Hanna Outside The Wall

Go to CruxDreams.com

Wragg

Chronicler of Crux
Staff member
By God, I take my hat off to the artists on these forums.

I've got a trial copy of Paint Shop Pro, thought I'd have a bash at manipulating some photos.

I probably should have taken a week or two to get the hang of it but I sailed in there, but it's taken me DAYS to get to an image which is even halfway presentable! I couldn't get anything to the right angle, I couldn't get the layers to the right size, the colours didn't look right, my laptop nearly ended up in the bin, and I'm rather minded to bid it a not so fond farewell at the end of the 30 day trial. :(

Anyway, here's Hanna, nailed up for all to see outside the walls, probably for crimes against photomanipulation. Hope you enjoy it.

Hanna outside the city wall.jpg

W

I've got a trial copy of Paint Shop Pro, thought I'd have a bash at manipulating some photos.

I probably should have taken a week or two to get the hang of it but I sailed in there, but it's taken me DAYS to get to an image which is even halfway presentable! I couldn't get anything to the right angle, I couldn't get the layers to the right size, the colours didn't look right, my laptop nearly ended up in the bin, and I'm rather minded to bid it a not so fond farewell at the end of the 30 day trial. :(

Anyway, here's Hanna, nailed up for all to see outside the walls, probably for crimes against photomanipulation. Hope you enjoy it.

View attachment 93963

W
and hanna is good nailed

View attachment 93963

Hey you have made the effort and made a start and to my eyes it looks none too bad. At the very worst it is beginning from which you can improve and so I applaud your efforts to master a new skill and hope to see more in the future :)

If that is your first shot welcome to Crux Forums puberty!!!

You did well. I don't know what program you are using or it you are using layers (Tree does not because he is a Neanderthal) but most have some sort of a blend tool that really merges the picture you drop in into the background. You do lose a bit of detail but drink a bit and have some sex and it just doesn't matter...

T

Great job!
This coming from someone that can surprise herself and then curse herself for forgetting half of what she had learned.
Keep active or it all fades and you have to start over again.

View attachment 93963

W

Wragg, for a first try it's fine!
That girl was asking to be crucified, she's in my folder of raw materials too. I like the composition, I like the cross you've constructed. Did you use a tool to cut the girl out? She's just a little rough. There are plenty of good things going for the picture. With experience and advice you'll get the hang of it, and get it all to blend together better, don't give up!
What version of PSP is it? It's my tool of choice, my current copy is about 10 years old though. I'd like to know if it is worth upgrading (tools must have improved in 10 years)?

Your manip reminds me a little of this one that I did years ago, a different style but the same theme

Phlebas

Attachments

• ph034.jpg
    ph034.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 427
I'd like to know if it is worth upgrading (tools must have improved in 10 years)? -Phlebas

Tools change but the best live on... a hammer... a spike...

T
A gentle pour and a long pull????

K. For a ROBUST and FREE image editing program that rivals Adobe Photoshop, all you interested should seriously try GIMP:

http://www.gimp.org/
This gets my full seal of approval. I use gimp to clean up my uploaded sketches, and maybe even for the occasionally manip. Good work so far, especially being your first post. The edges are a little rough, especially on the top of the cross, the edge of the breast, and the neck. The nail is pretty good, and your choice of victim is excellent. Hopefully you can do some more manips and post them!

View attachment 93963

W
Crime against photo manipulation:eek: Sould we nail Tree n Phlebas also or Messa n I go on crosses ? I must b secretly n carefully manip frm now on ;)

If you nail Tree who nails you???

Tree

...Gunner, Bull, secure the perimeter...

Tree and Gunner could so easily be nailed.

But would anyone really prefer air dried sausage over honey smoked ham????

Wragg, for a first try it's fine!
That girl was asking to be crucified, she's in my folder of raw materials too. I like the composition, I like the cross you've constructed. Did you use a tool to cut the girl out? She's just a little rough. There are plenty of good things going for the picture. With experience and advice you'll get the hang of it, and get it all to blend together better, don't give up!
What version of PSP is it? It's my tool of choice, my current copy is about 10 years old though. I'd like to know if it is worth upgrading (tools must have improved in 10 years)?

Your manip reminds me a little of this one that I did years ago, a different style but the same theme

Phlebas
Thanks to all for the kind words.

I went for PSP because you mention it in your tutorial on the Foundation, Phlebas, this is version 6X. I went round her first with an edge eraser but I too thought she looked rough, compared with Boudicca on your latest posting.

I know I was a bit grumpy last night but my impression of PSP is of a program that is powerful if mastered.

But just because we're using a computer doesn't make it easy; people like you do difficult and skilled work: Respect!

W

Phlebas
thks phlebas that one was an ph-number missed in my collection.:devil:

I couldn't get anything to the right angle, I couldn't get the layers to the right size, the colours didn't look right (...)

That you actually notice this stuff means you're already five steps ahead. Some people will merge two completely different pictures with rough edges, no positioning whatsoever etc. left intact and leave it so, deeming their work done. Pfeh.

A protip from semi-newb (though a fellow PSP user, too): use and abuse feathering. Its potential is incredible, especially combined with point-to-point selections.
Another protip: Clone Brush is the best tool on Earth.

edit
I did some edge fixing for fun. Nothing thorough, just some tweaking here and there to kill the boredom. Not that I could do any drastic changes without access to layers...
Hanna outside the city wall.jpg

Last edited:
Good tips, Cast. In Corel the 'feather' is called 'blend' and it softens the picture into the background without distorting it much...

We look forward to more of both Wragg's and Cast's work...

Tree

Back
Top Bottom