DeviantArt is different....

Go to CruxDreams.com
I am puzzled. I am seeing a lot of unhappy people complaining that DA has managed to make itself worse (yet again). This time, it seems to be something about notifications. At least one artist I follow is saying it might be enough to make them leave. I can't see any difference on mine. Has anyone else had changes made? Is it, perhaps, one of those things that is staggered for different users?

I am puzzled. I am seeing a lot of unhappy people complaining that DA has managed to make itself worse (yet again). This time, it seems to be something about notifications. At least one artist I follow is saying it might be enough to make them leave. I can't see any difference on mine. Has anyone else had changes made? Is it, perhaps, one of those things that is staggered for different users?
Yes I am seeing these complaints too, apparently DA notifications have been changed for the worse. I can’t say I’ve noticed.. but then it’s hard to notice a notification not arriving! DA must have a whole department working very hard to find new ways to make things worse than before. :doh:

Yes I am seeing these complaints too, apparently DA notifications have been changed for the worse. I can’t say I’ve noticed.. but then it’s hard to notice a notification not arriving! DA must have a whole department working very hard to find new ways to make things worse than before. :doh:
Maybe it's notifications on art one has actually posted oneself. All I ever do is post comments on other artists, and it is as it was.

Last edited:
I have tested it by commenting on your sole post.
I don’t remember posting a sole.. or any other kind of fish, for that matter .. wait, what? Oh I see.. hmm. As you were. I’ll go check if I got a notification then :rolleyes:

Edit: yup seems to be working fine .. but maybe if you get tons of likes as well, the comments are now hidden among them and hard to find. That’s my understanding anyway from reading complaints in the DA forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know from who it was coming (those people have even not the courage to sign their actions :boaa:) but what I know is that I've lost all what I posted at DA ... !

DA is a Tumblrized dumpster fire. You're missing very little by avoiding it, and there are friendlier options for those of us disposed to kinky fun. If I didn't have nearly 8 years of artwork anchored to my DA account, I'd have abandoned it already.

ArtUntamed, CruxForums, Pixiv > DeviantArt

;)
So AU is still up?
I gave up using it, because I never understood how to 'follow' anybody or any discussion.
And I stopped posting, because of the restriction to file size and max. two posts per day, which would have meant that I first had to downsize my pictures and still would need years for posting all my stuff.

I think I was almost the only 'traditioal' guy there anyway and everything was revolving around 3D.

As far as I understand the notifications problem is mostly a pain for artists with a lot of followers and interaction, who want to reply to comments but ignore most of the other notifications. Everything seems to have been changed so it's much more difficult to find the relevant notifications if you get a lot of them. I have no idea about this since I mostly use DA to just silently follow some artists, and don't have any issues with too many notifications...

Some comments I've seen... it seems this time htey have especially pissed off the 'power users'...

Hi friends, until yesterday I had the option here on deviantArt to display only the comments. Since yesterday, all notifications are now displayed on the left side. I get about 700 notifications a day. It is impossible for me to view them all, I don't have the time. It was always a pleasure for me to read your comments and to reply to them, but this is too much work for me. I don't know if it's just a setting thing with me or if deviantArt has abolished the old view to generate more clicks. But as it is now, I'm slowly losing interest in deviantArt.
--​
I will post less photos in the future and I won't answer all comments anymore. It's not a big problem to reply to the comments in the current pictures, but finding the other comments among the countless notifications is too tedious for me.
I will also rarely be able to accept requests from groups who want to add my photos because they will no longer be listed separately. If I see these requests by chance, then I will of course accept them, but if they have slipped through at the bottom, then I am sorry.
--
If you request one of my pictures for your gallery and don't get a response, ping me. It probably wasn't intentional. DA's new notifications beta makes it really hard for me to find those requests. I now have to click on each individual photo that has a notification and look for requests rather than just getting a chronological feed I can filter.
On a typical night, it's not unusual for 50 or more of my images to get some kind of notification. For each one, I have to click the image, click the "Correspondence" filter, and then look for new gallery requests.
This is one of the absolute worst UI changes I've ever seen. They went, overnight, from something perfectly functional to something that's nearly unusable. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to go back to the old behavior.
--​
this new notification system only works for small, new, or less popular users and da administration so they have an easier time ignoring our complaints about how bad da is becoming.

As far as I understand the notifications problem is mostly a pain for artists with a lot of followers and interaction, who want to reply to comments but ignore most of the other notifications. Everything seems to have been changed so it's much more difficult to find the relevant notifications if you get a lot of them. I have no idea about this since I mostly use DA to just silently follow some artists, and don't have any issues with too many notifications...

Some comments I've seen... it seems this time htey have especially pissed off the 'power users'...
Hi friends, until yesterday I had the option here on deviantArt to display only the comments. Since yesterday, all notifications are now displayed on the left side. I get about 700 notifications a day. It is impossible for me to view them all, I don't have the time. It was always a pleasure for me to read your comments and to reply to them, but this is too much work for me. I don't know if it's just a setting thing with me or if deviantArt has abolished the old view to generate more clicks. But as it is now, I'm slowly losing interest in deviantArt.
--​
I will post less photos in the future and I won't answer all comments anymore. It's not a big problem to reply to the comments in the current pictures, but finding the other comments among the countless notifications is too tedious for me.
I will also rarely be able to accept requests from groups who want to add my photos because they will no longer be listed separately. If I see these requests by chance, then I will of course accept them, but if they have slipped through at the bottom, then I am sorry.
--
If you request one of my pictures for your gallery and don't get a response, ping me. It probably wasn't intentional. DA's new notifications beta makes it really hard for me to find those requests. I now have to click on each individual photo that has a notification and look for requests rather than just getting a chronological feed I can filter.
On a typical night, it's not unusual for 50 or more of my images to get some kind of notification. For each one, I have to click the image, click the "Correspondence" filter, and then look for new gallery requests.
This is one of the absolute worst UI changes I've ever seen. They went, overnight, from something perfectly functional to something that's nearly unusable. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to go back to the old behavior.
--​
this new notification system only works for small, new, or less popular users and da administration so they have an easier time ignoring our complaints about how bad da is becoming.
Heh, I read that too, I think we follow the same people :)

--​
--
--​
Well, the change seems to be 100% pointless, a pita for users and it is highly liked that the community will utterly hate it.
So, it must look like a jackpot to DA admins.

So AU is still up?
I gave up using it, because I never understood how to 'follow' anybody or any discussion.
And I stopped posting, because of the restriction to file size and max. two posts per day, which would have meant that I first had to downsize my pictures and still would need years for posting all my stuff.

I think I was almost the only 'traditioal' guy there anyway and everything was revolving around 3D.

It's up, doing fine AFAIK.

I don't know if the "two posts per day" limit is still in place, but I found that annoying too when the place first went live. These days I'm not posting enough to care, and at least it isn't DA.

Back
Top Bottom