Manipulations by Hammers

Go to CruxDreams.com
I love this one! You can imagine her being marched from her judgement to be fitted with a patibulum. The glaring sunshine in the courtyard tells of the sort of hot day she's going to have, as she is marched out to the place of execution, with additional foreshadowing of terrible things to come provided by the girl hanging from the wall. Great work.
This one is also interesting - you've fit the two crucifixions in and blended them well. I think you're doing a fine job of maintaining the texture of the original image. Nice work here too. :)

I love this one! You can imagine her being marched from her judgement to be fitted with a patibulum. The glaring sunshine in the courtyard tells of the sort of hot day she's going to have, as she is marched out to the place of execution, with additional foreshadowing of terrible things to come provided by the girl hanging from the wall. Great work.

This one is also interesting - you've fit the two crucifixions in and blended them well. I think you're doing a fine job of maintaining the texture of the original image. Nice work here too. :)
Thank you Jollyrei

I fear they will burn the women before they have suffered their deaths on their crosses :eek:
Fabiola   Christian executions.jpgFABIOLA1.jpgUnfortunately this is what it happens also in the movie that inspired my manipulation i.e. "Fabiola" (1949) from the italian director Alessandro Blasetti. This was an italian historical drama based on the story of the growth of Christianity in the Roman Empire around 4th century AD and of the
fierce persecutions unleashed against Christians. "Fabiola" was one of the first post world war two Hollywood style 'blockbusters'. The enclosed scene was shot in the Arena of Verona.

Based on a novel by Cardinal Wiseman, of all people! Doesn't the Christian Emperor Constantine arrive with his army just in time to rescue at least the hero and heroine? I didn't know that scene was filmed in the Verona arena, it's a splendid location, Verdi's Aida performed there annually (well, it was before Covid)

Based on a novel by Cardinal Wiseman, of all people! Doesn't the Christian Emperor Constantine arrive with his army just in time to rescue at least the hero and heroine? I didn't know that scene was filmed in the Verona arena, it's a splendid location, Verdi's Aida performed there annually (well, it was before Covid)
Thanks for mentioning the book that inspired both "Fabiola" and a remake of it named "The revolt of the slaves" (1960) an italian 'sword and sandal' starring Lang Jeffries and Rhonda Fleming. Actually 'Fabiola' movie's final scenes show (for a few minutes only )the arrival of Emperor Constantine's army just after the hero and the heroine had been rescued both by the gladiators' refusal to kill the hero and the invasion of the arena by the enthusiastic crowd after assisting to the protagonist's valor in surviving
the attacks of various kinds of enemies.

Thanks for mentioning the book that inspired both "Fabiola" and a remake of it named "The revolt of the slaves" (1960) an italian 'sword and sandal' starring Lang Jeffries and Rhonda Fleming. Actually 'Fabiola' movie's final scenes show (for a few minutes only )the arrival of Emperor Constantine's army just after the hero and the heroine had been rescued both by the gladiators' refusal to kill the hero and the invasion of the arena by the enthusiastic crowd after assisting to the protagonist's valor in surviving
the attacks of various kinds of enemies.
There is also a silent version of 'Fabiola' (1918), also an Italian production. Italy already had a great production of historical movies from the 1910's on. Somewhat forgotten today.

There is also a silent version of 'Fabiola' (1918), also an Italian production. Italy already had a great production of historical movies from the 1910's on. Somewhat forgotten today.
The Italians invented the epic movie with "Cabiria" in 1914, which provided inspiration - and some new camera techniques - to people like Griffith and DeMille.
The film is set in Rome and Carthage during the Punic Wars. Its been a long time since I saw it, but I don't recall any crucifixions.

Public amusements on market day.jpg
The reconstruction of the ancient Roman city is populated by the crowds on market day. Five crux figures have been inserted into the scene, and each appears to have been located where the crowd has coalesced into a group, so they seem to be witnessing the crucifixions.

The image is in low resolution, which often hinders the manipulation process, although the figures display commendable precision. I cannot identify any sources, and Hammers habitually employs composite figures, which further confound positive identification. Scale, colour balance and saturation are all looking good. The entertainment is worthy of the arena, and is certainly drawing the crowds to the alternative venue. Nice work, Hammers! :)

Back
Top Bottom