Bobnearled = Bobinder

Go to CruxDreams.com
I Found a Picture of You

"I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh.
Those were the happiest days of my life.
Like a break in the battle was your part, oh oh oh oh,
In the wretched life of a lonely heart."

From 'Back On The Chain Gang' by The Pretenders 1984.

The inspiration for this picture comes from Barbaria's blockbuster 'Berlin Diary' (in collaboration with Windar - see BDSM Forum/Mainly Poems and Stories - and - Forum Archive/Stories and Poems.) Barb generously invited her readers to speculate about the details regarding the tragic finale of the story.

Briefly, the heroine, US citizen Barbara Moore, and her German lover, Klaus Erbe, share an epic whirlwind of passion, risk-taking and danger in Berlin during the 1936 Olympics, ultimately escaping certain death by fleeing to Prague, where Barbara disappears. Bereft of his lover and any explanation, Klaus eventually becomes a US citizen and OSS operative during World War 2.

I imagined that Klaus returned to a devastated Berlin in May 1945, for the first time in nearly a decade, to gather evidence for impending War Crimes trials. "If you get any dirt on the Reds, so much the better!" The instructions had been explicit, following references to the Red Army's meteoric drive through East Prussia and the vindictive atrocities inflicted on the civilian population. Klaus didn't have any problem with such duties as a US Intelligence Officer; after all, the Germans were his people too.

Like the scene evoked by Chrissie Hynde in the song, I loved the idea of Klaus finding a picture, by chance in a newspaper and recognising a Berlin street scene depicting a group of Russian women soldiers. Nothing remarkable in that, except that one of them looks uncannily like Barbara and his heart and mind go racing back to 1936. Now his dilemma is one of divided loyalty.

If Barbara really is with the Soviets in Berlin, Klaus is obliged to investigate such activity by an American citizen, potentially discovering evidence of treason. But if he doesn't pursue this opportunity, he will never find the answers to Barbara's disappearance. Whatever else 'Berlin Diary' is (and it is many things - no spoilers - you'll have to read it) it is a love story. Deciding that his allegiance is to Barbara, and knowing he must respect her need for anonymity, he makes no further enquiries, but earnestly desires to believe that this picture confirms that she is safe (if serving in the front line with the Red Army can ever be considered safe!)

The picture found by Klaus was intended to be a casual and unremarkable group of women soldiers, unconsciously posed and oblivious to the camera. It had to appear to be an incidental photograph without attracting attention to any individual (the close-up portrait takes care of that by implying a double take by Klaus!) The best photographs of WW2 Red Army women are consciously posed, but I identified one group which was suitable for accidental recognition by Klaus. More than this, in searching for a similar facial type to Barb's alter-ego, Caprice, the woman second from left was a remarkably close match.

My next task was to find a portrait of Caprice (Barbara) taken at the same angle and with lighting and expression consistent with the original photograph. All of this facilitates mapping Caprice's face onto the original in Photoshop. I reversed and re-scaled Caprice, cut out her face and manoeuvred it over the photo, using a small rotation to map perfectly onto the eyes and mouth of the original image. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Photoshop automatically converted the colour image to the grey-scale of the original base photograph. (I think you can override this by starting with a colour picture.)

The next challenge was to achieve a consistent tonal density with the other faces in the picture. There may be a way of doing this in Photoshop, but I do not know how. Instead, I did it by trial and error in Openoffice Draw. The result still showed a hard edge around the facial cut line, so I moved it into Windows Paint and softened and blended it manually. In Paint I was able to make the necessary lighting corrections to match the other faces, dulling the whites of the eyes, as well as adding the photographic coarse-grained texture in a variety of tones, working in dots all over the face using the fine soft pencil tool.

Eventually I got Caprice's face almost matching the tone and texture of the other three in the group. I put the picture back into Openoffice Draw to convert it to sepia tone, and copied out the enlargement as a separate portrait. It was an interesting challenge but an enjoyable one, and it reflects a Soviet obsession with fake photography! And so, Barb, I 'found' a picture of you...

View attachment 439114 View attachment 439115 View attachment 439116 View attachment 439117 View attachment 439118
Oh wow Bob! Fascinating read on how you did that as well as the point about how carefully posed wartime pics of female Red Army soldiers were. But equally great for me is how this pic and the context for it that you have laid out here have inspired me to move ahead with plans to write a sequel to "Berlin Diary" in which Barbara Moore gets a last second reprieve from the firing squad execution that the recently released NKVD photos led us to believe was her fate. I won't reveal more here, but want to shout out here to Bob for inspiring me to imagine and write again!

Oh wow Bob! Fascinating read on how you did that as well as the point about how carefully posed wartime pics of female Red Army soldiers were. But equally great for me is how this pic and the context for it that you have laid out here have inspired me to move ahead with plans to write a sequel to "Berlin Diary" in which Barbara Moore gets a last second reprieve from the firing squad execution that the recently released NKVD photos led us to believe was her fate. I won't reveal more here, but want to shout out here to Bob for inspiring me to imagine and write again!
Thanks Barb - we inspire each other. One day the work of the Crux Forums Movement will be studied at degree level in the universities. It's a new Renaissance and together we're all making it happen! :D

Thanks Barb - we inspire each other. One day the work of the Crux Forums Movement will be studied at degree level in the universities. It's a new Renaissance and together we're all making it happen! :D

Bob-I've often said that I read quite a bit and come upon many published stories that aren't as good as some of the ones here. I'm honored to be a part of the crew here.

I don't know if you have read the story Barb and I did together a few months ago, "Plantation Plight"? If you liked "Berlin Diary" I think you may like that one too. It's very different in setting but somehow has things in common. And there is an announcement coming very soon in that thread:devil:

Bob-I've often said that I read quite a bit and come upon many published stories that aren't as good as some of the ones here. I'm honored to be a part of the crew here.

I don't know if you have read the story Barb and I did together a few months ago, "Plantation Plight"? If you liked "Berlin Diary" I think you may like that one too. It's very different in setting but somehow has things in common. And there is an announcement coming very soon in that thread:devil:
Thanks Windar. I have lots to catch up on here and the evidence indicates that great talents are thriving. It certainly feels good to be involved. I shall follow your recommendation and do 'Plantation Plight' next! Regards, Bob

I Found a Picture of You

The inspiration for this picture comes from Barbaria's blockbuster 'Berlin Diary' (in collaboration with Windar - see BDSM Forum/Mainly Poems and Stories - and - Forum Archive/Stories and Poems.) Barb generously invited her readers to speculate about the details regarding the tragic finale of the story.

Briefly, the heroine, US citizen Barbara Moore, and her German lover, Klaus Erbe, share an epic whirlwind of passion, risk-taking and danger in Berlin during the 1936 Olympics, ultimately escaping certain death by fleeing to Prague, where Barbara disappears. Bereft of his lover and any explanation, Klaus eventually becomes a US citizen and OSS operative during World War 2.

I imagined that Klaus returned to a devastated Berlin in May 1945, for the first time in nearly a decade, to gather evidence for impending War Crimes trials. "If you get any dirt on the Reds, so much the better!" The instructions had been explicit, following references to the Red Army's meteoric drive through East Prussia and the vindictive atrocities inflicted on the civilian population. Klaus didn't have any problem with such duties as a US Intelligence Officer; after all, the Germans were his people too.

Like the scene evoked by Chrissie Hynde in the song, I loved the idea of Klaus finding a picture, by chance in a newspaper and recognising a Berlin street scene depicting a group of Russian women soldiers. Nothing remarkable in that, except that one of them looks uncannily like Barbara and his heart and mind go racing back to 1936. Now his dilemma is one of divided loyalty.

If Barbara really is with the Soviets in Berlin, Klaus is obliged to investigate such activity by an American citizen, potentially discovering evidence of treason. But if he doesn't pursue this opportunity, he will never find the answers to Barbara's disappearance. Whatever else 'Berlin Diary' is (and it is many things - no spoilers - you'll have to read it) it is a love story. Deciding that his allegiance is to Barbara, and knowing he must respect her need for anonymity, he makes no further enquiries, but earnestly desires to believe that this picture confirms that she is safe (if serving in the front line with the Red Army can ever be considered safe!)

The picture found by Klaus was intended to be a casual and unremarkable group of women soldiers, unconsciously posed and oblivious to the camera. It had to appear to be an incidental photograph without attracting attention to any individual (the close-up portrait takes care of that by implying a double take by Klaus!) The best photographs of WW2 Red Army women are consciously posed, but I identified one group which was suitable for accidental recognition by Klaus. More than this, in searching for a similar facial type to Barb's alter-ego, Caprice, the woman second from left was a remarkably close match.

My next task was to find a portrait of Caprice (Barbara) taken at the same angle and with lighting and expression consistent with the original photograph. All of this facilitates mapping Caprice's face onto the original in Photoshop. I reversed and re-scaled Caprice, cut out her face and manoeuvred it over the photo, using a small rotation to map perfectly onto the eyes and mouth of the original image. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Photoshop automatically converted the colour image to the grey-scale of the original base photograph. (I think you can override this by starting with a colour picture.)

The next challenge was to achieve a consistent tonal density with the other faces in the picture. There may be a way of doing this in Photoshop, but I do not know how. Instead, I did it by trial and error in Openoffice Draw. The result still showed a hard edge around the facial cut line, so I moved it into Windows Paint and softened and blended it manually. In Paint I was able to make the necessary lighting corrections to match the other faces, dulling the whites of the eyes, as well as adding the photographic coarse-grained texture in a variety of tones, working in dots all over the face using the fine soft pencil tool.

Eventually I got Caprice's face almost matching the tone and texture of the other three in the group. I put the picture back into Openoffice Draw to convert it to sepia tone, and copied out the enlargement as a separate portrait. It was an interesting challenge but an enjoyable one, and it reflects a Soviet obsession with fake photography! And so, Barb, I 'found' a picture of you...

View attachment 439114 View attachment 439115 View attachment 439116 View attachment 439117 View attachment 439118
I don't know what effect she has on the enemy...
downloadfile-3.jpeg

etc...:rolleyes:

Oh Bob, i think you are the right....
Please read this thread and inspire Barb!
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/constantinople.4621/

Well, lethal I imagine -
I believe tonight she stated in your thread, "Yep, no one messes with me and lives to tell about it."

'The female of the species is more deadly than the male.' - Rudyard Kipling :devil:

View attachment 439135
These just get better and better!

Pure genius Bob

IMG_0951.JPG Now where out there is that wascily Wraggie ? ... I have a round here with his name on it!

Whatever else 'Berlin Diary' is (and it is many things - no spoilers - you'll have to read it) it is a love story.

You know it's interesting that you say that, because my recollection of the many discussions Barb and I had was that neither of us used those words. Which, by no means, precludes it being one.

I hope in addition to "Plantation Plight" http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/plantation-plight-by-barbaria-and-windar.5647/ you will read the sequel, "Mine Misery", which will be starting very shortly. That, I think it is fair to say, will be a love story of a sort. No spoilers-you will have to read it.

You know it's interesting that you say that, because my recollection of the many discussions Barb and I had was that neither of us used those words. Which, by no means, precludes it being one.

I hope in addition to "Plantation Plight" http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/plantation-plight-by-barbaria-and-windar.5647/ you will read the sequel, "Mine Misery", which will be starting very shortly. That, I think it is fair to say, will be a love story of a sort. No spoilers-you will have to read it.
Thanks Windar. The best stuff works on a variety of levels. Looking at the risks taken by both Klaus and Horst on Barbara's account, I would say they both respected her and loved her. It's a powerful motivation presented in a subtle way in the story (that's my interpretation anyway.) I look forward to more reading!

I Found a Picture of You

Amazing work Bobinder, it looks authentic. I bet it did take a lot of time and effort. I hope you find more inspiration, and share more artwork.

Back
Top Bottom