Some Sketches

Go to CruxDreams.com
I feel the "mixed" executions to be especially humiliated for condemned women.

And it's possible that even if women are crucified much less frequently than men, they were perhaps more often stripped naked, abused and mutilated than their male comrades.

View attachment 436525 View attachment 436526 View attachment 436530 View attachment 436531 View attachment 436532 View attachment 436539 View attachment 436537 View attachment 436538

I think all of the above is true. ;)

Don't forget that the most popular executions were perhaps private ones, at the expense of the slave owner. It required only the declaration of his will and few sesterces per capita for the crucifying squad. Such kind of execution could be held really in the middle of the town or at the gates of the latifundium and it could include any "special options", if only the payment for executors was better than the standard.

WP_20161114_20_25_19_Pro.jpg WP_20161114_20_26_28_Pro.jpg WP_20161114_20_33_17_Pro.jpg WP_20161114_20_27_27_Pro.jpg WP_20161114_20_27_52_Pro.jpg WP_20161114_20_28_24_Pro.jpg WP_20161114_20_27_58_Pro.jpg WP_20161114_20_32_30_Pro.jpg

Don't forget that the most popular executions were perhaps private ones, at the expense of the slave owner. It required only the declaration of his will and few sesterces per capita for the crucifying squad. Such kind of execution could be held really in the middle of the town or at the gates of the latifundium and it could include any "special options", if only the payment for executors was better than the standard.

I read recently that the testimony of Roman slaves in court could only be accepted if it was extracted under torture. (I believe this is supposed to be from something that Tacitus wrote). The torture of Roman slaves in order to reveal the "truth" of their testimony in criminal matters was standard, widespread, and expected. I don't know if this is true but can well imagine it led up to the series of drawings in the post above.

Now that's an interesting order - traditionally, the good thief is the messiah's right (stage left), and the unrepentant thief on his left. (SYMBOLISM!) Is the innocent one in the middle of this Golgotha, or is she the one to the right?
No, I didn't suggest any changes in an archetype, the sequence in the title is not an indication of a sequence of the sketches. Of course the innocent shall be in the middle.

So many pictures Andy!

I like the idea of the pre-emptive crucifixion, a bit like Arnie's Terminator going after Sarah Connor.

Those crucifixions with the pegs under the armpits are a novel idea too, I don't think I've seen that before. And I do like a good mixed gender crux.

Your figures are a refreshing change from the usual, and you really capture the pain and desperation of being on the cross, very lively.

Now that's an interesting order - traditionally, the good thief is the messiah's right (stage left), and the unrepentant thief on his left. (SYMBOLISM!) Is the innocent one in the middle of this Golgotha, or is she the one to the right?
it reminds me of the unfortunate kindly gentleman who offers to help one of the condemned
carry his cross along the Via Crucis in The Life of Brian - the guy he's helping sneaks off and he gets crucified! :devil:

Back
Top Bottom