Poll--Were you raised Catholic?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yes - and although only a minority are 'active',
it's a big enough minority to post a wonderful range of different kinds of material -
great images, hilarious picture-stories, interesting discussions, lots of different styles of writing, varied videos -
I've just been offline for three days and am amazed at the quantity and a great deal of quality that's appeared in that short time.
Of course some of it's better than other bits, not everything will appeal to everyone,
but 'things ain't what they used to be' is just the eternal moan of grumpy old men!
Yes, “things were better way back in my day“ as in the days of Typhoid, Chollera and no antibiotics…

Yes, “things were better way back in my day“ as in the days of Typhoid, Chollera and no antibiotics…
Goodness, that was a long time back - when I first joined, for some reason all the posts got 'centred', at least on my screen, and there wasn't any obvious way of realigning them. After the Great Crash, the new XenForo system that IM got installed left-aligned them normally, but I kept up centring mine for a bit as it had become a sort of trademark, and quite a lot of what I was posting (though not this one) were sort of poetry.

Goodness, that was a long time back - when I first joined, for some reason all the posts got 'centred', at least on my screen, and there wasn't any obvious way of realigning them. After the Great Crash, the new XenForo system that IM got installed left-aligned them normally, but I kept up centring mine for a bit as it had become a sort of trademark, and quite a lot of what I was posting (though not this one) were sort of poetry.
Just more of my late coming homework…lots of catch-up reading still to do

Yes, I went to a parochial school. Some of the darkest and bad boys I know did also. As for bondage and crucifixion, I don't compare that interest with religion. It is curious that many people that I have come to know that are involved in B&D started at a young age, eleven or twelve seems to be about right.

Yes, I went to a parochial school. Some of the darkest and bad boys I know did also. As for bondage and crucifixion, I don't compare that interest with religion. It is curious that many people that I have come to know that are involved in B&D started at a young age, eleven or twelve seems to be about right.
Not sure for me.
Growing up around it, as most cases, pushed me away for a bit.
I found most things steeped in ritual rather than reason and discovering history and theology only made me question things more.

As I grew older, I came to the B&D thing along a different path and the crucifixion of the female even later.
I don’t know if there is a latent seed of it from the religious days but I have not dug that deep into my own psyche.

I grew up and was brought up Catholic. I'm sure without that connection my fetishes would have gone in a different direction... The martyrdoms of the saints were just too exciting....

And then I remember a conversation at the Easter coffee table as a child, maybe 10 years old, where they discussed with pleasure what you actually die of as a crucified person... Goosebumps....

I grew up and was brought up Catholic. I'm sure without that connection my fetishes would have gone in a different direction... The martyrdoms of the saints were just too exciting....

And then I remember a conversation at the Easter coffee table as a child, maybe 10 years old, where they discussed with pleasure what you actually die of as a crucified person... Goosebumps....
Tell me? What do you die of?

One faction believed that one slowly suffocates because the lungs can no longer develop freely, others suspected a circulatory collapse. A third group thought that the person was simply bleeding to death.
I think they are all wrong. It's not suffocation or exsanguination. It's a very slow exhaustion, a death of pure pain.

No, not at all.
In fact, may be due to my childhood experiences that I did not begin to view Catholicism normally until adulthood. In those years, some annoying "underground churches" had been trying to preach by intimidating other peoples, even the police wouldn't stopped them. It wasn't until I went to college in another city that I truly met some normal Catholics and Protestants, that's when I realized that not everyone who likes to go to church is a terrible intimidator.
Now I respect all normal religious beliefs and all good people with religious beliefs, this is unimaginable for me during my childhood.

I was baptized as a Protestant. But many of the others in our village came from East Prussia, Lithuania, Silesia, Romania (Transylvania), Hungary and Slavonia today in Poland, Lithuania, Hungary and Croatia. They were all Catholic, but that didn't bother us as children. The only difference was that we went to confirmation classes and the others went to communion classes.

I was baptized as a Protestant. But many of the others in our village came from East Prussia, Lithuania, Silesia, Romania (Transylvania), Hungary and Slavonia today in Poland, Lithuania, Hungary and Croatia. They were all Catholic, but that didn't bother us as children. The only difference was that we went to confirmation classes and the others went to communion classes.
They were probably more likely to see lots of crucifixes, and hear exciting stories about martyrs!

Back
Top Bottom