Public Executions In The Arena

Go to CruxDreams.com
The impact of the dragging on the body must have been worth a scourging, I would think.
Yes, they certainly did a belt and braces job on her,
if there was any skin left on her back after the scourging,
it would soon have been flayed off by the cobblestones :eek:

There is a book by Mika Waltari, a part of The Roman Trilogy. Polish edition of this book ("Wrogowie rodzaju ludzkiego") has an interesting cover art, showing a man and a young woman, both totally naked, tied to the crosses and being burned alive, watched by the Roman soldiers after setting fire to the wood heaped under their crosses.
Interesting cover, thanks for posting Andyman.
Is it coincidence that it is the cover of the Polish edition? A reference to Polish artworks on the persecution of Christians, e.g. Quo Vadis, or Jan Styka's panorama painting of Nero's circus.

The Roman (original title Ihmiskunnan Viholliset, literally Mankind's Enemies, and in Polish Wrogowie Rodzaju Ludzkiego) is a novel by the Finnish author Mika Waltari, published in 1964. Set in Rome, the book is a sequel to The Secret of the Kingdom, a novel about the early days of Christianity. The protagonist and narrator is Minutus, the son of Marcus, the main character of the previous novel. Minutus is a Roman citizen striving to survive without political entanglements.

In the novel, Minutus travels from Corinth to Britain, to Rome and then to Jerusalem. Through a boyhood friendship with Nero, he becomes a sometimes advisor, sometimes a tool, and sometimes a fool of the capricious emperor. A cruel fate makes him the commander of the menagerie that supplied the wild animals that tore his father and son to pieces, and the book was ostensibly written as a guide for his son, great-grandson of the Emperor Claudius.

Indeed, images of the cover of English language editions are just boring stereotype pictures of Romans in legionary armour or togas.

There is a book by Mika Waltari, a part of The Roman Trilogy. Polish edition of this book ("Wrogowie rodzaju ludzkiego") has an interesting cover art, showing a man and a young woman, both totally naked, tied to the crosses and being burned alive, watched by the Roman soldiers after setting fire to the wood heaped under their crosses.
What is the English Title?
I knowing and readed
-In this Sign
-Minutus, the Roman
cover.jpg Minutus der Roemer - Mika Waltari.jpg Michael der Finne - Mika Waltari.jpg In diesem Zeichen - Mika Waltari.jpg Der Renegat des Sultans - Mika Waltari.jpg (the third played a few chapter in my city)
I read this all. Very good Books!!

The Roman (original title Ihmiskunnan Viholliset, literally Mankind's Enemies, and in Polish Wrogowie Rodzaju Ludzkiego) is a novel by the Finnish author Mika Waltari, published in 1964. Set in Rome, the book is a sequel to The Secret of the Kingdom, a novel about the early days of Christianity. The protagonist and narrator is Minutus, the son of Marcus, the main character of the previous novel. Minutus is a Roman citizen striving to survive without political entanglements.

In the novel, Minutus travels from Corinth to Britain, to Rome and then to Jerusalem. Through a boyhood friendship with Nero, he becomes a sometimes advisor, sometimes a tool, and sometimes a fool of the capricious emperor. A cruel fate makes him the commander of the menagerie that supplied the wild animals that tore his father and son to pieces, and the book was ostensibly written as a guide for his son, great-grandson of the Emperor Claudius.

Indeed, images of the cover of English language editions are just boring stereotype pictures of Romans in legionary armour or togas.
OK, "Minutus, the Roman". thank you.
His wife Sabina, loves the whip.

What is the English Title?
I knowing and readed
-In this Sign
-Minutus, the Roman
View attachment 445288 View attachment 445289 View attachment 445290 View attachment 445291 View attachment 445292 (the third played a few chapter in my city)
I read this all. Very good Books!!

Works translated into English
Mika Waltari
Novels

I gather that the last two are linked -
if you enjoyed 'The Roman' you should read 'The Secret of the Kingdom' -
but maybe you have, tt seems difficult to find the titles of German translations of his works.
Andyman referred to a 'Roman Trilogy'; the (English) Wiki article only mentions those two
as being thematically linked, but maybe 'The Etruscan' was the (?) first part of the trilogy.

I gather that the last two are linked -
if you enjoyed 'The Roman' you should read 'The Secret of the Kingdom' -
but maybe you have, tt seems difficult to find the titles of German translations of his works.
Andyman referred to a 'Roman Trilogy'; the (English) Wiki article only mentions those two
as being thematically linked, but maybe 'The Etruscan' was the (?) first part of the trilogy.
"The Secret Kingdom" is the part before "Minutus, the Roman" = "In diesem Zeichen" ("In this sign") is the german title.
"The Etruscan" i not have and read.

unknown 013.jpg

An old illustration for Quo Vadis? . Author: unknown (illegible signature).

It's by one Richard Ranft (1862-1931), actually a postcard
in what seems to be a Polish online museum of ephemera
http://myvimu.com/exhibit/16234417-quo-vadis-pochonie-nerona-ranft
Quite interesting, a link from that page takes you through a whole collection of postcards
on the 'Quo Vadis' and 'Nero's Torches' themes,
mostly versions of paintings familiar here, but some 'sexed up' in interesting ways.
Here's another sample:

nero torches.jpg

BARBARA OF NICOMEDIA PUBLICLY TORTURED AS A CHRISTIAN

“Saint Barbara, also known as the Great Martyr Barbara, was an early Christian Greek martyr born mid-third century in Heliopolis, Phoenicia.

Barbara was the daughter to a rich pagan named Dioscorus. After the death of Barbara's mother, Dioscorus dedicated his life to his only daughter.

Barbara was known for being extremely beautiful. As a way of "protecting" her, Dioscorus shielded her from the world by locker her high up within a tower. He allowed only her pagan teachers to see her.

Barbara spent her days gazing upon the hills and admiring all of God's creations. She often pondered about the "First Cause and Creator of so harmonious and splendid a world." She soon realized the idols her father and teachers worshiped were not of God's creation.

Barbara secretly became a Christian and dedicated her life to knowing the true God and making Him known to others. She offered herself completely to the Lord, choosing a life of consecrated virginity.

As Barbara grew older, her father, Dioscorus began presenting men to her for marriage. She refused them all and warned her father that his persistence could forever damage their relationship.

Dioscorus allowed for Barbara to leave her tower, hoping some freedom would change her attitude. Barbara used this opportunity to meet other Christians. They taught her about the Lord Jesus, the Holy Trinity and the Church. A priest from Alexandria, disguised as a merchant, baptized Barbara into Christ and His Church.

While Barbara was out exploring the world, her father had a private bath-house built for her. The original architectural plans were for two windows to be built, but, while her father was away, Barbara advised the workers to make a third window creating a Trinity of light.

Barbara's bathhouse became a place full of healing power and many miracles occurred there. St. Simeon Metaphrastes even compared it to the stream of Jordan.

After Dioscorus returned, Barbara informed him she had become a Christian and would no longer worship his idols. Full of rage, her father grabbed his sword and went to strike her. Before he could do so, Barbara ran off.

Her father chased after her, but was abruptly stopped when a hill blocked his way. The hill opened and hid Barbara within a crevice. Dioscorus searched and searched for his daughter, but could not find her.

Dioscorus came across two shepherds and asked them if they had seen her. The first denied, but the second betrayed Barbara. Some legends indicate that he was turned to stone and his flock was turned into locusts.

Her father Dioscorus beat his daughter, locked her up and starved her. He then handed her over to Martianus, the prefect of the city. Together, they continued to beat and torture her, but Barbara never renounced her Christian faith. She prayed to Jesus and he appeared to heal her wounds. This only made Martianus try harder to get her to renounce the Lord and her Christian faith. She refused and her Lord gave her strength to stand firm.

Barbara, along with another virtuous Christian woman named Juliana, were injured with rakes and hooks and led naked throughout the city.

After Barbara prayed, an angel came and covered the pair with a robe and torches used to burn Barbara went out when they came near her.

Finally, Barbara was condemned to death by beheading by her father. Her martyrdom took place on December 4th.”

New roman arena 258-1-.jpg 01 Martyr 73733.jpg Barbara - Francke1E.jpg Barbara - Francke1G.jpg Barbara - Ratgeb1B.jpg Barbara 029.jpg Barbara 032part.jpg Barbara 056.jpg

BARBARA OF NICOMEDIA PUBLICLY TORTURED AS A CHRISTIAN

“Saint Barbara, also known as the Great Martyr Barbara, was an early Christian Greek martyr born mid-third century in Heliopolis, Phoenicia.

Barbara was the daughter to a rich pagan named Dioscorus. After the death of Barbara's mother, Dioscorus dedicated his life to his only daughter.

Barbara was known for being extremely beautiful. As a way of "protecting" her, Dioscorus shielded her from the world by locker her high up within a tower. He allowed only her pagan teachers to see her.

Barbara spent her days gazing upon the hills and admiring all of God's creations. She often pondered about the "First Cause and Creator of so harmonious and splendid a world." She soon realized the idols her father and teachers worshiped were not of God's creation.

Barbara secretly became a Christian and dedicated her life to knowing the true God and making Him known to others. She offered herself completely to the Lord, choosing a life of consecrated virginity.

As Barbara grew older, her father, Dioscorus began presenting men to her for marriage. She refused them all and warned her father that his persistence could forever damage their relationship.

Dioscorus allowed for Barbara to leave her tower, hoping some freedom would change her attitude. Barbara used this opportunity to meet other Christians. They taught her about the Lord Jesus, the Holy Trinity and the Church. A priest from Alexandria, disguised as a merchant, baptized Barbara into Christ and His Church.

While Barbara was out exploring the world, her father had a private bath-house built for her. The original architectural plans were for two windows to be built, but, while her father was away, Barbara advised the workers to make a third window creating a Trinity of light.

Barbara's bathhouse became a place full of healing power and many miracles occurred there. St. Simeon Metaphrastes even compared it to the stream of Jordan.

After Dioscorus returned, Barbara informed him she had become a Christian and would no longer worship his idols. Full of rage, her father grabbed his sword and went to strike her. Before he could do so, Barbara ran off.

Her father chased after her, but was abruptly stopped when a hill blocked his way. The hill opened and hid Barbara within a crevice. Dioscorus searched and searched for his daughter, but could not find her.

Dioscorus came across two shepherds and asked them if they had seen her. The first denied, but the second betrayed Barbara. Some legends indicate that he was turned to stone and his flock was turned into locusts.

Her father Dioscorus beat his daughter, locked her up and starved her. He then handed her over to Martianus, the prefect of the city. Together, they continued to beat and torture her, but Barbara never renounced her Christian faith. She prayed to Jesus and he appeared to heal her wounds. This only made Martianus try harder to get her to renounce the Lord and her Christian faith. She refused and her Lord gave her strength to stand firm.

Barbara, along with another virtuous Christian woman named Juliana, were injured with rakes and hooks and led naked throughout the city.

After Barbara prayed, an angel came and covered the pair with a robe and torches used to burn Barbara went out when they came near her.

Finally, Barbara was condemned to death by beheading by her father. Her martyrdom took place on December 4th.”

View attachment 446533 View attachment 446534 View attachment 446535 View attachment 446536 View attachment 446537 View attachment 446538 View attachment 446539 View attachment 446540

My namesake saint was apparently as defiant as I am. Imagine being led naked through the city, raked and whipped mercilessly and then seeing the astonishment on the faces of people in the jeering crowd and the faces of my tormentors when angels swooped down to my aid! Unfortunately those angels didn't save me from losing my head!

My namesake saint was apparently as defiant as I am. Imagine being led naked through the city, raked and whipped mercilessly and then seeing the astonishment on the faces of people in the jeering crowd and the faces of my tormentors when angels swooped down to my aid! Unfortunately those angels didn't save me from losing my head!

Hold on a minute, it says she was "virtuous". So any resemblance is just coincidental:p

Back
Top Bottom