Hark the Herald Angels Whinge

Go to CruxDreams.com
Christina Rossetti would like a word
She posed for the figure of Mary in 'The Annunciation' (1850) by Dante Gabriel Rossetti. Their brother William posed for the figure of the Archangel Gabriel.
The painting breaks with tradition by depicting a bedroom scene. ;)

582px-Dante_Gabriel_Rossetti_-_Ecce_Ancilla_Domini!_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Thanks for this charming little Advent story, Wragg! Happy Christmas everybody! :D

P.S. Sorry Migoz, your video will not play for me - apologies if you are making the same connection. ;)

Last edited:
This can only confirm that Christina Rosetti has once visited Cruxton Abbey, on invitation of Sir Wragg. That Miss Rosetti has been given access to the precious and valuable Medieval manuscripts in the abbey's library, including the account of the above described events. Perhaps, she has explained the fine print of these manuscripts to another guest of Sir Wragg, a certain Barbara Moore!
We can only imagine that Sir Wragg had more guests, ladies alike, and other distinguished gentlemen of His Lordship's inner Crux Circle! We can only imagine what other delights Miss Rosetti and the other ladies have exprienced in the dungeons and the four-poster bedrooms of the abbey!:rolleyes:

She posed for the figure of Mary in 'The Annunciation' (1850) by Dante Gabriel Rossetti. Their brother William posed for the figure of the Archangel Gabriel.
The painting breaks with tradition by depicting a bedroom scene. ;)

Thanks for this charming little Advent story, Wragg! Happy Christmas everybody! :D

P.S. Sorry Migoz, your video will not play for me - apologies if you are making the same connection. ;)
I don't know, but I have an instinctive feeling that Christina Rossetti might have enjoyed a trip to Cruxton Abbey (and possibly CF, too)

The link is for a superb version of 'In The Bleak Midwinter'

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTzqMi2AQF8

This can only confirm that Christina Rosetti has once visited Cruxton Abbey, on invitation of Sir Wragg. That Miss Rosetti has been given access to the precious and valuable Medieval manuscripts in the abbey's library, including the account of the above described events. Perhaps, she has explained the fine print of these manuscripts to another guest of Sir Wragg, a certain Barbara Moore!
We can only imagine that Sir Wragg had more guests, ladies alike, and other distinguished gentlemen of His Lordship's inner Crux Circle! We can only imagine what other delights Miss Rosetti and the other ladies have exprienced in the dungeons and the four-poster bedrooms of the abbey!:rolleyes:

I don't know, but I have an instinctive feeling that Christina Rossetti might have enjoyed a trip to Cruxton Abbey (and possibly CF, too)

I love this idea. Christina Rossetti had a delicacy and a sensitivity to her which would undoubtedly have made her a hit on the Cruxton scene. Many of you know that sometimes here I go by the name Dante Phlebas Rossetti, and I have been thinking of a manip on the theme of the Rossettis, inspired by this wonderful old photo

Now I'm even more inspired!

'Goblin Market' is weirdly erotic - too long to copy it all here, but it's the kind of fantasy we enjoy here -
I can quite imagine both Christina and her brother finding themselves very much at home on Crux Forums!

A taster:

Laugh’d every goblin
When they spied her peeping:
Came towards her hobbling,
Flying, running, leaping,
Puffing and blowing,
Chuckling, clapping, crowing,
Clucking and gobbling,
Mopping and mowing,
Full of airs and graces,
Pulling wry faces,
Demure grimaces,
Cat-like and rat-like,
Ratel- and wombat-like,
Snail-paced in a hurry,
Parrot-voiced and whistler,
Helter skelter, hurry skurry,
Chattering like magpies,
Fluttering like pigeons,
Gliding like fishes,—
Hugg’d her and kiss’d her:
Squeez’d and caress’d her:
Stretch’d up their dishes,
Panniers, and plates:
“Look at our apples
Russet and dun,
Bob at our cherries,
Bite at our peaches,
Citrons and dates,
Grapes for the asking,
Pears red with basking
Out in the sun,
Plums on their twigs;
Pluck them and suck them,
Pomegranates, figs.”—

'Goblin Market' is weirdly erotic - too long to copy it all here, but it's the kind of fantasy we enjoy here -
I can quite imagine both Christina and her brother finding themselves very much at home on Crux Forums!

A taster:

Laugh’d every goblin
When they spied her peeping:
Came towards her hobbling,
Flying, running, leaping,
Puffing and blowing,
Chuckling, clapping, crowing,
Clucking and gobbling,
Mopping and mowing,
Full of airs and graces,
Pulling wry faces,
Demure grimaces,
Cat-like and rat-like,
Ratel- and wombat-like,
Snail-paced in a hurry,
Parrot-voiced and whistler,
Helter skelter, hurry skurry,
Chattering like magpies,
Fluttering like pigeons,
Gliding like fishes,—
Hugg’d her and kiss’d her:
Squeez’d and caress’d her:
Stretch’d up their dishes,
Panniers, and plates:
“Look at our apples
Russet and dun,
Bob at our cherries,
Bite at our peaches,
Citrons and dates,
Grapes for the asking,
Pears red with basking
Out in the sun,
Plums on their twigs;
Pluck them and suck them,
Pomegranates, figs.”—

There seem to be a couple of chamber opera versions of the poem, but it really should be put into a sort of folk song or prog rock composition.
It does sound like Christina, at least, would have found a niche here. :)

Back
Top Bottom