Cruxton Abbey

Go to CruxDreams.com
Russian Old Masters are currently proving popular in manipulations. From 1850, a painting by Pavel Fedotov - 'Bobinder, surprised by the arrival of Lord Wragg'... :eek:

'I was simply making a detailed study of the dorsal tattoo on one of the house maids - and maybe sharing a slice of toast with her...'

Pavel Fedotov The Aristocrats Breakfast pha1.jpg Pavel Fedotov The Aristocrats Breakfast pha2.jpg

It would seem that Alice managed to hide, before his Lordship entered the room to find anything untoward. Lord Wragg merely expressed his concern regarding Bobinder's extravagant taste in pyjamas, dressing gown and slippers - and enquired why on earth he was wearing a tea cosy on his head, when it should be warming the teapot on the breakfast table...

I only regret that we are unable to observe his Lordship's own attire during this particular incident! :facepalm:

I think it very fortuitous that a Russian master should, by happenstance we are led to believe, manage to paint not one, but two portraits of this quality within the span of about 20 seconds. Just shows what training will do. We must all be thankful that Pavel brought his paints and two decently stretched canvasses along to tea at the Abbey that day. That said, Bobinder did have some negotiating to do when Fedotov decided to use the first painting as blackmail. Bobinder got away with buying the painting to keep it out of Lord Wragg's hands, while he spent more time at the Abbey trying to get more of Alice into his own.

It's an excellent manip, of course, blending Alice nicely into the strangely decorated breakfast room. Let us not let the comedic subject distract us entirely from the craftsmanship involved in producing the image (both by old Fedotov and by Bob). :)

I think it very fortuitous that a Russian master should, by happenstance we are led to believe, manage to paint not one, but two portraits of this quality within the span of about 20 seconds. Just shows what training will do. We must all be thankful that Pavel brought his paints and two decently stretched canvasses along to tea at the Abbey that day. That said, Bobinder did have some negotiating to do when Fedotov decided to use the first painting as blackmail. Bobinder got away with buying the painting to keep it out of Lord Wragg's hands, while he spent more time at the Abbey trying to get more of Alice into his own.

It's an excellent manip, of course, blending Alice nicely into the strangely decorated breakfast room. Let us not let the comedic subject distract us entirely from the craftsmanship involved in producing the image (both by old Fedotov and by Bob). :)
Thanks very much for your critical appreciation, Jolly! I think the furnishings suggest a study of some kind, and in 1850 we are seeing a very young Bobinder indeed!
Alice's hair is semi-permed, making Rylsky's 'Phantom' series a distinctive one, although it has rarely yielded sources for manipulations.

Pavel Fedotov The Aristocrats Breakfast demo.jpg

The inserted figure is a composite, using a separate head and body, from the sources shown. This combination provides a pose in which the studio chair appears in approximately the same aspect as the one in the painting, and the height of the seat can be used for scaling the figure.

The new head is turned in the same direction as that of the painted figure. This provides a sense of character interaction, with both figures looking towards the third person whose hand is moving the curtain aside at the entrance. I like to think I may have increased the sense of tension and anticipation. ;)

in 1850 we are seeing a very young Bobinder indeed!
What does that say about Lord Wragg, who was presumably already pretty old in 1850? :eek:

Old enough, in any case, not to wear a tea-cosy, but Alice couldn't even manage that much attire. :rolleyes:

Yes, indeed, dashed glad to have these clever chaps and their paintbrushes under the old Cruxton Abbey rooftiles, what?

As I recall, his Lordship was going through something of a Davy Crockett phase... :eek:

Davy Crockett work a raccoon skin cap, if memory serves, not a plushy stuffed cat, but we take your point...I think. :rolleyes: :D

I don't think we have any Davy Crockett themed crux images - might be one or two by someone who did one of those wild West crux things, featuring Barb of the Pecos or something. Phlebas or Tree might know.

What does that say about Lord Wragg, who was presumably already pretty old in 1850? :eek:

Old enough, in any case, not to wear a tea-cosy,
I thought you reincarnated. Anyway the Abbey is a strange place, and as my alter-ego points out, age and death are somewhat flexible around here. You could be anyone at any age, in any time. ;)

As I recall, his Lordship was going through something of a Davy Crockett phase... :eek:
Davy Crockett wore a raccoon skin cap, if memory serves, not a plushy stuffed cat, but we take your point...I think. :rolleyes: :D

I don't think we have any Davy Crockett themed crux images - might be one or two by someone who did one of those wild West crux things
His Lordship was planning to meet somebody at The Alamo - just a few days before Lily's first appearance at Cruxton Abbey... :eek:

Meeting Lily at The Alamo.jpg

His Lordship was planning to meet somebody at The Alamo - just a few days before Lily's first appearance at Cruxton Abbey... :eek:

Suggesting that there was a direct British Airways flight from San Antonio to Heathrow. His lordship is scheming about something here, and it's not likely to be whether he gets a window seat. :D

I don't think we have any Davy Crockett themed crux images - might be one or two by someone who did one of those wild West crux things, featuring Barb of the Pecos or something. Phlebas or Tree might know.
I did a George Custer story-spoof some time back, but know of no story featuring D Crocket and his coonskin hat.

The Hay Wain

Recent research has shed new light on the socio-economic implications of English nineteenth century landscape painting. Specifically, a new study of John Constable's paintings from the 1820s reveals the surprising impact of slavery on Britain's economic recovery in the post Napoleonic era.

Constable The Hay Wain 1821 d1.jpg

The artist's pictures have long been acknowledged as nationalistic propaganda, promoting the idea of plentiful harvests and high rural productivity during the war years. Constable recorded his impressions of Flatford and Cruxton prior to the Abolition Act of 1833, but only now is the significant contribution of slave labour being recognised in such familiar works as 'The Hay Wain'.

Constable The Hay Wain 1821 detail 2.jpg

Significantly, the Abolition Act of 1807 only prohibited slave trading, not slave ownership, which certainly continued in the colonies until the 1833 Act came into effect. During the twenty six year interval when Constable was painting, many owners were stuck with the slaves they possessed and were unable to sell them legally. So, it is not unlikely that they were hired out to assist the farm labourers during harvest time.

Close scrutiny of 'The Hay Wain' reveals the presence of a general purpose slave who is surely not being carried away solely for entertainment value. The wain is empty, so the team is on its way to work. The farmer requires a full day's work, without tiring her prematurely with a long walk. Like the scythes and other harvesting implements, she is being transported to the field on the wagon. Whilst this might sound like a sobering thought, her duties probably include serving cider and other refreshments at lunchtime, so naturally, she may be flexible.

Occasionally when the National Gallery submits a priceless treasure for cleaning or restoration, previously unknown details come to light. But they rarely result in quite so much speculation, or require such a major reappraisal of the work in question. On the other hand, Mia is fairly well known in the 'Girls with Swords' thread as a regular Bare-Maidens fantasy warrior, and also as the star of Wragg's recent, illustrated crux tale, 'Gadriella of the Imperial Wood'. :)

Constable The Hay Wain 1821 detail 3.jpg

That's a lovely manip, with Mia getting a lift out to the fields where her presence will no doubt give the other farm hands a lift. What is not in the painting is the figure of Lord Wragg chasing after the cart - decorum you know. :rolleyes: :devil:

The Hay Wain

Recent research has shed new light on the socio-economic implications of English nineteenth century landscape painting. Specifically, a new study of John Constable's paintings from the 1820s reveals the surprising impact of slavery on Britain's economic recovery in the post Napoleonic era.

The artist's pictures have long been acknowledged as nationalistic propaganda, promoting the idea of plentiful harvests and high rural productivity during the war years. Constable recorded his impressions of Flatford and Cruxton prior to the Abolition Act of 1833, but only now is the significant contribution of slave labour being recognised in such familiar works as 'The Hay Wain'.

Significantly, the Abolition Act of 1807 only prohibited slave trading, not slave ownership, which certainly continued in the colonies until the 1833 Act came into effect. During the twenty six year interval when Constable was painting, many owners were stuck with the slaves they possessed and were unable to sell them legally. So, it is not unlikely that they were hired out to assist the farm labourers during harvest time.

Close scrutiny of 'The Hay Wain' reveals the presence of a general purpose slave who is surely not being carried away solely for entertainment value. The wain is empty, so the team is on its way to work. The farmer requires a full day's work, without tiring her prematurely with a long walk. Like the scythes and other harvesting implements, she is being transported to the field on the wagon. Whilst this might sound like a sobering thought, her duties probably include serving cider and other refreshments at lunchtime, so naturally, she may be flexible.

Occasionally when the National Gallery submits a priceless treasure for cleaning or restoration, previously unknown details come to light. But they rarely result in quite so much speculation, or require such a major reappraisal of the work in question. On the other hand, Mia is fairly well known in the 'Girls with Swords' thread as a regular Bare-Maidens fantasy warrior, and also as the star of Wragg's recent, illustrated crux tale, 'Gadriella of the Imperial Wood'. :)

You know, it is quite incredible how much the productivity of the Cruxton estate has increased since we took on Mia. Everyone is happy and works hard.

Either that or Lord Wragg has his attention elsewhere... :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, it doesn't always have to be a cross. I've always loved the contrast between a girl's body and rough wood! :)

Well, it's been a few months since we last dropped by Cruxton Abbey. Lord Wragg is home from his holidays in Scotland, and happy to settle in. There's no place like home, with your own things, the servants, the chamber and kitchen slavegirls, your dungeons with all their recreational opportunities, and your well-stocked wine cellar. Unfortunately, when he wandered down the ancient stairs to find a decent bottle of Bordeaux that Messaline had sent him for Christamas last year, he found that it had been not only opened, but emptied. The culprits were not hard to find - there was a telltale broken wine glass or two on the flagstone floor, and @Kathy was snoring softly in the corner, cradling the empty bottle.

@Barbaria1 put up a feeble defence - something about broken wine glasses always being blamed on her - but the keys to the wine cellar were found in her room, hidden under the pillow of a four-poster bed. Both Barb and Kathy were sentenced to 3 days of slave duty in the gardens.

Kathy took it in stride. "You know, Barb, it's not so bad. At least we weren't dragged to the dungeons and flogged. And we get to work in the sunshine."
"But why do we have to do all this gardening buck naked?" asked Barb. "For all I know, Wragg has infested the place with bugs, just to annoy me."
"Better not push your luck," said Kathy. "His lordship was not in a good mood about us drinking his wine."
"Oh, well," said Barb. "I suppose it will at least keep my dress from getting dirty. But I bet we get a whipping later anyway."
"I don't know," said Kathy slyly. "Lord Wragg said he'd see me on a four-poster later on."
Barb rolled her eyes.

GardeningSlaves1.jpg

Last edited:
Wragg has infested the place with bugs, just to annoy me."
No, no, Sweetie. The bugs are to spy on you.

To make sure you don't misbehave, what?

Lord Wragg is home from his holidays in Scotland, and happy to settle in.
Too right. Two weeks in Eulalia's freezing cold and haunted castle is quite enough for anyone.

And thank you for the welcome update to the illustrated annals of Cruxton Abbey!

"I don't know," said Kathy slyly. "Lord Wragg said he'd see me on a four-poster later on."
Barb rolled her eyes.

1633389533942.png
A lucky outcome for the girls, and the perfect way to work off a hangover. Kathy is granted a concession in the form of sun shades, but she remains identifiable by her distinctive piscine tattoo. Barb has evidently lost all the buttons from her dress, but she is struggling defiantly to preserve her modesty.

This is a particularly clever composition, the repeat in the ferns and foliage being successfully disguised by the perfectly extracted figures. The lighting and colour saturation are neatly balanced between components from different sources, and the effect is most convincing. Producing this degree of verisimilitude with bright directional sunlight is a magnificent achievement indeed, and to say that this is a quick example of manipulation is quite remarkable. Well done, Jolly! :)

A Tour of the Abbey Grounds with Alice

Continuing the garden theme, one of the most popular tasks for the maids at Cruxton Abbey is collecting fresh flowers from the gardens to create floral displays for the house. Alice's recent appearances in the 'Member Birthdays' thread have shown her wandering through the Abbey grounds, apparently engaged upon this task, and so I thought it would be appropriate to bring these pictures together in a single post.

Strolling through the flower garden, Alice is swiftly overcome by the intoxicating fragrance of the sweet peas. Her dilated pupils are actually the result of low lighting in the studio session which yielded the portraits for these manipulations. She enters the orchard in search of fruit, but the apples have already been harvested, and the trees are starting to show their autumn colours.

Beyond the orchard lies the wooded wilderness, containing an abundance of ivy and nettles. Lord Wragg is not so fond of these plants for his interior decorations, and they are best left undisturbed. Some of the trees have been felled to provide 'premium timber', and the discarded roots and branches form mysterious piles of dead entanglements.

Emerging from the wilderness, Alice enters a landscaped park, bathed in evening sunlight and studded with exotic shrubs and trees. She thinks one of these might be a Crimean Pine, since it reminds her of the ones she admired in Yalta. Bordering the park is her favourite place, the wild flower meadow. This is rumoured to be a location in which the maids and guests have disappeared together for hours at a time. And so yet again, I fear there will be a bouquet of dandelions on Lord Wragg's dining table tonight! :D

hb-phlebas-2021-basinst-mpl-2.jpg hb-LCSlave-2021-basinst15-det180pc.jpg hb-elephas-2021-binst04-det150pc.jpg hb-nicole-2021-basinst03.jpg The Wilderness at Cruxton Abbey 1.jpg

The Wilderness at Cruxton Abbey 2.jpg hb-baronvs-2021-basisnst27-det140pc.jpg The Wild Flower Meadow at Cruxton Abbey 4.jpg The Wild Flower Meadow at Cruxton Abbey 3.jpg The Wild Flower Meadow at Cruxton Abbey 6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom