Judicial Corporal Punishment Of Women: Illustrations

Go to CruxDreams.com
View attachment 903741

This is from "The Red Queens" by Hugdebert -- a comic book adaptation of the conflict between the Merowingian queens Brunhilda and Fredegund in the Frankish empire of the late sixth century AD. Surprisingly, it's historically reasonably accurate. This panel shows the reaction of Brunhilda when Fredegund sent her daughter to negotiate a peace.

The rest of the comic is here:

Brunhilda herself was eventually either torn apart by wild horses or dragged to death behind a wild horse (sources vary), as shown here first by Hugdebert and then (barely less luridly) in various historical prints -- a favourite subject of French illustrators over the years:

View attachment 903742View attachment 903743View attachment 903750View attachment 903751View attachment 903752View attachment 903753View attachment 903754View attachment 903755

Getting back to the Merovingians and Hugdebert's lurid comic book adaptation, I have found lots of historical images of Brunhilda's death by being torn apart (or dragged to death) by wild horses, but not of the other Hugdebert scene I've posted: the whipping at the order of Brunhilda of Clarinde, the daughter and peace emissary of her rival queen Fredegund, followed by having her sodomised by an ass.

I was sure I had previously seen a source saying this was actual historical fact but I couldn't lay my hand on it. I've found it now in an essay posted to a French bulletin board which is almost verbatim the plot of Hugdebert's comic:

The paragraphs on the respective fates of Clarinde and Brunhilda are:

"En 585, Frédégonde voulut conclure une trêve avec Brunehaut. Pour se faire, elle lui envoya Clarinde, la fille qu’elle avait eu avec un des hommes de la cour d’Austrasie à l’époque de Sigebert. La réponse de Brunehaut fut sans équivoque : voulant venger la mort de sa sœur et de son mari Brunehaut fit fouetter l’émissaire jusqu’au sang et la fit sodomiser par un âne, avant de la renvoyer à sa mère. "

"In 585, Fredegund wanted to make a truce with Brunhilda. To negotiate, she sent Clarinde, the daughter she had with one of the men at the court of Austrasia in the time of Sigebert. Brunhilda's response was unequivocal: wanting to avenge the death of her sister and her husband, Brunhilda had the envoy whipped to the blood and sodomised by an ass, before sending her back to her mother."

However, Clarinde got her revenge in the end. Her half-brother Clotaire II (who was crowned in 587 at age 14, and impregnated both his mother Fredegund and his half-sister Clarinde on the night of his coronation) was the king who tortured and executed Brunhilda some 30 years later, in 613. Here, Hugdebert is actually pulling his punches. The essay linked above says:

"En 613, las de la guerre qui ruinait la Gaule les Francs décidèrent d’éliminer la dernière des « reines rouges ». Brunehaut, alors âgée de 63 ans, se déplaçait toujours avec un harem de jeunes hommes pour la « satisfaire ». Elle s’était remariée avec l’un de ses neveux : Mérovée. Brunehaut était devenue despotique et aigris envers son peuple. Lors d’une nuit d’orgie elle fut saisie par sa garde et emprisonnée. Les nobles d’Austrasie décidèrent de s’en débarrasser en lui faisant payer son autoritarisme, ses crimes, et sa cruauté. Pendant trois jours elle fut affreusement torturée au fer rouge et fouettée, les seins transpercés par des pointes d’acier. Exhibée nue sur un chameau à travers Colmar, sa capitale, elle fut violée par nombre de soldats de son armée et enfin mise à mort, la tête attachée à la queue d’un cheval au galop.

A partir de 614 la paix prit effet entre les Francs avec pour seul roi Clotaire II. Clarinde vécue à ses côtés "

"(...) For three days, [Brunhilda] was tortured terribly with red hot irons and whipped, her breasts pierced with steel points. Exhibited naked on a camel through Colmar, her capital, she was raped by many soldiers in her army and finally put to death, her head tied to the tail of a galloping horse.

From 614 peace took hold amongst the Franks under the sole King Clotaire II. Clarinde lived by his side"

In other words, Hugdebert didn't need to invent anything for his comic book adaptation. Not sure how they managed to get hold of a camel in Alsace in 613, or why.

Last edited:
Queen Brunehaut was about eighty when she was executed. For sure an exceptionally high age to reach during that era. But her high age did not protect her from getting executed in a cruel way.

In Northern France and Belgium are a number of very ancient roads, with a straight track over tens of kilometers, which are named 'Chaussée Brunehaut" (Brunehaut roads), named after her. They are thought to be Roman roads, although some may be older.

Humor from Neprakta from "S Nepraktou u výprasku" (2008).

Neprakta (711).jpgNeprakta (712).jpgNeprakta (713).jpgNeprakta (724).jpg

1. I don't understand how a good secretary can do three hundred strokes per minute!
2. And you have to think it is Easter!
3. With a sullen virgin a hazel rod can do more than an arrangement.
4. No one has compassion for man! My doctor explicitly forbade me to work in a noisy environment!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom