Minnesota Moore and the Emperors' Treasure

Go to CruxDreams.com
Chapter 26 April 19-20, 2018 Our Route is Clear!

That evening Barbara made a bunch of phone calls. First a courtesy call to Harold Antonio. She told him of their progress and the strong evidence of provenance. He was again effusive with praise without being over the top. She said they were headed next to Split and he asked where they were staying. Barbara answered a little hesitantly since it was his money paying for the 5-star accommodations. However, he expressed total approval, saying he knew the hotel and it would be perfect for her team. He wished them the best of luck.
Next, she called Windar. He was genuinely overjoyed at the news. He said, “I never doubted you, Dr. Moore. You deserve all the credit for a great discovery.”
“Thank you, Dean. Now, just for fun, we’ll find the Treasure and be famous AND rich.”
“You realize most of the value will be claimed by the Croatian government.”
“Spoilsport!”
“If anyone can solve this historical mystery, it’s you, Barbara! Let me know when I can alert the press!”
“Will do.”

Her last call was to be to Geoffrey. For some reason, Barbara didn’t call him that night. She was tired from the long van ride and the large and tasty dinner made her a bit fuzzy. “I’ll call the dear, tomorrow,” she thought, sending off a good night text which drew an almost instantaneous response, “Good Night Gentle Friend.”

Next day, April 20th, the team gathered at 1:30 for a late lunch in a private room in the grand dining room of the City Hotel.
As they were working on their desserts, Dr. Moore got the meeting going.
“It really seems we have all the pieces of the puzzle in hand. We just need to put them together.”
“David, I understand you’ve made some discoveries while looking at the environs of the palace and in looking into Diocletian himself.”
“Yes, Professor. Just outside of Split is Solin. Its Roman name was Salona and it was made capital of the Roman province of Dalmatia 300 years before Diocletian began construction of his palace in 293 CE. Therefore, there are extensive records and remains in the region. What I found interesting was the there was a major Roman road going inland from Split/Salona to the hilly regions and the Roman Fortress of Delminium. From there the course of the roads is less clear, but definitely onward to what is now Serbia and the Danube. Delminium is now called Tomislavgrad after the first King of Croatia (Tomislav who became king in 925; of course, Tomislavgrad is now in Bosnia. Go figure!) I stumbled across reference to a medieval monastery in Županjac (the Medieval Croatian name for Tomislavgrad).”
“That is excellent. The pieces are coming together. Anything new on Diocletian?”
“Not much, most of his history is widely known. But it is clear he had a soft spot in his heart for Split even before he decided to retire there. He made several trips as Emperor and was known to wander the hills above Salona alone. And his family’s home was believed to be in the hills near the Roman road to Delminium.”
“The town was Delminium to the Romans, Županjac to the medieval Croatians and Tomislavgrad in modern times?” asked Barbara
“And also, Duvno, which might be a Dalmatian name. The surrounding area is often called that and the town was called that from 1945 to 1990. There are few places in the Balkans that haven’t had their names changed several times by the newest conqueror. No wonder some researchers get confused,” commented David.
“Susan, what about Brother Nickolas?”
“I have found several references in the late 12th century to Nicklas, son of a goatherd who joined an “Abbey Frances.” And in the early 13th, a manuscript mentioning a brother Nikola, who was a respected chronicler. Both were in reference to the Dalmatian part of Bosnia. The abbey is not clearly stated, but seems to be associated with a place called, surprise! Duvno. He comes across in both as a dedicated, if somewhat unorthodox, monk. They are hard to tie directly to the manuscript, but certainly indicate the possibility of its authenticity and tie to this area.”
“Finally, a mid 14th century manuscript references a brother Nickolas, a historian, but for a location is gives Tavelić, which matches no places here.”
“That’s a great job, Susan. In a moment you’ll see that it means even more than you think.” Barbara was very pleased.
Henry couldn’t wait longer. “I got the survey data, satellite data and every ground penetrating radar available for this area, and it is very good!”
“The Roman road that David discovered is shown on land surveys and clearly visible on satellite. It winds up to the hills above Split/Salona and continues to that town of Tomislavgrad. Then it splits into several trade routes including a main one through Sarajevo and on to the Danube. It would have been a perfect route for Frederick to leave the march and visit Split!”
“Fantastic,” cried Barb. “We have proof that Barbarossa’s visit to Split could be historical and not just a legend! Messa, what do you have?”
“I think you will like much, mon professeure. L'empereur Issac II did not think the best of L'empereur Frederick. He writes very disparagingly of him to his envoy at the Hungarian Court. Isaac especially was disdainful of Victorinus. He says that having a peasant goatherd as his prime advisor shows Barbarossa to be a fool.”
“Isaac sounds like a conceited prick. That’s par for the course for emperors. No love lost with Frederick?”
“No, and Isaac tried to back out of his agreement to allow the crusaders through his territory. He was only compelled by force of arms to fulfill his obligations,” chimed in Susan. “His correspondence with Heinrich der Löwe, is dripping with hatred by both for Frederick. But they left no fuming pistol in writing as you Americans say.”
“’Smoking Gun.’ He was a weak emperor. In 1195, his brother deposed and blinded him and threw in in prison,” said Barb.
“But he came back the throne in 1202, blind, in time to hand over the keys to the city to the Fourth Crusade. He was a loser.” Susan said, holding an “L” on her forehead and everyone laughed.
“However, I save the best news for the end,” chirped Messa looking like the cat that has swallowed the canary. “In their frequent communications, there was a petite note sent from Isaac to Frederick in August of 1189. It was addressed to Frederick in a town in Croatia. Isaac used the old Roman/Byzantine name, Delminium.”
There was a moment of silence as the importance of this information sunk in.
“Oh my God, Messa! I could kiss you,” blurted out Dr. Moore without thinking. David looked at her with astonishment and Messa with another emotion, but the others were too excited to notice.
“Figuratively,” Barbara stumbled to say, blushing. But no one heard, they all were up, congratulating Messaline on her wonderful find.
“Team, Team,” said Professor Moore, getting their attention. This means we can place Frederick I Barbarossa, Holy Roman Emperor on the road to Split just as told in the manuscript, near Brother Nickolas’ monastery, and at the same time. Provenance is now complete from this end!”
All cheered.
“Now I can add my finds and wrap this all up.” The team took their chairs again and listened attentively to their professor.
“Our previous research showed no monasteries in this area of Bosnia or Croatia. It appeared that we had reached a dead end there. However, I worked through some old records of the dioceses of Mostar and found a reference to a Franciscan monastery in its territory. The challenge here is that once a monastery is destroyed or abandoned, it drops off the records. Fortunately, a famous person can change that. Nikola Tavelić was a Franciscan missionary who died a famous martyr's death in Jerusalem on November 14, 1391. He was a Croatian friar who spent some time at the monastery in Županjac. As a result, there is a Basilica there named for him.”
“Susan, that mid 14th century manuscript you found referencing a brother Nickolas, a historian, was saying he was at Tavelić’s monastery in Županjac. One and the same!”
“I knew that was important, I just didn’t know how,” crowed Susan.
“Unfortunately, the Ottomans conquered that area in 1477 and it remained under their control until 1878 when Austria-Hungary occupied Bosnia and Herzegovina after the Berlin Congress. Sometime during this period, the Christian monastery was destroyed and not a trace of the buildings was left.”
A silence of deep disappointment suddenly fell.
“You mean we can never learn more about friar Nickolas? It’s all gone forever,” asked Susan with a lump in her throat. She hated research dead-ends. All the others felt the same. Nickolas had become a real person to them and they looked forward to knowing more about him.
“I didn’t say that,” said Dr. Moore in a soothing voice. I only said the monastery was destroyed. Most of the library and abbey documents were saved and are now housed…” she paused with a actor’s (or a teacher’s) knack for the dramatic, “in the Franciscan Seminary in Sinj, Croatia. About 20 kilometers from Split, up that old Roman Road, David and Henry!”

“We head out tomorrow for Split, ladies and gentlemen. Treasure calls!”

From Wikipedia:
After having seen few, if any, conversions from the Muslim populace of the city resulting from their quiet pastoral work at the holy sites of Christianity, Tavelic and his colleagues decided to take the option given to them in the Rule of Life of their founder, Francis of Assisi, and to preach openly the Christian faith to the Muslim populace. They went to the regular gathering before the Qadi of Jerusalem and began to preach. Following their arrest for this, they refused the option to convert to Islam and were imprisoned. After again refusing to convert several days later, the group were all sentenced to death. These missionaries were executed near the Jaffa Gate on November 14, 1391, and their remains completely burned.
6755062_orig.jpg

Next, she called Windar. He was genuinely overjoyed at the news. He said, “I never doubted you, Dr. Moore. You deserve all the credit for a great discovery.”
“Thank you, Dean. Now, just for fun, we’ll find the Treasure and be famous AND rich.”
“You realize most of the value will be claimed by the Croatian government.”
“Spoilsport!”
“If anyone can solve this historical mystery, it’s you, Barbara! Let me know when I can alert the press!”
“Will do.”

Windar must be slipping. Not a word about expenses! This is worrisome. Silence could also mean I’m in for a whipping and a renewed intimate reacquaintance with the polished surface of his desktop when I return.:confused::facepalm:

Last edited:
Windar must be slipping. Not a word about expenses! This is worrisome. Silence could also mean I’m in for a whipping and a renewed intimate reacquaintance with the polished surface of his desktop when I return.:confused::facepalm:
Why are you not calling Geoffrey? He misses you.

Feeling guilty?

Last edited:
Chapter 27 April 20, 2018 Phone Call with Geoffrey

Barb thought of calling Geoffrey after the meeting broke up, but decided it was a bit too early. When she returned to her room after dinner at 8, she had planned to make the call. But, somehow, she got caught up in documenting the day’s findings. It was ten when she wrapped that up. Looking at the clock, she thought it was too late for a call. She packed for the trip the next day and changed for bed. When she got into the bed, she noticed two things. It was 10:42 and her picture of Geoff had been packed away. She had avoided thinking of it. Now she realized she was avoiding talking to him. She rang his flat in Oxford. He answered on the second ring, sounding wide awake.

Catching him up on her accomplishments, Barb felt his love in his congratulations. After several minutes of research talk and small talk, Geoff said:

G: Ok, Barb, what’s up? Something’s on your mind.
B: Why are you always trying to read my mind!
G: I find your mind endlessly fascinating. Sorry if it’s a bother.
B: It’s Ok. Yes. I need to talk to you.
G: Isn’t that what we’re doing, dear?
B: Don’t get grammarian on me! You know what I mean. I’m Serious.
G: Oh my. Please, I’m listening. What have I done now?
B: You’ve done nothing, it’s me.
G: OK?
B: It’s about Messaline, you know my French doctoral student who’s on the team.
G: Yes.
B: Well, I told you she had developed a little crush on me. I guess I’m like her idol or something.
G: You told me on our last call. That kind of thing isn’t new. When you accomplish all you have, many of your students will heroine worship! Or is there something more?
B: Ok, yes, Yes! You remember I told you, we were riding the elevator up to our rooms and she gave me a little kiss and then got out.
G: Yes. I remember. That was four days ago.
B: No, it was two, wasn’t it?
G: I remember you called on the 17th, three days ago. I had just finished the re-cataloging of the Inca quipus – You know, the talking knots? I wouldn’t forget something like that.
B: Of course not.
G: You called on the 17th and told me about Messaline kissing you the day before on the 16th. That was the last time we talked, three days ago.
B: You count the days since our last phone call?
G: I count the minutes, dear!
B: Whatever. You must also remember that I thought it was a bit inappropriate, I being her teacher and boss on the project and all.
G: Yes.
B: And I might have given her the cold shoulder for a few days to discourage any repeat.
G: Of course, you did. You told me you were going to. Although I remember, “treat professionally” not “cold shoulder.”
B: I’m not liking your tone.
G Sorry dear.
B: Anyway, she took it badly and was sad and moping. She actually thought I was mad and was going to fire her! I remember you warned me that she might not understand.
G: Just a lucky guess.
B: So, I decided to talk to her in my room the night before last to straighten it all out.
G: In your room? Night before last. Of course, you did.
B: Now I’m really disliking your tone!
G: Yes dear.
B: You know I hate you, don’t you?
G: So sorry dear.
B: Geeze! Well she came to my room and before I could really say anything, she broke down sobbing and pleading for me not to fire her. She even fell to her knees and grabbed my legs.
G: Yes, I think I see now.
B: You know that I really like the girl. She’s smart and hard-working and has a very pleasant personality.
G: A pleasant personality. Of course.
B: I had to comfort her somehow.
G: You had not choice, dear.
B: I guess I kissed her and told her I loved her.
G: You were forced to, dear Barbara.
B: When I get back to Oxford, I’m going to kill you, you know.
G: Yes, dear.
B: One thing led to another and we spent most of the night together.

[short pause]
B: And I guess I didn’t bother to tell you until now

[long pause]
B: Geoffrey?
G: Yes?
B: Don’t you have a reaction?

[short pause]
G: My dear, dear Barb. Ever since our relationship got serious, I’ve been clear about this. With my long years behind me and short life expectancy ahead, and the substantial distance between our homes, you must be open to other choices. I have never expected exclusive fidelity from you. The love you have given me over the last three years had made my life wonderful and complete. You should have no guilt about a relationship with this girl, whether for one night, or forever.
B: You are really so impossible! I was looking forward to a good argument.
G: OK, you’ve cheated on me, you unfaithful - word that rhymes with witch! I never want to see you again!
B: But you don’t mean that?
G: Of course not!
B: I love you, Geoff.
G: I love you more.

Now the talk drifted away from Messaline and the project. It became more personal and then slowly moved to where they had tried to go that first night she was in Zagreb. Geoff was in superb verbal form. Barb was in the mood. They found their way to the treasure this time.

From Wikipedia:
Quipu, or talking knots, were recording devices fashioned from strings historically used by a number of cultures in the region of Andean South America.
A quipu usually consisted of cotton or camelid fiber strings. The Inca people used them for collecting data and keeping records, monitoring tax obligations, properly collecting census records, calendrical information, and for military organization. The cords stored numeric and other values encoded as knots, often in a base ten positional system. A quipu could have only a few or thousands of cords.

Inca_Quipu.jpg

Susan gave a little moan of pleasure at his inquisitiveness and said, “Be my guest,” spreading her legs wide. “I don’t want you to miss a thing!”

Lots going on in this story, and lots of lovely history, but the side story of Susan and her beau has caught my attention, for some unaccountable reason. :rolleyes:

Quick and rough illustration drawing on Madi's original manip

hotel2.jpg

Chapter 28 April 21, 2018 Travel to Split

Next morning, packed and loaded on the same comfortable van, they set off for the Dalmatian coast and Split.
The mood on the drive carried over the celebratory joy of the previous day. All knew they had been part of a remarkably significant historical find. And the lure of the Treasure was still before them. Dr. Moore reminded them again that absolute secrecy must be maintained, especially as they came to Split. The thought of a fabulous golden treasure would corrupt most minds. Anyone could do anything motivated by that amount of gold.
The excitement went up a notch as they reached Tomislavgrad. There was nothing there to research, but they all agreed that they wanted to walk where Brother Nickolas had walked. They made a brief pilgrimage to the modern church named after Nikole Tavelića. Nearby was a monument to King Tomislav and a display of excavations of ancient Roman Delminium. Although the historians looked with great interest at the digs, they were focused on their own research. So back on the van to head to the coast.

David and Susan sat together on the first part of the drive. After Tomislavgrad, Dr. Moore asked David to join her to discuss some questions she had about the layout of Diocletian’s Palace. Of course, this was just a ruse to get David alone and ask him about him and Susan. Barb justified this nosiness to herself as a feeling of responsibility after helping to get them together. David refused to go into any detail of their time together (Barbara respected him being a gentleman about it – none of that college jock bragging of a conquest), but he did say that they had spent the last two night together and that he was falling very much in love with the girl. He really hoped it might become a long-term relationship, not just a fling on a project. This made Barb feel much better about helping them out.
A little later, she asked Susan to sit with her to discuss Bosnian/Croatian diplomatic relations, another ruse. When she asked, Susan smiled and said the two nights in Sarajevo with David had been “quite nice.” When Barb pressed with the classic girl question, “Tell me more,” Susan gave a highly detailed report of the intense sex the two had enjoyed. Barbara was surprised at the extensive, sensuous descriptions and felt herself even a little aroused by the hot scenes pictured.
“So, is he a real keeper?”
“Oh, I don’t know,” said Susan, with a flip of her head. “I needed to hook up to get some hot sex and he supplied that. I’m not really interested in him as a person.”
Dr. Moore was pretty much speechless after that. Wow, what are these younger generation girls coming to?

At Komensko, they crossed the border into Croatia again with no hassle despite neither Bosnia nor Croatia being part of the Schengen Agreement. They passed the ruins of Čačvina castle. Susan explained that the Čačvina fortification guarded the approach from Bosnia during the wars with the Ottomans. It is 705 meters (2,313 ft) above sea level. Its strategic location enabled its crew to oversee the traffic of goods through the mountain passage that goes through the Dinaric Alps and leads to Bosnia. It dates from at least 1345 C.E.. It’s believed that a fortress was first built here by the Romans around 138 C.E.
Coming down from the hills on truly terrifying roads (Barb chose not to share with the group the nugget of information Geoffrey had passed on - this was statistically the most dangerous road in all of former Yugoslavia!), their fear was offset (somewhat) by spectacular distant views of the Adriatic that came and went with the curves. At Trilj, Barb pointed out the side road to Sinj where the Seminary with the old abbey documents was located. Tomorrow, Susan and Henry would go there to look for records of Brother Nickolas.
At Bisko, the road merged with a modern highway on the flat coastal plain and the whole team gave thanks for making it safely this far. At Dugopolje, they turned onto route 1 which would take them down to the coast and Split.

At 1:00 PM their van arrived in Split. The team was fascinated to see the old buildings and narrow streets. They went through a stone gate and down a very narrow road to stop in front of their hotel.
“Hotel Diocletian, announced Barbara. “No expense spared, it’s the best hotel in Split. And of course, its name is perfect for our project.”
“How far to the Place from here?” asked Susan.
“You can’t really go there from here,” said Barb with a twinkle in her eye.
“What?” Several said at once.
“Because we are there already! The hotel is almost dead center in the palace grounds. We can walk to any part in 10 minutes!”

Barb justified this nosiness to herself as a feeling of responsibility after helping to get them together. David refused to go into any detail of their time together

I also justified it because I was the boss, after all, and further because ... oh never mind. :devil:

A little later, she asked Susan to sit with her to discuss Bosnian/Croatian diplomatic relations, another ruse.

Wow ... I really wanted to know :p

Dr. Moore was pretty much speechless after that.

An extremely rare occurrence :rolleyes:

“Hotel Diocletian, announced Barbara. “No expense spared, it’s the best hotel in Split.

Shhhhhh ... Dean Windaus already is planning my next office desktop disciplining. Let’s not encourage him to move the session to the University’s admin building’s cellar dungeon.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom