Translation Help

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yes it's a problem for the translation English / French ; generally, you say "tu" to the near friends ... and you for anybody ...
It's also a mark of respect ( vous) ...
There is no equivalent in English, and we Brits struggle to know when to say 'vous' and when to say 'tu' :confused:

What have I just said ???? :D
Ah, but where is the line between the near friends, and the polite acquaintances? Who has the right to turn vous into tu? Am I being presumptuous if I just start using tu?

What about you? I have never met you, I only know you on the internet, and yet I dare to use tu. :confused:

Google is good for translating single words, although for slang and acronyms more research is often needed. To translate complete sentences at least some basic knowledge of the language is recommended.
French and German are among the better translations. If you try to translate Russian many words remain untranslated and for Japanese it produces complete nonsense, unrelated to the subject.

One of my favorite examples of the distinction between "tu" and "vous" is the scene in the original French-language book of "Les Miserables" where, shortly after Jean Valjean was released from prison, an innkeeper was addressing him respectfully using "vous." Then he found out that Valjean was a convict, and immediately switched to "tu," indicating contempt.

I wondered how you could hope to capture that in an English translation.

Well, English used to have the same spilt. Just in Thou/You instead of Tou/Vous. Which is incidentally, why Wragg's little trick works, because "you" in English used to be only plural, and "thou" only singular, but now, of course, "you" fills both roles in English, making it ambiguous as to whether it is the singular or plural, whether it is formal or not, and this is a problem when translating; the translation usually safely defaults to being conservative and formal, unless given specific context not to me, like the use of an archaic and specifically singular word.

Of course, if we implemented our change to Les Miserables, Modern English readers of Les Mis would either not notice the switch between "You" and "Thou" , or notice it, and interpret it the opposite way, because of "Thou" now being seen as old-fashioned, and ironically, more formal.

Well, English used to have the same spilt. Just in Thou/You instead of Tou/Vous. Which is incidentally, why Wragg's little trick works, because "you" in English used to be only plural, and "thou" only singular, but now, of course, "you" fills both roles in English, making it ambiguous as to whether it is the singular or plural, whether it is formal or not, and this is a problem when translating; the translation usually safely defaults to being conservative and formal, unless given specific context not to me, like the use of an archaic and specifically singular word.

Of course, if we implemented our change to Les Miserables, Modern English readers of Les Mis would either not notice the switch between "You" and "Thou" , or notice it, and interpret it the opposite way, because of "Thou" now being seen as old-fashioned, and ironically, more formal.
The only person who is ever addressed as 'thou' is God.

And Messaline, of course.

But the Christian God is three persons in one? So You would be so much more appropriate?
Maybe it is only used when addressing individual members of the Godhead, Our Father... Thy will be done.

Better steer clear of Trinitarian Theology on Cruxforums... :rolleyes:

I hope Old Slave or Dorothy might come on and point out that "thou" was still in use quite recently in Yorkshire...

"Tha', son, has been on Ilkley Moor...."

There is no equivalent in English, and we Brits struggle to know when to say 'vous' and when to say 'tu' :confused:
A similar (well, more or less identical) problem occurs in Welsh too - the word for "you" can be either "ti" when adressing a friend, loved one, or a child, or "chi" which is used in more formal circumstances or with strangers.

I hope Old Slave or Dorothy might come on and point out that "thou" was still in use quite recently in Yorkshire...

Suppin' ale last neet, just caught up.

The Yorkshire Dictionary has the definitions tha = you thi = your (familiar)

My Little Book of Yorkshire has the following:

SOUND ADVICE ON WHEN TO USE THE FAMILIAR THEE:

Tha thi's them as thi's thee

if you're any the wiser after that, drink more ale

Back
Top Bottom