Death And The Maiden

Go to CruxDreams.com
Trying out @melissa 's Imgur tutorial for this version of death & the maiden - 'Return of the Elder Gods' edition.

o5vNptb.jpg

I think the artist just likes them in general (and may have a bit of a bronze age fetish) but that would be something for the warriors thread ...

You know the more I look at the picture the more I wonder if it has multiple layers. I first saw the woman as a nun but it might be a Tanit like Goddess having nun of it (sorry resistance was futile) and the larger more warlike being may be another aspect of her godhood (a kind of trinity arrangement albeit possibly binary in this case).

I feel I could over think this quite happily for hours.

Last edited:
You know the more I look at the picture the more I wonder if it has multiple layers. I first saw the woman as a nun but it might be a Tanit like Goddess having nun of it (sorry resistance was futile) and the larger more warlike being may be another aspect of her godhood (a kind of trinity arrangement albeit possibly binary in this case).

I feel I could over think this quite happily for hours.
Well why not have the Maiden and Death as two faces of one godhood; the gods are always full of riddles.
Pondering them too long though, will always break our minds.

VllwERf.jpg

Well why not have the Maiden and Death as two faces of one godhood; the gods are always full of riddles.
Pondering them too long though, will always break our minds.
Or as Terry Pratchett reminded us, it's enough to know the gods are there. If you start believing in them, you only encourage them.

Anyhow, this one belongs to the category "Death is the maiden" instead of "Death and the maiden",

in a discussion elsewhere (in the context of a sacrifice offered to bring rains after long drought)
the problem of the sacrifice expiring by sunstroke came up,

which reminded me that there's a Deathmaiden dedicated to that job,

in Lusatia she's known as Pripoldnica, also otherwise in the Slavic world as poludnitsa / poludnica, the Noonwraith or plainly, Lady Midday, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Midday

... I don't know if she's ben seen here before,

Modern depictions range from a zombified figure to a sexy reaper, though in the tales she is often spoken of as a character who can appear as quite normal person, and will during the noon hour engage her prospective victims in a tricky conversation and let them go if they can pass all the tests ... if they fail, she harvests their lives ...

As opposed to Jolly, her signature tool is the sickle, and not the scythe, and she's associated with white dress & bright light, not black capes and night...

These might be somwehat compatible to the traditional idea ... typically bothering the countryfolk in the fields
Poludnitsa7-min-e1520799953809.jpg scale_1200.png Poludnica00.jpg 89598975_226597535156084_6474060422955135566_n.jpg 98132825_1760110317462738_7428443222059395320_n.jpg

zombified versions
110355048_723779525128324_3931642465479255590_n.jpg DZevY9fVoAAlCDV.jpg

and some more
poludenica.jpg 91696191_146662056877384_838629143715891600_n.jpg 7MgRH9lHOXI.jpg

Not sure where this one fits but maybe here...
View attachment 883267
I think that's on the same theme as Goethe's "Heidenröslein"

A boy saw a wild rose
growing in the heather;
it was so young, and as lovely as the morning.
He ran swiftly to look more closely,
looked on it with great joy.
Wild rose, wild rose, wild rose red,
wild rose in the heather.

Said the boy: I shall pluck you,
wild rose in the heather!
Said the rose: I shall prick you
so that you will always remember me.
And I will not suffer it.

And the impetuous boy plucked
the wild rose from the heather;
the rose defended herself and pricked him,
but her cries of pain were to no avail;
she simply had to suffer.*

As set by Schubert:

* I'm not sure this shouldn't be 'his' (and Schubert surely saw it alluding to his STD) -
Half ihm doch kein Weh und Ach,
Musst es eben leiden.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom