The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Am I the only one who, each time the name Raducanu is uttered, flashes back to Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer calling down the “dove from above” with chants of “Eranu! Eranu!”?
Yep. Thought so :doh:
It is different in my case because of my German-Austrian-Romanian ancestors from Transsylvania (= geographically almost identical with the German name for this region: "Siebenbürgen" = no joke!) I knew immediately that she must have had Romanian roots like a Romanian father with such a name ending on "-canu".

Just a thought: I see a lot of members uploading high volumes of images, nine or ten to a post, with no accompanying comment.

I’m not going to criticise, I just want to point out something (which probably they won’t see because they don’t come here), but I’d love to know if anyone else thinks the same way as me on this.

as a viewer, I would MUCH rather see one image, with a sentence or two about why the uploader likes it or why they wanted to share it, than nine or ten images with no comment.

That’s just my opinion, as @Loinclothslave would say, YMMV (your mileage may vary). And as Groucho Marx said: “these are my opinions, if you don’t like them, I have others!”. I’m not saying anyone is doing anything wrong, and certainly NOT calling for any kind of censorship or whatever. What do you guys think? :) Agree, disagree?

and to those who upload images in bulk.. I want to ask: are you sharing things you value? Or just dumping the contents of your folders into CF without much thought?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought: I see a lot of members uploading high volumes of images, nine or ten to a post, with no accompanying comment.

I’m not going to criticise, I just want to point out something (which probably they won’t see because they don’t come here), but I’d love to know if anyone else thinks the same way as me on this.

as a viewer, I would MUCH rather see one image, with a sentence or two about why the uploader likes it or why they wanted to share it, than nine or ten images with no comment.

That’s just my opinion, as @Loinclothslave would say, YMMV (your mileage may vary). And as Groucho Marx said: “these are my opinions, if you don’t like them, I have others!”. I’m not saying anyone is doing anything wrong. What do you guys think? :) Agree, disagree?

and to those who upload images in bulk.. I want to ask: are you sharing things you value? Or just dumping the contents of your folders into CF without much thought?
I've just come across such a thread.

One look, and my brain says "Can't be bothered!" So straight to the bottom of the screen, and away.

That’s just my opinion, as @Loinclothslave would say, YMMV (your mileage may vary). And as Groucho Marx said: “these are my opinions, if you don’t like them, I have others!”. I’m not saying anyone is doing anything wrong, and certainly NOT calling for any kind of censorship or whatever. What do you guys think? :) Agree, disagree?

I've just come across such a thread.

One look, and my brain says "Can't be bothered!" So straight to the bottom of the screen, and away.
yes, while I would never want to limit the number of uploadable images to fewer than ten as many members use that many to illustrate their stories, as does @thehangingtree and @sifax, for example. And others do so following a particular theme or purpose, such as @phlebas, but to just unload post after post of pics with no commentary or discernible purpose causes me to look elsewhere.

yes, while I would never want to limit the number of uploadable images to fewer than ten as many members use that many to illustrate their stories, as does @thehangingtree and @sifax, for example. And others do so following a particular theme or purpose, such as @phlebas, but to just unload post after post of pics with no commentary or discernible purpose causes me to look elsewhere.
I think that’s a useful and valid distinction Barb. :thumbsup: Thanks

It depends : if the topic of the thread (or of the pics) appeals to me, and the member posting it is open to comments and discussion, I sometimes even look forward to the next post.

Otherwise, I perhaps open one, and then go elsewhere.

A thread can be spoiled by posting/dumping tens of pics in series of ten one after another. It happened, I suggested a member to slow down the pace, but some seem to get aroused by the sheer quantity of (uncommented) pics they drop on CF.

I try to mention my thoughts in a small comment at least for each picture and pictures that I post have to fit the respective topic, but I don't think I've posted 10 pictures at the same time. (As you have probably noticed, I am not that talented with image manipulation or rendering)

Yes pretty similar for me too, @montycrusto - I do recall being keen for attention when starting out and for a very short while thought upping the quantity may help. I’ve long since dumped that theory, it is more enjoyable to post images I like slowly and with textural support, even if simply to identify an artist and share a few of their images together.

I do wonder if a link to a comic might work better than a sample of it, certain threads such as tortured women, slavery, and rack torture are experiencing a phase of comic shares where we are at least given the author which is appreciated, a link to the site to continue the read would be better (I don’t care if it’s a pay site if the artist gets paid)

I guess it’s a little frustrating to get a tease, find yourself like it, but unsure where to go.

on the whole I’d argue the current phase lessens the strength of these threads which all seeemed to reach a peak a week or so ago

I have no idea what to do about it. Certainly not to discourage particularly newer members. I think many high image volume users are sincere in wanting to share, I also suggest it is a trap for new members, they get a few likes and want more attention. I certainly did when I started 6 months ago, it’s easy to forget this element. Maybe we can gently engage more with our new members? I like a growing forum..

Last edited:
Yes pretty similar for me too, @montycrusto - I do recall being keen for attention when starting out and for a very short while thought upping the quantity may help. I’ve long since dumped that theory, it is more enjoyable to post images I like slowly and with textural support, even if simply to identify an artist and share a few of their images together.

I do wonder if a link to a comic might work better than a sample of it, certain threads such as tortured women, slavery, and rack torture are experiencing a phase of comic shares where we are at least given the author which is appreciated, a link to the site to continue the read would be better (I don’t care if it’s a pay site if the artist gets paid)

I guess it’s a little frustrating to get a tease, find yourself like it, but unsure where to go.

on the whole I’d argue the current phase lessens the strength of these threads which all seeemed to reach a peak a week or so ago

I have no idea what to do about it. Certainly not to discourage particularly newer members. I think many high image volume users are sincere in wanting to share, I also suggest it is a trap for new members, they get a few likes and want more attention. I certainly did when I started 6 months ago, it’s easy to forget this element. Maybe we can gently engage more with our new members? I like a growing forum..
Totally agree. And also I’m aware that it’s all very well for me; other members might find English difficult or whatever, and pictures are therefore a better way to communicate. I really don’t want to discourage anyone, especially newer members. :thumbsup:

Perhaps a good solution would be for staff to respectfully and privately engage new members who appear to be over enthusiastic about mass postings. I think most would appreciate some inside advice on how best to engage the Forums. A little socialization effort, as one might call it, could help.

Perhaps a good solution would be for staff to respectfully end privately engage new members who appear to be over enthusiastic about mass postings. I think most would appreciate some inside advice on how best to engage the Forums. A little socialization effort, as one might call it, could help.
It doesn’t even have to be staff. In fact at one point early in my time here, I benefited from some very kind advice from a certain @Praefectus Praetorio who gently steered me away from over-posting and some cruxforums netiquette for which I remain grateful. I guess all that is needed is a daft deft touch and friendly, polite engagement.

It doesn’t even have to be staff. In fact at one point early in my time here, I benefited from some very kind advice from a certain @Praefectus Praetorio who gently steered me away from over-posting and some cruxforums netiquette for which I remain grateful. I guess all that is needed is a daft deft touch and friendly, polite engagement.
Absolutely. Good point.

Mhm, a question: In my archives, I got now three films or rather documentaries about Helmut Newton with a lot of pictures which suprised me and which I have never seen before I saw these documentaries, e.g. these ones:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.09.19_16h06m27s_002_.jpg from this documentary: Ashampoo_Snap_2021.09.19_16h07m07s_003_.jpg

This documentary was broadcast by the German-Austrian-Swiss TV channel "3sat" as an hommage to Helmut Newton because of his 100th birthday in October 2020. Could it be possible to start here a "Hommage to Helmut Newton (and possibly other photographers)" - Thread with showing screenshots and repeating comments here from these TV documentaries showing his most famous and most unknown pictures or could/ would we have problems with the copyright-owners?
I have seen here in some threads already some of his most famous photos but what about his portraits of famous persons and his rather unknown pictures and how he found and worked with those people?

Hm, it could also be a "discussion thread" about the comments and orders of the photographers because in the documentary are live reports about the locations of the photos and in this one, Helmut Newton told the model to act as natural as possible by smoking or drinking which I thought to be a bit difficult in this position:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.09.19_16h24m08s_024_1_ji.jpg

Last edited:

Anyway I have also been posting a bunch of images in my witch-themed thread. I do try to highlight artists, I don't post just everything there is on the topic, but I do also sometimes have just a series of pics by one artist. Not always easy to come up with an insightful comment.

Anyway I have also been posting a bunch of images in my witch-themed thread. I do try to highlight artists, I don't post just everything there is on the topic, but I do also sometimes have just a series of pics by one artist. Not always easy to come up with an insightful comment.
I don’t think @montycrusto had your thread in mind at all, I certainly didn’t.

I have also been posting a bunch of images in my witch-themed thread
I’ve posted quite a few there myself
I don’t think @montycrusto had your thread in mind at all, I certainly didn’t
Absolutely right!

So, I just mentioned my concern VERY politely to one of those high volume posters, and it did not go down well. Apparently I’m engaging in censorship and even “inquisition”. Chance would be a fine thing! :doh:

Back
Top Bottom