Roman Crucifixion Research

Go to CruxDreams.com
I read some time ago that Archaeologists assume that in Palestine around the year 30 because of a lack of wood, the execution on the X-Cross was preferred. They could use poorer wood for this and they didn't have to use high-quality beams.

Probably the same guys who 60 years ago were postulating the Mayan's were peaceful people in tune with nature.

Archeology is unfortunately one of the more highly subjective sciences. We find bits and pieces of things, documents, buildings and we have to try to fit them into an overall context. Very very difficult.

And honestly, considering the average size of a person back then, even the cheapest quality 4x4 you buy at your local lumber store would get the job done. High quality lumber wasn't needed and there were more than 2 types of structures you could use to get the job done (example use a frame of cross timbers).

kisses

willowfall

Jesus was supposed to be a carpenter yes? Surely he would have been listed as unemployed, or driving for Amazon etc if there was no wood?
But I don't think there were that many high-quality types of wood that grew in the area. Imported high quality cedar wood from Lebanon would have been expensive and I don't think it was used to execute convicts.
So, as a carpenter, Jesus is more likely to have built roof trusses and furniture.

Long ago, I read that there were forests in Judea, but that the Romans have depleted them, to get wood to build galleys.

(I read it long before the internet age, so assume it is true).:roto2nuse:

Did anybody else see the article about them digging up a heel bone from the Roman period in England with the nail still in it? According to the article (and we all know how "ACCURATE" the internet can be) it is only the 4th known (and two of them are conjectures) physical example of a crucifixion.

The angle of the nail indicates the foot was probably nailed to the side of the stipe.

kisses

willowfall

I posted a link to an article in the magazine of the British Council for Archaeology, which is about as reliable as you can get, in 'Roman Resources':

How do you think the Romans did their crucifixion realistically? I've watched Spartacus and read about it, it basically ends with 6000 slaves being crucified on a major highway from Capua to Rome.

During 70 AD, Jews were mass crucified by the Romans to halt the Rebellion.

How did the Romans accomplish that? Were the crucified naked or with clothes (I mean it's public and in a highway).

naked ... their clothes were taken off, and everything was sold ...

as for the crosses, some of the slaves were apparently forced to erect stipes, the slaves moved in groups, undressed them, knocked them to the ground and nailed them to the patibule, which they then picked up and put on the stipes ...

the patibula was apparently carried on chariots .... the slaves did not carry them on their backs ... unless it was a public humiliation ... it was in a hurry, and there was no time for parades ... various trees were probably used for crucifixion, a stake in the country, apod.

I once read that they just used different methods to entertain the Legionnairies and one must know that a Roman legion made a castel in a day, so they were well-trained to build any(!) wooden thing with ropes and nails. About the nudity: I guess it was nude to shock people, which would not be possible when crucifying Celts, or African (Nubian) people. But when crucifying a Jew or a Roman citizen, it would be mandatory because for them, the nudity would be a problem.

I once read that they just used different methods to entertain the Legionnairies and one must know that a Roman legion made a castel in a day, so they were well-trained to build any(!) wooden thing with ropes and nails. About the nudity: I guess it was nude to shock people, which would not be possible when crucifying Celts, or African (Nubian) people. But when crucifying a Jew or a Roman citizen, it would be mandatory because for them, the nudity would be a problem.
correction Roman citizens could not be crucified!

this execution was only for barbarians, and slaves ...

for Roman citizens, there was another type of execution, such as dropping off a rock in the Tarpes, beheading, stabbing, or strangling, poisoning, etc.

correction Roman citizens could not be crucified!
You might tell that to St. Paul, when meeting him in heaven.... The law is never obeyed without exception (could start discussion about Covid-19 here or some cases lying on my desk....) and it is sometimes completely neglected by those in power. Lenin once said the power is in the hands of those with the guns. I personally don't know any case of crucified Roman Citizen, but it surely has happened.

I'm not a Christian, I'm an atheist ... so I'm an infidel and a heretic in one person!

In my opinion, faith is an outdated thing that has nothing to do in the modern world.
faith has killed more people than all plagues and wars combined.

and as for St. Paul, he was a Roman citizen, but he converted to Christianity, and his rights as a citizen were abolished after he did not renounce his faith, and he was executed as an ordinary slave.

next?

A question, I sometimes wonder, is, how one could give 'proof' of Roman citizenship? Did they have identity documents confirming this? How about it in the provinces? Was citizenship a collective status, granted to the whole population in a province? If not, suppose you are a citizen, get into trouble in some remote spot of the Roman Empire. Risking crucifixion, can I claim "I am a Roman citizen!", and will justice inquire about it first, or will the judges just reply "That's what they all say!" and order a swift crucifixion, for good measure os setting an example! Could an individual's citizenship be revoked in some cases? And what about the Christians in Rome under persecutions? Were they no citizens, or did the emperor not bother about it, when he had them crucified in the circus?

I'm not a Christian, I'm an atheist ... so I'm an infidel and a heretic in one person!

In my opinion, faith is an outdated thing that has nothing to do in the modern world.
faith has killed more people than all plagues and wars combined.

and as for St. Paul, he was a Roman citizen, but he converted to Christianity, and his rights as a citizen were abolished after he did not renounce his faith, and he was executed as an ordinary slave.

next?
I always have heard that St. Paul was beheaded because he was a Roman citizen. Saint Peter was not a citizen, so he got crucified.

You might tell that to St. Paul, when meeting him in heaven.... The law is never obeyed without exception (could start discussion about Covid-19 here or some cases lying on my desk....) and it is sometimes completely neglected by those in power. Lenin once said the power is in the hands of those with the guns. I personally don't know any case of crucified Roman Citizen, but it surely has happened.
St. Paul was not crucified though. He was beheaded

Back
Top Bottom