How To Talk For Artists And Users (Rendering)

Go to CruxDreams.com
I would like to try to make a similar 3d picture to the one I posted... the artist who drew it was really talented..

thanks for the help !
There's a lot of characters in that scene. I wish you well with it in 3D, I fear that it will be difficult. I find that if I have more than one character in any scene that I make, the render time suddenly lengthens. That's why a lot of my art only has one character (!)

Taking a break from my AI experiment and trying out method to improve my 3d render quality i just discovered that by downsampling a rendered image like a 3840x2160 render
and then downsampling it to 1920x1080 the downsampled image is of a much better quality than one rendered at 1920x1080,this is probably common knowledge to digital photographer or movie maker but new to me.
I think that this method is now used in video games.

May be helpful to 3d creator that would like to upload their render a resolution higher that 1920x1080 but cannot.

Test Light2 rendered at 1920x1080.jpgTest Light2 rendered at 3840 Resized to1920.jpg

Taking a break from my AI experiment and trying out method to improve my 3d render quality i just discovered that by downsampling a rendered image like a 3840x2160 render
and then downsampling it to 1920x1080 the downsampled image is of a much better quality than one rendered at 1920x1080,this is probably common knowledge to digital photographer or movie maker but new to me.

May be helpful to 3d creator that would like to upload their render a resolution higher that 1920x1080.

View attachment 1317670View attachment 1317671
Those 2 render are zoomed in.

This method also help getting rid of those "speck" Iray artifacts (those annoying white small dots) without using a post denoised filter that might blurry the final image.
Left image rendered at 1920x1080 right image rendered at 5760x3240 and downsampled to 1920x1080.
How come i just learned about this!
Comparo.jpg

This method also help getting rid of those "speck" Iray artifacts (those annoying white small dots) without using a post denoised filter that might blurry the final image.
Left image rendered at 1920x1080 right image rendered at 5760x3240 and downsampled to 1920x1080.
How come i just learned about this!
View attachment 1317674
Do I understand correctly that you render it at 5760x3240 in daz3d, and then edit it at 1920x1080 in hotoshop?

am I right? or did i get it wrong??

I think it's mostly the softening/blurring effect that can cover the imperfections (e.g. the "speck" or "fireflies") a 3D renderer can sometimes produce.

If you downsample a large image with tiny white small noises, they'll get averaged out in the process so the overall result may look smoother.

Changing the resolution of a rendered image can also be a useful trick with AI too. With AI, it can work the opposite way so the image may gain details instead of losing them when they get upscaled, depending on the method used.

So, if your render contains errors or inconsistencies, you can downsample it to make them less pronounced then upscale it again to a blurry image, which the AI will convert to a high-quality version without the original blemishes.

May be helpful to 3d creator that would like to upload their render a resolution higher that 1920x1080 but cannot.
Interesting finding! I believe the downsampling will enhance the image quality, but seems it need powerful GPU and longer render time to produce 2K or 4K image before downscale it.
My friend (a Pixiv's comic artist) has contrary workflow, he rendered 1080p image then upscale it to 4K without quality loss using AI upscale tool, that way he can render and produce comics faster than previously

Do I understand correctly that you render it at 5760x3240 in daz3d, and then edit it at 1920x1080 in hotoshop?

am I right? or did i get it wrong??
You are right!
You render as high as your video card can.
3840x2160 also gives good results.
Then using photoshop or gimp you resize it to 1920x1080.

Interesting finding! I believe the downsampling will enhance the image quality, but seems it need powerful GPU and longer render time to produce 2K or 4K image before downscale it.
My friend (a Pixiv's comic artist) has contrary workflow, he rendered 1080p image then upscale it to 4K without quality loss using AI upscale tool, that way he can render and produce comics faster than previously
I forgot to mention that you need a fairly powerful video card to render at high resolution,thankfully price of GPU as become more affordable lately.
AI upscaling is another option.

I forgot to mention that you need a fairly powerful video card to render at high resolution,thankfully price of GPU as become more affordable lately.
AI upscaling is another option.
I just tried AI upscaling, and honestly I'm in awe!!!

what ai can do with an image is something (ai only removes errors in the image and the result is beauty!)

I don't like AI, but this suits us..

But AI upscaling is mostly paid... so I have a question if there is no really good program that I could use.

If you have a good graphics card with a minimum of 6 Gb VRAM (10+ recommended), you can install Automatic's (or "A11's, as it's sometimes called) WebUI for Stable Diffusion on your local PC.

Personally, I recommend Vladmandic's fork of the project as it has better default settings and many more useful features.

If your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirement, on the other hand, I think your best option could be using one of the free hosted versions such as Stable Horde, or rent a cloud machine dedicated to the job. They charge on an hourly basis but it's quite affordable if you keep the server turned off when you don't use it.

PC Build for Year 2023​

Alright, now it's 2023 and lots of new hardware releases from both processors and graphics cards. I'm planning to buy a new PC with $1,500 budget and need recommendations from (senior) DAZ Studio users in here, especially the GPU specification to process iray rendering. Could all of you in here share your current PC specifications and are they sufficient for DAZ Studio use, especially when rendering heavy scenes, or do you have good PC build's recommendation. Please note I prefer using Intel instead of AMD, since I want to have a p-Core and e-Core for other works. And as GPU definitely should be NVidia since Iray only support that. Does a RTX 3060 already sufficient or I better take RTX 4070. All of your suggestion are highly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

PC Build for Year 2023​

Alright, now it's 2023 and lots of new hardware releases from both processors and graphics cards. I'm planning to buy a new PC with $1,500 budget and need recommendations from (senior) DAZ Studio users in here, especially the GPU specification to process iray rendering. Could all of you in here share your current PC specifications and are they sufficient for DAZ Studio use, especially when rendering heavy scenes, or do you have good PC build's recommendation. Please note I prefer using Intel instead of AMD, since I want to have a p-Core and e-Core for other works. And as GPU definitely should be NVidia since Iray only support that. Does a RTX 3060 already sufficient or I better take RTX 4070. All of your suggestion are highly appreciated!
Oh wow, didn't expect there'd be this sort of thread on Crux too.
I'm currently on a 3090Ti, moved out of 3060 12GB and I'm happy since 3090Ti's ridiculous 24GB Vram is now worth its size using AI stuffs and such.

BUT strictly for DAZ studio, 3060 12GB would do fine for most of you
UNLESS you want a whole crowd of people (like, over 6 people) in a scene.

Forget about those E-cores for something else thing though, as far as I experienced DAZ wants some good single-core performance for loading up things. Used to own a HEDT with 16 cores, and it sucked haha. a 'mere' 5800X had it beat easily, and the actual renderings are done on GPU only (if you don't want to waste electricity on CPU renders too)

Yes, IRAY so Nvidia only
but it's only a matter of time once VRAM has been settled so even a 3060 12GB would do fine.
Of course 4070 12GB would be better, but I doubt the price difference is worth it.
I suggest an intel CPU not so high (even a cheap 12400F would do) and invest more in GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently on a 3090Ti, moved out of 3060 12GB and I'm happy since 3090Ti's ridiculous 24GB Vram is now worth its size using AI stuffs and such.

Forget about those E-cores for something else thing though, as far as I experienced DAZ wants some good single-core performance for loading up things. Used to own a HEDT with 16 cores, and it sucked haha. a 'mere' 5800X had it beat easily, and the actual renderings are done on GPU only (if you don't want to waste electricity on CPU renders too)

Yes, IRAY so Nvidia only
but it's only a matter of time once VRAM has been settled so even a 3060 12GB would do fine.
Of course 4070 12GB would be better, but I doubt the price difference is worth it.
I suggest an intel CPU not so high (even a cheap 12400F would do) and invest more in GPU.
I agree! If you choose a RTX3060 avoid the RTX3060TI that is having only 8 gig of vram instead of the base 3060 that is 12 gig vram

Yes, IRAY so Nvidia only
Thank you for your opinion! Seems DAZ is better running through AMD instead of Intel right, I'll look thru this and see what I'll come up with the specs. You have awesome 3090 Ti, I wish one day I have spare budget for that kind of GPU, since it will long term use. I agree with you it's better lower down the processor specs so I can invest more for GPU.
One more consideration for me is Memory type, should I go with older DDR4 or now it's better with DDR 5 for more future proof

I agree! If you choose a RTX3060 avoid the RTX3060TI that is having only 8 gig of vram instead of the base 3060 that is 12 gig vram
Yes, I was tempeting with 3060 Ti since it's more CUDA cores but like you said, nowadays 8gb VRAM is not sufficient and should better choose higher one. I also interest with new 4060 Ti with 16gb VRAM, it's more future proof but the price slightly below 4070 12gb so still have to think over.

Thank you for your opinion! Seems DAZ is better running through AMD instead of Intel right, I'll look thru this and see what I'll come up with the specs. You have awesome 3090 Ti, I wish one day I have spare budget for that kind of GPU, since it will long term use. I agree with you it's better lower down the processor specs so I can invest more for GPU.
One more consideration for me is Memory type, should I go with older DDR4 or now it's better with DDR 5 for more future proof

Yes, I was tempeting with 3060 Ti since it's more CUDA cores but like you said, nowadays 8gb VRAM is not sufficient and should better choose higher one. I also interest with new 4060 Ti with 16gb VRAM, it's more future proof but the price slightly below 4070 12gb so still have to think over.
Oh wait no, it might sound misleading.
I was to say anything strong at single core should be better, just with preferably 6 to 8 cores for these days though.
So yes, AMD 7600, 7800, 5800 or such things should work fine
while Intel 13600K or such might crush AMD counterparts too, just not by a big margin.
It's just that something like an Intel 10980XE like CPU might sound fancy, but actually perform worse than say, an Intel i5 11400.

I'd definitely choose an Intel i3 12100F if I can use the saved money on an used RTX3090 or such.
VRAMs rock, and CPUs... meh.

on the RAM, I personally never saw any significant difference, but it should differ on every PC i guess.
for the time I was opting for my PC, DDR5 prices simply were about double the DDR4 prices, so I had to go for DDR4
SINCE I saw, and suggest a 64GB ram. 32GB a minumum, but I actually saw several scenes going over 32GB.
and DDR5, if filling up 4 banks, I heard it tends to go low in performance (still better than DDR4 tho) so might not be worth the price?
Though, If DDR5 prices at your place is dirt cheap, it should be future proofing yes.

YES, there are extensions for DAZ studio that lower the RAM and VRAM usages, but I think the investment is worth the price when using DAZ a LOT.

AND I too suggest checking out 4060Ti 16GB, it's not that much of an improvement in performance, but that 16GB VRAM, definitely usable if not pouring money for 24GB beasts.
Just watch out for RTX 3060 8GB traps everyone. This one even has lower performance! Phew, nvidia.

Hi,
just a question to all the fine artists around here.
Is there anybody who would like to set a story of mine in rendered pics?
All details I would love to talk about in pm.
Best regards

Back
Top Bottom