Now This Just Isn't Funny

Go to CruxDreams.com
A weekend in the life of a squirrel (Part II)

But then it's time for some real squirrelly fun.

The squirrel likes to earn a little extra cash by playing piano in a bar

View attachment 876684

And singing

View attachment 876685

He is also a pool hall hustler

View attachment 876686

He spends all the money on drink

View attachment 876687

And he sends ill-advised texts when drunk (don't we all?)

View attachment 876688

When he gets home, he doesn't feel too good

View attachment 876689

And the next day he is ..... fragile

View attachment 876690

But he will be repeating this all next weekend!

Hang on is this the crux girls taking secret photos of me as revenge? :eek:

WE did not have at my school
View attachment 876803
I ate there many times - great fun for the money!
View attachment 876804
REplaced with something newer when I was fourteen.
View attachment 876805

My Catholic school would not "lower" itself to have Home Ec classes (wish they had!). Those are fuses. And you can still sit at a Woolworth lunch counter in Asheville, North Carolina, at an old Woolworth building that's been repurposed into an art gallery. Last time there I had a chocolate egg cream. (Who knows what they are?)

AowxKsM.jpg

Last edited:
My Catholic school would not "lower" itself to have Home Ec classes (wish they had!). Those are fuses. And you can still sit at a Woolworth lunch counter in Asheville, North Carolina, at an old Woolworth building that's been repurposed into an art gallery. Last time there I had a chocolate egg cream. (Who knows what they are?)

AowxKsM.jpg
For anyone interested:

Jaws!
I lost a girlfriend to the sharks, y’know?
We were over in Hawaii on a sailboat, and she jumped
off the prow and started swimming to the shore.
People saw a shark and shouted for her to swim faster!
She got about forty yards from the beach when the Great White hit her.
She nearly made it. Everybody said she would’ve
too if she hadn’t been wearing her lucky anvil.

Tim Conway)

The British have such fascinating old names for meals. From Quora,
Leigh Wright, Lives in The United Kingdom

What are the British names for meals? (Breakfast, for example.)

I’d advise the questioner, if possible, to obtain a copy of the full text (an antiquarian bookshop may be your best bet in these philistine days) but I’ve summarised the main points of Mrs Beeton’s excellent 1932 bestseller “In a Ravenous Manor” (Cruxton?) to outline the main times and names for mealtimes in a typical English Country House of the era:

7am - Spoons: a light breakfast prepared for one’s servants who rise early to light fires, prepare the Glory Hole for the family and begin their duties.

7:30 onwards: the Glory Hole - a sideboard of dishes such as bacon, eggs, sausages, kippers (smoked fish), slippers (fishy smokes) and big dippers (sherbet with a lollipop) served under covered cloches to keep them warm. Name derived from the Elizabethan practice of having a specially commissioned sideboard with carved hollows over which a plate could be placed to trap heat and keep the food warm.

As an aside, Aunt Agatha’s oversleeping and missing her turn at the Glory Hole is a critical plot point in Wodehouse’s “Jeeves and the appeal of Nazism”: another wonderful read if you have time (and, in lockdown, who doesn’t ?)

11am onwards: Fingering: typically a light snack consisting of sandwiches and other foods which are eaten with one’s hands, hence the name. As is typical (and an international stereotype of the English) this is served with a piping hot teapot full of lager.

12:30pm onwards: Muff Diving - a single course luncheon of cold roast meats usually beef, chicken, whale or peasant colloquially known as “the Muff” served with an assortment of breads, salads, vegetables, pickles (a cold spiced chutney) and chutneys (a cold spiced pickle).

In Daphne du Maurier’s “Frenchman’s Creek” a chance encounter at Muff Diving leads to the heroine’s first meeting with Jean-Benoit.

3pm onwards: Afternoon Teabagging - a light snack filling the time between the Muff Diving and Cummings. Typically consists of small cakes, dainty pastries in the French style, French pastries in the dainty style and style French pastries in dainties with another pot of hot lager.

6pm onwards: Cummings - usually consisting of three or more courses, Cummings is the main formal meal of the day.

First course (known as Pre-cummings) is usually a small, savoury plate designed to enliven the palate and whet the appetite. Typically, Mrs Beeton provides recipes for a number of these dishes including Prawn Cocktail, Cock Prawntail and Champignon Magique.
Second course is, by tradition, a fish course (Fishy Cummings). As the UK is an island, there is a rich history of fish cookery due to the riches of the national fishery. Such national dishes include deep fried cod fillets, deep fried haddock, deep fried plaice and whelks: any of which would be deemed acceptable.
This is followed by a third, meat course (Big Cummings) usually of beef, chicken, whale or peasant: observant readers will note that any leftovers would be served at the next day’s Muff Diving; as Mrs Beeton notes “I admired the skill of the Cook in being able to transfer the previous evening’s Cummings into the next day’s Muff with no loss of excitement at the prospect of the flavours to be savoured”
The final course of Cummings is the Creampie, a sweet course often accompanied by cream or custard. Typical servings of the time included Plum Duff, Spotted Dick or Jam Roly-Poly
While Cummings was the last formal meal of the day, the Gentlemen would often retire following Cummings to play billiards, smoke cigars and fight Suffragettes (many country houses would keep a semi-tamed Suffragette on the grounds just for this purpose). It was not unknown, following an hour or two of the masculine pursuits of fagging, admiring each other’s balls and punching a Pankhurst Sister for the Gentlemen to feel a tad peckish. Hence the informal, but much loved English tradition of the Late Night Snack, or Pillow Biter. As such late night snacks would be prepared by whichever servants were still awake, they would necessarily be impromptu affairs, a hasty assembly of whatever leftovers could easily be obtained from the larder: maybe just a sausage or two and some tossed salad.

At the risk of digressing again, I feel I must highlight another one of Wodehouse’s short stories (“Jeeves and the Pillow Biter”) as worth a read if you can track it down.

The ladies, following Cummings, would traditionally retire but, at the time of Mrs Beeton’s book, the younger generation - privy to modern advances such as trousers, being allowed to speak in the company of men and the beginnings of an education system, were increasingly bucking the trend. Whilst still not welcome into the smoke filled, hardwood lined studies and billiards rooms, these pioneers of modernity struck out and formed their own traditions in the more genteel, furnished areas of the house, which (as always with the English) included the need for some refreshments as the hours progressed and one felt a tad peckish. Hence, the tradition of the Carpet Munch: a late night snack for the ladies of the house.

For anyone out there worried that they may fail to remember all this, apprehensive that they may look like a tourist when visiting the UK, I appreciate it can all seem a bit daunting. However, its quite easy to remember the important bits using the rhyme we all learn at school; feel free to print this out and learn it, it will help you sound like a true Brit if you can drop these proper “Britishisms” (I’ve highlighted them below) into casual conversation with the locals !

First thing in the morning, when your alarm begins to toll,
That’s the time to ask the waiter if you can see the Glory Hole;
Feeling a little hungry and it’s a mid-morning thing,
Pop into a cafe for a nice light Fingering;
Midday comes and you can’t wait for food to arrive,
Now’s the time stuff your face at the Muff Dive;
Early afternoon, slowing up, energy flagging,
Get ready mouth, time for a Teabagging;
Hungry again; how can it be: it’s surely stunning
Never fear, help is near, time I was Cumming;
So hungry, so weak, fear that I could die,
Thank goodness I’ve been filled up with a Creampie;
Late at night, so hungry, I feel a stone lighter
Fill that hungry hole with a Pillow Biter.

The British have such fascinating old names for meals. From Quora,
Leigh Wright, Lives in The United Kingdom

What are the British names for meals? (Breakfast, for example.)

I’d advise the questioner, if possible, to obtain a copy of the full text (an antiquarian bookshop may be your best bet in these philistine days) but I’ve summarised the main points of Mrs Beeton’s excellent 1932 bestseller “In a Ravenous Manor” (Cruxton?) to outline the main times and names for mealtimes in a typical English Country House of the era:

7am - Spoons: a light breakfast prepared for one’s servants who rise early to light fires, prepare the Glory Hole for the family and begin their duties.

7:30 onwards: the Glory Hole - a sideboard of dishes such as bacon, eggs, sausages, kippers (smoked fish), slippers (fishy smokes) and big dippers (sherbet with a lollipop) served under covered cloches to keep them warm. Name derived from the Elizabethan practice of having a specially commissioned sideboard with carved hollows over which a plate could be placed to trap heat and keep the food warm.

As an aside, Aunt Agatha’s oversleeping and missing her turn at the Glory Hole is a critical plot point in Wodehouse’s “Jeeves and the appeal of Nazism”: another wonderful read if you have time (and, in lockdown, who doesn’t ?)

11am onwards: Fingering: typically a light snack consisting of sandwiches and other foods which are eaten with one’s hands, hence the name. As is typical (and an international stereotype of the English) this is served with a piping hot teapot full of lager.

12:30pm onwards: Muff Diving - a single course luncheon of cold roast meats usually beef, chicken, whale or peasant colloquially known as “the Muff” served with an assortment of breads, salads, vegetables, pickles (a cold spiced chutney) and chutneys (a cold spiced pickle).

In Daphne du Maurier’s “Frenchman’s Creek” a chance encounter at Muff Diving leads to the heroine’s first meeting with Jean-Benoit.

3pm onwards: Afternoon Teabagging - a light snack filling the time between the Muff Diving and Cummings. Typically consists of small cakes, dainty pastries in the French style, French pastries in the dainty style and style French pastries in dainties with another pot of hot lager.

6pm onwards: Cummings - usually consisting of three or more courses, Cummings is the main formal meal of the day.

First course (known as Pre-cummings) is usually a small, savoury plate designed to enliven the palate and whet the appetite. Typically, Mrs Beeton provides recipes for a number of these dishes including Prawn Cocktail, Cock Prawntail and Champignon Magique.
Second course is, by tradition, a fish course (Fishy Cummings). As the UK is an island, there is a rich history of fish cookery due to the riches of the national fishery. Such national dishes include deep fried cod fillets, deep fried haddock, deep fried plaice and whelks: any of which would be deemed acceptable.
This is followed by a third, meat course (Big Cummings) usually of beef, chicken, whale or peasant: observant readers will note that any leftovers would be served at the next day’s Muff Diving; as Mrs Beeton notes “I admired the skill of the Cook in being able to transfer the previous evening’s Cummings into the next day’s Muff with no loss of excitement at the prospect of the flavours to be savoured”
The final course of Cummings is the Creampie, a sweet course often accompanied by cream or custard. Typical servings of the time included Plum Duff, Spotted Dick or Jam Roly-Poly
While Cummings was the last formal meal of the day, the Gentlemen would often retire following Cummings to play billiards, smoke cigars and fight Suffragettes (many country houses would keep a semi-tamed Suffragette on the grounds just for this purpose). It was not unknown, following an hour or two of the masculine pursuits of fagging, admiring each other’s balls and punching a Pankhurst Sister for the Gentlemen to feel a tad peckish. Hence the informal, but much loved English tradition of the Late Night Snack, or Pillow Biter. As such late night snacks would be prepared by whichever servants were still awake, they would necessarily be impromptu affairs, a hasty assembly of whatever leftovers could easily be obtained from the larder: maybe just a sausage or two and some tossed salad.

At the risk of digressing again, I feel I must highlight another one of Wodehouse’s short stories (“Jeeves and the Pillow Biter”) as worth a read if you can track it down.

The ladies, following Cummings, would traditionally retire but, at the time of Mrs Beeton’s book, the younger generation - privy to modern advances such as trousers, being allowed to speak in the company of men and the beginnings of an education system, were increasingly bucking the trend. Whilst still not welcome into the smoke filled, hardwood lined studies and billiards rooms, these pioneers of modernity struck out and formed their own traditions in the more genteel, furnished areas of the house, which (as always with the English) included the need for some refreshments as the hours progressed and one felt a tad peckish. Hence, the tradition of the Carpet Munch: a late night snack for the ladies of the house.

For anyone out there worried that they may fail to remember all this, apprehensive that they may look like a tourist when visiting the UK, I appreciate it can all seem a bit daunting. However, its quite easy to remember the important bits using the rhyme we all learn at school; feel free to print this out and learn it, it will help you sound like a true Brit if you can drop these proper “Britishisms” (I’ve highlighted them below) into casual conversation with the locals !

First thing in the morning, when your alarm begins to toll,
That’s the time to ask the waiter if you can see the Glory Hole;
Feeling a little hungry and it’s a mid-morning thing,
Pop into a cafe for a nice light Fingering;
Midday comes and you can’t wait for food to arrive,
Now’s the time stuff your face at the Muff Dive;
Early afternoon, slowing up, energy flagging,
Get ready mouth, time for a Teabagging;
Hungry again; how can it be: it’s surely stunning
Never fear, help is near, time I was Cumming;
So hungry, so weak, fear that I could die,
Thank goodness I’ve been filled up with a Creampie;
Late at night, so hungry, I feel a stone lighter
Fill that hungry hole with a Pillow Biter.

Thank you for that glimpse of country house life, a little window into the rhythms of a place such a Cruxton. Thanks also for the book recommendations, I'll have to track those down. I can well imagine Aunt Agatha's disappointment at missing her turn at the Glory Hole. I wonder which of the servants were on duty that morning?

You had me going for a moment there PrPr, Muff Diving was a step too far in belief :D Very well done, very imaginative

Thank you for that glimpse of country house life, a little window into the rhythms of a place such a Cruxton. Thanks also for the book recommendations, I'll have to track those down. I can well imagine Aunt Agatha's disappointment at missing her turn at the Glory Hole. I wonder which of the servants were on duty that morning?

You had me going for a moment there PrPr, Muff Diving was a step too far in belief :D Very well done, very imaginative
I particularly loved the image of Afternoon Teabagging - Typically consists of small cakes, dainty pastries in the French style, French pastries in the dainty style and style French pastries in dainties with another pot of hot lager.

Love that French style with hot lager!

Back
Top Bottom