Roman Crucifixion Research

Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm not a Christian, I'm an atheist ... so I'm an infidel and a heretic in one person!

In my opinion, faith is an outdated thing that has nothing to do in the modern world.
faith has killed more people than all plagues and wars combined.

and as for St. Paul, he was a Roman citizen, but he converted to Christianity, and his rights as a citizen were abolished after he did not renounce his faith, and he was executed as an ordinary slave.

next?
Agreed. I'm a Roman Catholic but I agree religion has done some shady shit. Like the Inquisition and the Crusades. Although the deaths caused by religion is outmatched by the deaths caused by communism (another religious-like ideology), religion still has one of the largest kill count in history up there

I am a member of the most atheistic nation in the world, so I consider religion a waste of time, but I am interested in Roman history.

and you're right and thank you for correcting me.
Yes, St. Paul was beheaded, as was due for every Roman citizen, but St. Peter was nailed to the cross, but at his own request upside down to show that he was less than Jesus Christ.

I think the ending of Spartacus. They were crucified on T shape cross with a removable patibulum. Or probably a T shape without removable since Romans want to sent a message to slaves and would not have taken down their bodies
As crucifier I want to make an individual fashioned crucifixion, so it is different if I crucify a rebel, like Spartacus, or a god, like Jesus, but probably wrongly put in the rebel classification, or a slave.

Just make a silly example: I would never crucify loinclothslave with a loincloth, or a jew letting hide is circumcision, but would crucify some Nubians with loincloths so they can not expose big genitals... And naturally it must be cheap, so would use ropes and trees or recycle the nails.

As crucifier I want to make an individual fashioned crucifixion, so it is different if I crucify a rebel, like Spartacus, or a god, like Jesus, but probably wrongly put in the rebel classification, or a slave.

Just make a silly example: I would never crucify loinclothslave with a loincloth, or a jew letting hide is circumcision, but would crucify some Nubians with loincloths so they can not expose big genitals... And naturally it must be cheap, so would use ropes and trees or recycle the nails.
Yeah very interesting concept... It's like irony in the crucifixion... Also, addition to the silly example, woman's have bras so crucifying them means they would have no bras.

A question, I sometimes wonder, is, how one could give 'proof' of Roman citizenship? Did they have identity documents confirming this? How about it in the provinces? Was citizenship a collective status, granted to the whole population in a province? If not, suppose you are a citizen, get into trouble in some remote spot of the Roman Empire. Risking crucifixion, can I claim "I am a Roman citizen!", and will justice inquire about it first, or will the judges just reply "That's what they all say!" and order a swift crucifixion, for good measure os setting an example! Could an individual's citizenship be revoked in some cases? And what about the Christians in Rome under persecutions? Were they no citizens, or did the emperor not bother about it, when he had them crucified in the circus?
from "Paul: A Critical Life" by Jerome Murphy-O'Connor (a Catholic priest who spent years in Jerusalem) on Roman citizenship:
"The small wooden diptych containing the certificate was too precious to carry around, and if it were contested by the magistrate the original witnesses who signed had to be produced." O'Connor argues that Paul was clearly well educated, that his Jewish family was probably prominent and was granted citizenship when the Romans first arrived in the area and needed allies. He also argues that the sea voyage to Rome that resulted in the shipwreck on Malta and the miraculous encounter with the viper in Acts had no theological purpose (nothing happened in Rome) so is probably genuine, and Acts has Paul "appealing to Caesar" when on trial by Felix. Acts has Festus, Felix's successor, saying he would have released Paul if he "hadn't appealed to Caesar". The trial was supposedly triggered by Paul's presence in the temple at the behest of the Jerusalem Apostles who insisted he undergo a Jewish purification ritual to show his fidelity to Judaism--his insistence that Jewish Law should not apply to his gentile converts and in any case was outdated was not well received in some quarters. He had been (by his own admission in Galatians) "rising in Judaism" above his contemporaries, and originally he set out to arrest Christians, so his "conversion" raised a lot of hackles, he was considered a traitor, and his appearance in the temple caused a riot.
Paul was prickly and dogmatic and self-assured, and he tended to piss people off, apparently.

Cicero (I had to read it in high school and have no intention of doing that again) in the trial of Cataline makes the charge that as a governor in Sicily Cataline had crucified a Roman citizen (on a white cross in recognition of his "status", in the time of the Republic I believe) in order to seize his property. So it isn't clear that the law kept people totally safe.

Last edited:
Cicero (I had to read it in high school and have no intention of doing that again) in the trial of Cataline makes the charge that as a governor in Sicily Cataline had crucified a Roman citizen (on a white cross in recognition of his "status", in the time of the Republic I believe) in order to seize his property. So it isn't clear that the law kept people totally safe.
Interesting, that 'white cross' story!

I did some research myself, and found this :

but I've never heard of a tree being used for crucifixion. I think it would have hurt and uncomfortable if the slave is crucified in a tree
The implied concept of a humane crucifixion is intriguing. :D

Check out our latest article:
And please comment on the site the things you agree or disagree with!
Upon all3 images, this screen appears???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.49.25 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.49.25 am.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 85
thanks!

What's The Most Brutal Depiction of Crucifixion in Your Opinion?​

Crucifixion has been depicted in many art forms from film, television, artwork (fine arts, traditional art, digital, and so on), plays (theater and on the street), and many more. Which specific depiction, could be a scene from a video or a single image, is in your opinion the most brutal depiction of suffering on the cross?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crucifixion has been depicted in many art forms from film, television, artwork (fine arts, traditional art, digital, and so on), plays (theater and on the street), and many more. Which specific depiction, could be a scene from a video or a single image, is in your opinion the most brutal depiction of suffering on the cross?

Mel Gibson, The Passion of the Christ
Hands down.

(Or, in this case, hands up.)
hands up.jpg

Back
Top Bottom