of the movie "Fitzcaraldo" in 1981.
During the making of this movie, Herzog later said, the Indians really offered him to kill this ever shouting madman, but he refused because he would not like to have his leading actor killed before the end of this movie-making. When you see these scenes, you will probably believe this story.

2. The imitator Max Giermann made a joke of this story, which is made this way: Giermann plays Kinski as being a friendly psychopath, who does not want to be one but the director's assistant tells him, he must try to be one because only students of movie-making are interested in such a shitty-crazy story, so he and the director have to insult each other in the most harmful way as the best advertising promotion for this movie and if they do not understand that, they are both "assholes" who do not deserve to make such an "Arthouse"-shit!

3. The best imitation of Klaus Kinski - I have ever seen - as Julius Caesar meeting Cleopatra, his master in madness and insulting:

And finally, I simply have to watch these videos, when I am thinking about some statements in East and West about the value of corona-tests because I simply cannot bear the logic of some politicians any more, when they say (e.g. Lukashenko in Bielo-Russia and not only he says that as we all know), there are more Covid-19 cases when there is more testing. Mhm, ok, the imperative logic is then as follows:
"When you have ten pregnant women and you test only five of them by a pregnancy test which is certainly positive, only five babies will be born, not ten!
This is the moment, when I want to turn into Klaus Kinski, shouting: "SO BLÖD KANN KEINER SEIN!" (AAARGH!)

...This is nationalistic madness all around the world and it shows that we all are probably more than a bit crazy because we all like to see our countries and our "national heros" win in international sport competitions, don't we? Did we ever ask before, how our "successful" athletes around the world were treated before by the state and by their trainers - until something like this happened? Probably not ... :
Didn't expect to see my old rambling about the politics to get revived. Maybe it won't be entirely inappropriate if I could post an update about the aftermath of the event which instigated me to write my original post.

About the other suicide, I mean the tragic death of a triathlete mentioned above, I can only say that I feel deeply sorry for her and indignant of the unthinkable acts that her coaching staffs had committed against her, like most others who live in my country.

And the last part of the above paragraph - "like most others" is the key phrase here, because the tragedy also comforted me somehow. It made me see that those people around me are at least capable of having natural feelings about such an event, which I've begun to suspect since the other suicide of the former mayor.

I already told you how feminism is regarded almost as a crime or mental disorder by many people on the internet here so I won't repeat it now. And I suppose it wouldn't surprise you that the dead mayor is mostly being ridiculed by such anti-feminist crowd who mostly coincide with those who support the conservative party.

But what those members or supporters of the 'progressive' party have been doing after the incident is something truly surreal.

The former mayor committed suicide after his secretary charged him to have sexually harassed her for more than four years. And the first thing that the 'progressive' party did was to commemorate his death with an official 5-day funeral. They even made it a public ceremony so that a large crowd of people gathered to show their respect, despite the COVID outbreak.

They displayed placards honouring the mayor all over the city. And the leader of the 'progressive' party called a reporter "son of a b*tch" in public when he was stopped as he was leaving the funeral and asked if his party has any plan about the allegation.

Other members of the party heaped praises on the dead mayor while some even dared to throw slanders at the secretary. They had to coin the term "one-who-is-claiming-to-be-a-victim" to mention her because they couldn't call her 'a victim' as it is the practice when the alleged sex offender is not so popular as the deceased mayor. All government supported feminist activit groups fell silent on the matter, and the leader of another 'progressive' party made an official public appology when two of the statewomen from her party refused to pay respect to the ead mayor, saying "someone has to stand on the side of the victim".

And the supporters of the 'progressive' party have been in an uproar all over the internet, some claiming that she must have allured him, or that she was bribed by the conservative party, or that it was nothing unusual for the mayor to wear only briefs in front of her because that was his 'ordinary' outfit, and so on.

A popular female lawyer posted a picture of herself locking her arm with the deceased mayor to ridicule the secretary for making such a fuss out of 'nothing'.

The comment section of a popular news site is filled with insults and slanders against the secretary. And members of one of the largest internet community have set out to do detective work to identify the victim so that they can publish her personal information on the internet and encourage people to lynch mob her.

Those are the things that have happened since my previous post. And I suppose now you may understand why I feel 'comforted' at the news of such a tragic death of a young triathlete.

No one calls her "one-who-claims-to-be-a-victim" or blaming her for tainting her coach's name. They are unanimously demanding the harshest punishment for the alleged offender even before a trial. Seeing that, I can see that they are capable of feeling natural human emotions, at least - the very same people who are heaping insults on the secretary for 'causing' the death of their beloved mayor.

Maybe the triathlete was lucky to die so young before saying anything about the politics in public. If she announced her allegiance with either of the two major parties, I'm pretty sure that she would have been called a 'whore' by half of the crowd by now.

That is the extent to which politics have degenerated where I live. And if I'm not mistaken, Americans will begin to see something quite similar in the U.S. in a not so distant future. I believe that the very same causes are driving the political scene in both of the countries, and it's just that S. Korea is a step 'ahead' in that regard due to various accidental factors. I think Donal Trump is more of a phenomenon than a cause, and the latter will remain for a long time to drag America down after the former retires from the political scene.

Anyway, let's get back to the squirrels and cats. I, for one, feel an urgent need to cleanse my mind with some happy pictures of those furry animals after reporting this gloomy tale.

Last edited:
Even when we get back to squirrels, the last comments here reminded me of some other quotations of the last years which are partly true and partly funny.

In one Scandinavian movie about the Vikings, a Viking father was asked by his small son why there is so much fighting around the Vikings and his father tells him:

"I don't really know why, but life simply is always about fighting against something: enemies, stupidity and against death in order to stay alive as long as possible. We Vikings adore some animals which are also always fighting for their food and for their lives and none of them accepts death without fighting before. Eagles, bears, wolves never accept death without fighting and so, we are humans and Vikings. We always fight, this is in our blood and we have to fight in order to survive. It is better to die standing in a fight than to live all your life on knees. And if I should not die during a fight, at least death will not meet me sober! So, let's go out and fight against everything which might shorten our lives, my son!"

And squirrels will always fight, too! :

Squirrels can fight.jpg

And by the way: It is always worth fighting for life and against stupidity as this relatively young German slogan tells us: "The fight against stupidity has only just begun!"

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.17_07h40m06s_001a_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.17_07h42m21sb_003_.jpg This picture is from the rather conservative German weekly "Die Zeit" against German neo-nazis who liked to wear such boots for some time.

And finally:
Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.17_06h42m09s_001_.jpg

Concerning "strange human behaviour", I would like to ask where you in different countries are now really wearing protection masks because in my home town in Germany, the people are now already only wearing masks when they enter public transport vehicles or buildings or when they are waiting in front of them. There are again people who do not wear masks at all but they usually get problems very fast with "evil looks & quarrels with others", with the drivers, officials, civil servants or with the police.
Do you wear masks somewhere else?

So, this comes to the heart of something that is really burning at me.

In my area of Miami, we pretty much all wear masks. The stores have strict mask policies. The Aldi has a queue you join outside to get in, all stood at 6' distance. One person out, one person in.

The local government is far ahead of the State Government, but it produces such a patchwork of requirements and rules. I could drive for no more than 30 minutes, and be in a different set of rules.

Elsewhere in the State, mask usage is far less...

Where in Germany are you from, btw?

In my area of Miami, we pretty much all wear masks. The stores have strict mask policies. The Aldi has a queue you join outside to get in, all stood at 6' distance. One person out, one person in.

The local government is far ahead of the State Government, but it produces such a patchwork of requirements and rules. I could drive for no more than 30 minutes, and be in a different set of rules.

This make me think of a recent survey for the BBC in which 36% of people claimed to wear masks to the shops etc or as a youtuber political commentator over here put it "lying bastards". I was rather glad he brought it up as based on my own experience only about 12% or maybe 1/8 people actually do wear a mask going round my local Tesco but until I saw it brought up by others I was left wondering if my neck of of the woods was somehow dramatically below average. Still it does show the value of making it compulsory even without actual compulsion, if a quarter of people think wearing one is important enough to lie about having done so then it is likely that they will from the 24th of this month when it becomes part of the actual rules.

Where in Germany are you from, btw?

My ALDI here in Germany was exactly like that about 4 - 2 months ago with very strict lockdowns but during the last 10 weeks or so, more and more restrictions were lifted because of less and less cases and - as I said before - people only wear masks now when they are entering public transport vehicles (buses, trains, taxis etc.) and public buildings like supermarkets, administration buildings, train stations.
I am right now working in the German federal state of "Rheinland-Pfalz" (= Rhineland-Palatinate), where there are probably the most vineyards and winemakers in Germany, not far away from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, which starts to make us Germans a bit nervous, because we have again open borders to the West and if Luxembourg was a German federal state, it would have to lockdown again right now.
There are again nearly 50 new infections per 100.000 inhabitants in Luxembourg and the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs has already issued a warning to be very careful travelling to Luxembourg. The cases there are probably again on the rise because of the many international relations of the banks in Luxembourg which was and still partly is an European tax haven. Moreover, almost all workers in Luxembourgs garbage disposal companies are from Portugal and Spain.
There is a joke in Germany that the Luxembourgians are becoming so rich with their many international banks that they already need Germans to take all these dirty international banknotes into their hands and fingers because Luxembourgians are not doing such dirty jobs in their banks any more.
The disadvantage is now that they seem to have celebrated their wealth and richness a bit too much during the last weeks and one home-case is making them very angry. Some rich youngsters from Luxembourg made private celebrations at a discotheque in Luxembourg and visited two other parties at the same night in Luxembourg and France. Almost all the participants of these three parties (up to 150 persons) have tested now positive for Covid-19.
There is now a really new and true meaning of this sentence: "I am so thirsty that I could die for some beers!"

There are again nearly 50 new infections per 100.000 inhabitants in Luxembourg
So, Luxemburg was tagged as a 'risk' country, early this week, and they were very pissed off about that.

They claimed that the high number of infections is due to the fact that they carry out tests by the book (according to EU and WHO), reaching a level of 400 tests per 1000 inhabitants (the country has about 595.000 inhabitants), while most other countries do not match the required level of testing.

Well, I will not criticize the Luxembourgians / Luxembourger (? - I think, I write it simply in German because it's shorter: Luxemburger) too much but they had similar good infection numbers per inhabitants like Germany, but it is possibly / probably a similar problem like in other countries which are much more "cordial & heartily" than the Germans. When people from "francophone" and Southern-European countries are or were meeting for parties or family celebrations, good friends and relatives were traditionally often hugging and giving cheek-kisses in France, Belgium and Luxemburg. Germans usually only made some handshakes or even greeted by waving their hands to some others and my experience was that the distance between guests at a party was always bigger in Germany than in most other countries. German parties to the North of my country could be so distanced that even I started to get a freezing-boring feeling. That was very bad for foreign party-guests but it was & is now really good in corona-times.
So, I think it is as usual: It is very difficult to change traditions and when there are additionally "cordial" and "partly drunk" youngsters who "must" visit not only one but three parties in two different countries in the same night as it really happened 10 days ago, you cannot only blame the examplary numbers of testing. For me and many others in this region and in these times, it is really hard to understand why one party in one night was not enough for these young Luxemburger? How silly can human beings be in order to make "a record party"?

In any case, beginning with yesterday, the hotel in which I am working and all others in this region, has / have now the same regulation for guests from Luxemburg as for our German "pariahs" from the German district of Gütersloh with the many infections in the slaughterhouses there: They are only accepted with a doctor's confirmation that they were tested during the last 48 hours and not infected with Covid-19.

Last edited:
. When people from "francophone" and Southern-European countries are or were meeting for parties or family celebrations, good friends and relatives were traditionally often hugging and giving cheek-kisses in France, Belgium and Luxemburg.
While the virus was rampant in Italy and Spain, I thought this was a likely mode of transmission, then it came to UK and we were, if anything, even worse. With a little thought, there are possibly two reasons:
  • the younger generation hugs much more than us old one's. Cheek kissing is still not very common, but increasing, yet if hugging is enough, asymptomatic transmission among the young could have created a large pool to give symptomatic disease in those susceptible
  • drunken behaviour. Brits go silly when in drink, which for some is every weekend. So plenty of contact.

Luxembourgians / Luxembourger
Lëtzebuerger!?

When people from "francophone" and Southern-European countries are or were meeting for parties or family celebrations, good friends and relatives were traditionally often hugging and giving cheek-kisses in France, Belgium and Luxemburg.
During WWII, officials of the occupied French speaking countries in exile in London, were nicknamed by the British as 'the shake hands clubs', because the British were unfamiliar with this daily practice of greeting each other.

Back
Top Bottom