My Slave Women ... G

Go to CruxDreams.com
That's a lovely manip - i imagine we're girls who are going to 'star' in the entertainments in the Colosseum tonight - patrician spectators get a preview! The source painting, Vasily Polenov - Caesar’s Entertainment (1879), is a good one - a single woman, in an off-the shoulder dress, is sharing the pit with a hungry-looking tiger ... I can't find a <400kb image, but there's a fine reproduction on this web-page, scroll down to #6:

https://www.rbth.com/arts/331146-polenov-russian-artist-paintings

PS I've spotted now that you've left the tiger in the manip, but replaced the overdressed woman with a more tasty tiger-treat! Still, my scenario might suggest another adaptation of Polenov's theme. I was thinking of the layout of the Interrogation & Punishment Centre for Girls, where prisoners before and after they're tried and sentenced by the Tribune Martial are kept in a place where the public can take a good view of us, and the Guards can take their pick ...
What era would it be ? Is there a description in the story ?

In the basement of Cruxton Abbey, Lord and Lady Wragg survey the naked chambermaid, Barbara Moore who has been confined there overnight for clumsily breaking yet another piece of Lady Wragg`s precious crystal glass.
"What do you want to do with her, my dear?"
"She`s a clumsy slut and I intend to make an example of her. The entire staff will be assembled in the Main Hall to witness her receive three dozen with my Whangee cane."

The transparent red and white stripes, and the red coated soldier suggest a Revolutionary War theme. If so, the apparently British soldier looking at slave girls is odd, insofar as the British freed any slaves who made it to New York, and negotiated the transportation of those former slaves to Nova Scotia as part of the transfer of New York to the new United States (New York never fell to the revolutionaries). That said, these are clearly white slave girls, so there's a bit of a parallel universe thing going on anyway. ;)

The transparent red and white stripes, and the red coated soldier suggest a Revolutionary War theme. If so, the apparently British soldier looking at slave girls is odd, insofar as the British freed any slaves who made it to New York, and negotiated the transportation of those former slaves to Nova Scotia as part of the transfer of New York to the new United States (New York never fell to the revolutionaries). That said, these are clearly white slave girls, so there's a bit of a parallel universe thing going on anyway. ;)
I keep looking at this manip, and it seems to be rather enigmatic. I cannot identify the background image, which shows a commercial establishment of some kind. I think it is quite possible that all of the figures have been added individually - with the exception of what appears to be a face at the upstairs window.

Two sunbeams penetrate the murky atmosphere, running diagonally from the upper right, and these are very much a stylistic feature of GoatJr's manipulations. They bring our focus onto the figures in the lower half of the picture, before dissolving into the superimposed flag. The stars and stripes appears casually suspended in reduced opacity, but which version of the flag seems obscure. There is surely a nationalistic theme at work here on some level.

The clothing tends to indicate the late eighteenth or early nineteenth centuries, which is consistent with the period identified by Jollyrei. However, I am not convinced that the redcoat is a military uniform, and the black hat has a decidedly civilian appearance. Admittedly, the details are obscure, but he may be carrying a cartridge pouch and holding a musket, which might identify him as a militiaman (for whom a red coat would be ill-advised apparel). Whilst two of the slave girls are certainly white, as previously noted, the one on the far right is definitely black.

Despite the obscurity of both image and subject, we are seeing good character interaction between the figures, and convincing scale, together with fine attention to detail in the highlights of the eyes and pinpoints of light glinting on the buttons. Nice work, GoatJr! :)

I suggest he may be a civic dignitary of some kind - that hefty staff suggests a beadle.

It's impossible to read the shop-sign, but the trade seems to be one ending '-ner' - if it was 'limner', it could be a subtle way the artist's signed his work!

Last edited:
I keep looking at this manip, and it seems to be rather enigmatic. I cannot identify the background image, which shows a commercial establishment of some kind. I think it is quite possible that all of the figures have been added individually - with the exception of what appears to be a face at the upstairs window.

Two sunbeams penetrate the murky atmosphere, running diagonally from the upper right, and these are very much a stylistic feature of GoatJr's manipulations. They bring our focus onto the figures in the lower half of the picture, before dissolving into the superimposed flag. The stars and stripes appears casually suspended in reduced opacity, but which version of the flag seems obscure. There is surely a nationalistic theme at work here on some level.

The clothing tends to indicate the late eighteenth or early nineteenth centuries, which is consistent with the period identified by Jollyrei. However, I am not convinced that the redcoat is a military uniform, and the black hat has a decidedly civilian appearance. Admittedly, the details are obscure, but he may be carrying a cartridge pouch and holding a musket, which might identify him as a militiaman (for whom a red coat would be ill-advised apparel). Whilst two of the slave girls are certainly white, as previously noted, the one on the far right is definitely black.

Despite the obscurity of both image and subject, we are seeing good character interaction between the figures, and convincing scale, together with fine attention to detail in the highlights of the eyes and pinpoints of light glinting on the buttons. Nice work, GoatJr! :)
Your good Bob ... although the flag is there for another reason , I'll keep it to myself . I regret adding it to the pic . As usual you always see what is not there . I changed the original a bit . Here's the original painting and the manip without the flag . Sorry I hadn't replied sooner I've been preoccupied . I have been on just not really here . There are two black women one on the right and one dead center as far as what happening I'll leave up to the viewer ... native-the game seller-9153_4frank moss bennett.jpg End - Maid Market I.jpg ...

This is a rather odd scene - which one is selling game? Obviously it's a game-dealer's shop, but the gent in the red coat seems equipped with punt-gun, cartridge pouch and dog to go duck-shooting himself. Is he going to buy some of the provender, then go and boast that he's shot it himself?

Nice twist although their are two white and two black women . The flag was just a bad idea it's is interesting how it changes what you see , I'll leave it there on that .

Back
Top Bottom