Go to CruxDreams.com
Circum quintam horam (about the fifth hour - eleven AM), as the midday summer heat was rapidly building, Sextus Diocletianus led his dusty, hot, and thirsty patrol into the central forum of Narbo. There, he allowed them a break to drink from the cool mountain water of the aqueduct-fed fountain and refill their canteens. The Tesserarius' concern for his men's well-being offset his stern style of command. After a ten-minute rest, he led on to the harena (arena).

Narbo’s harena was built in 50 AD by Emperor Claudius as a thank you gift to the city for its early support of his elevation to Emperor. Being in a provincial capital in the early years of the Empire, it was a modest public venue. Nothing like the massive stadia for chariot races such as the Circus Maximus in Rome, nor the lavish amphitheaters like the Flavian (often incorrectly called the ‘Colosseum’), also in Rome, Narbo’s harena was an intimate, circular, brick and concrete structure seating about 500 in three rows rising above the central area. Opposite from the entrance gate was the "Imperial Box," whose comfortable, but humble accommodations had never been graced by an Emperor.
Contrary to many modern perceptions, in the 4th Century, this structure in Narbo was not customarily used for bloody displays. Traveling acts such as clowns, jugglers, and acrobats would appear for a nominal admission (subsidized by a wealthy patron or government official) to provide much-appreciated family entertainment. Traveling bestiarum circi (animal circuses) and ludi gladiatorii (gladiatorial games) sometimes did appear. However, by this time, the costs of slaughtering exotic animals or of training slaves only to be killed in the games were economically ruinous. Sometimes there were wounds and a little blood drawn, but the fighters almost always survived with the victors given hearty cheers by the crowd and the losers appropriately derisively booed.
However, on occasion, a particularly heinous crime in this quiet, rural province called for a public punishment to satisfy the desire for vengeance and to slake the mobs' inevitable blood lust. There had been the occasional flogging and one or two beheadings in the last few years, but it had been five years since a crucifixion. Then it had been two highwaymen who had killed several merchants. When these men were caught, their crucifixion together in the harena drew a full house.

Marcus Lycus and Septimus Silva sat on the edge of their seats, watching the scourging of the Goth slave. Both found it highly erotic, though Marcus, as a professional slave trader, felt the waste of a lovely and valuable body being cut and scarred. He hoped that the Praeses would accept his offer to buy her back. Even maimed, he knew he could sell her for a good price. Only after he had spent some time training and enjoyed the slut, of course.
Silva had no such reservations. He felt his manhood rise to hardness watching her delectable body writhe in torment. He loved watching a young girl suffer. He glanced to his side and then nudged Marcus to look at Tertius, sitting between them. The 'old slave' had his head down in his hands and was softly muttering in the old Narboean dialect, “Ay up lass! Ay up lass! Why fur happen this to thissen?”

I had no idea Narbonne was located in the Windy Pennines. :doh:
Linguists and philologists have been fascinated and puzzled for many years by the remarkable similarity of the two, seemingly, unrelated languages: Ancient Narbonean and Modern(?) Yorkish! They are scrambling to record the speech of the few aging, infirm, and near senile speakers of the latter.

Circum quintam horam (about the fifth hour - eleven AM), as the midday summer heat was rapidly building, Sextus Diocletianus led his dusty, hot, and thirsty patrol into the central forum of Narbo. There, he allowed them a break to drink from the cool mountain water of the aqueduct-fed fountain and refill their canteens. The Tesserarius' concern for his men's well-being offset his stern style of command. After a ten-minute rest, he led on to the harena (arena).

Narbo’s harena was built in 50 AD by Emperor Claudius as a thank you gift to the city for its early support of his elevation to Emperor. Being in a provincial capital in the early years of the Empire, it was a modest public venue. Nothing like the massive stadia for chariot races such as the Circus Maximus in Rome, nor the lavish amphitheaters like the Flavian (often incorrectly called the ‘Colosseum’), also in Rome, Narbo’s harena was an intimate, circular, brick and concrete structure seating about 500 in three rows rising above the central area. Opposite from the entrance gate was the "Imperial Box," whose comfortable, but humble accommodations had never been graced by an Emperor.
Contrary to many modern perceptions, in the 4th Century, this structure in Narbo was not customarily used for bloody displays. Traveling acts such as clowns, jugglers, and acrobats would appear for a nominal admission (subsidized by a wealthy patron or government official) to provide much-appreciated family entertainment. Traveling bestiarum circi (animal circuses) and ludi gladiatorii (gladiatorial games) sometimes did appear. However, by this time, the costs of slaughtering exotic animals or of training slaves only to be killed in the games were economically ruinous. Sometimes there were wounds and a little blood drawn, but the fighters almost always survived with the victors given hearty cheers by the crowd and the losers appropriately derisively booed.
However, on occasion, a particularly heinous crime in this quiet, rural province called for a public punishment to satisfy the desire for vengeance and to slake the mobs' inevitable blood lust. There had been the occasional flogging and one or two beheadings in the last few years, but it had been five years since a crucifixion. Then it had been two highwaymen who had killed several merchants. When these men were caught, their crucifixion together in the harena drew a full house.

Marcus Lycus and Septimus Silva sat on the edge of their seats, watching the scourging of the Goth slave. Both found it highly erotic, though Marcus, as a professional slave trader, felt the waste of a lovely and valuable body being cut and scarred. He hoped that the Praeses would accept his offer to buy her back. Even maimed, he knew he could sell her for a good price. Only after he had spent some time training and enjoyed the slut, of course.
Silva had no such reservations. He felt his manhood rise to hardness watching her delectable body writhe in torment. He loved watching a young girl suffer. He glanced to his side and then nudged Marcus to look at Tertius, sitting between them. The 'old slave' had his head down in his hands and was softly muttering in the old Narboean dialect, “Ay up lass! Ay up lass! Why fur happen this to thissen?”
I have a strange feeling that I know that 'Old Slave', the one masquerading under the name of Narboean ...

Linguists and philologists have been fascinated and puzzled for many years by the remarkable similarity of the two, seemingly, unrelated languages: Ancient Narbonean and Modern(?) Yorkish! They are scrambling to record the speech of the few aging, infirm, and near senile speakers of the latter.
Old Slave should hold out for a premium payment before uttering a word ;)

Pablo Picasso is often quoted as saying: “Good artists copy, great artists steal.” Given my level of talent, I must be one of the copiers. However, you say it, I hereby acknowledge that some ideas and even some phrases here are taken from @King Diocletian ’s stories, “The Scapegoat,” and “Miss Berkeley's Voyage,” as well as @Jon Smithie 's wonderful, and still-ongoing extension of KD's story, “Mina Berkeley's Voyage.”
I'm flattered, and of course, as far as borrowing, "Mi Casa, Su Casa." Obviously I'm a heavy borrower myself. However, I think you're being too modest. Borrowing and/or stealing will only take you so far. You still have to have the chops, which you do.

What`s this "senile" crap?
That explains a long-standing mystery. I lived next door to an Ancient Narbonean for many years, and despite neither of us formally knowing a single word of the other's language, we were still able to converse perfectly well, especially when we were out walking on Ilkla' Moor baht tat!

Perhaps a light interlude before more serious horror.

As Sextus led his men to the gate of the harena, he was surprised to see a crowd of people already, an hour before the execution, flocking into the venue. The procurator (manager), a short fat man with thinning hair plastered with oil across his balding pate, his expansive toga spotted with food and wine stains, came up to Sextus, panting and sweating. Immediately, he began pouring out his tale of woe in a high girlish voice.
“I am so very relieved to see you, Tesserarius. People are arriving much earlier than expected. I had no way of knowing it would be like this. You know that I was given very little notice. It seems this girl and her crucifixion seem to have excited a prurient interest in many of the civium. I am terrified that we shall run out of seats in the stands and the crowd will get violent. What shall I do? What shall I do? Ye Gods, protect me!” The round man wrung his hands in despair, his copious jowls trembling.
“Relax, Celunne Uindine," said Sextus, using the Latin form of the Gaul's name. Sextus found the rotund impresario amusing, and his Gallic name (meaning white tub) very droll. He had no problem with the procurator's well-known preference for young men; to each his own, thought the officer. “The milites are here, and we shall maintain order. I shall assign a contubernium (eight men) to the main gate to assist your men.”
O, gratias tibi tam, domine (thank you so much, lord)! I have been beside myself. The Praeses will be here any moment and would be offended if things got out of control! And poor Celluno will take all the blame!"
“They will not get out of control while I’m here.” The manager looked with gratitude and love at the forceful and handsome young officer.

Sextus turned and began to give orders. He assigned the eight promised with orders to support Celunno’s staff at the gate. Then another contubernium was sent to keep watch on the other minor exits. Another was detailed to stand guard around the inside perimeter of the harena. The final contubernium Sextus kept with him as a reserve. He addressed Celunno, “I shall maintain my position at the entrance to the Imperial Box. If you need anything else, see me there.”
"Oh, thank you!” gushed the fat man, “You are my hero.” Celluno bowed low and kissed manum Tesserarii. (the hand of the Tesserrius).
Sextus chuckled to himself at the funny little man and led his group into the harena. He was surprised to see the seats already almost half occupied. In the center, a crew was setting a large, dark, and foreboding stipes (stake, vertical beam) securely in the ground.

Mogurix Acaunissa went to stand by Barbarias’ left side, facing back, preparing to pace off his position. He whispered under his breath so only she would hear. “You’ve got this coming Germana spuma (German scum). This - he held the evil flagrum near her face - is for all the excremento (shit) your people have given mine." The Goth girl looked over and saw terrible hate in the man's eyes and an evil grin on his face. "Bijan (I beg you),” she began to protest. “We have always prayed for peace with the Gauls.” But, before the words came out, he had paced away.

Mogurix Acaunissa went to stand by Barbarias’ left side, facing back, preparing to pace off his position. He whispered under his breath so only she would hear. “You’ve got this coming Germana spuma (German scum). This - he held the evil flagrum near her face - is for all the excremento (shit) your people have given mine."
Geez! Talk about holding a grudge? :confused:

Perhaps a light interlude before more serious horror.

As Sextus led his men to the gate of the harena, he was surprised to see a crowd of people already, an hour before the execution, flocking into the venue. The procurator (manager), a short fat man with thinning hair plastered with oil across his balding pate, his expansive toga spotted with food and wine stains, came up to Sextus, panting and sweating. Immediately, he began pouring out his tale of woe in a high girlish voice.
“I am so very relieved to see you, Tesserarius. People are arriving much earlier than expected. I had no way of knowing it would be like this. You know that I was given very little notice. It seems this girl and her crucifixion seem to have excited a prurient interest in many of the civium. I am terrified that we shall run out of seats in the stands and the crowd will get violent. What shall I do? What shall I do? Ye Gods, protect me!” The round man wrung his hands in despair, his copious jowls trembling.
“Relax, Celunne Uindine," said Sextus, using the Latin form of the Gaul's name. Sextus found the rotund impresario amusing, and his Gallic name (meaning white tub) very droll. He had no problem with the procurator's well-known preference for young men; to each his own, thought the officer. “The milites are here, and we shall maintain order. I shall assign a contubernium (eight men) to the main gate to assist your men.”
O, gratias tibi tam, domine (thank you so much, lord)! I have been beside myself. The Praeses will be here any moment and would be offended if things got out of control! And poor Celluno will take all the blame!"
“They will not get out of control while I’m here.” The manager looked with gratitude and love at the forceful and handsome young officer.

Sextus turned and began to give orders. He assigned the eight promised with orders to support Celunno’s staff at the gate. Then another contubernium was sent to keep watch on the other minor exits. Another was detailed to stand guard around the inside perimeter of the harena. The final contubernium Sextus kept with him as a reserve. He addressed Celunno, “I shall maintain my position at the entrance to the Imperial Box. If you need anything else, see me there.”
"Oh, thank you!” gushed the fat man, “You are my hero.” Celluno bowed low and kissed manum Tesserarii. (the hand of the Tesserrius).
Sextus chuckled to himself at the funny little man and led his group into the harena. He was surprised to see the seats already almost half occupied. In the center, a crew was setting a large, dark, and foreboding stipes (stake, vertical beam) securely in the ground.

Mogurix Acaunissa went to stand by Barbarias’ left side, facing back, preparing to pace off his position. He whispered under his breath so only she would hear. “You’ve got this coming Germana spuma (German scum). This - he held the evil flagrum near her face - is for all the excremento (shit) your people have given mine." The Goth girl looked over and saw terrible hate in the man's eyes and an evil grin on his face. "Bijan (I beg you),” she began to protest. “We have always prayed for peace with the Gauls.” But, before the words came out, he had paced away.
Ancient crowd control at its best!

The appearance of Celluno Uindos
unnamed12.jpg
required updating the DP

Dramatis Personae (named characters in order of appearance)

Barbara – 24, Serva, Goth girl, virgin, daughter of the tribe’s headsman or shaman.

Marcus Lycus – 45, Mercator, wealthy slave trader, a man with no morals, only lust and greed

Septimus Silva – 34, Bello Praeconem, top auctioneer in Narbo. Friend to Tertius (below)

Marcus Julius Claudius Gallicus - 54, Senator, the extremely wealthy patriarch of an old and respected family in the Province

Galerius Corvus Antonious – 20, Iuventa, the spoiled and repulsive son of the Governor.

Lucius Piso - 43, Quaestor (Investigator; a magistrate, the lowest ranking position in the cursus honorum; fiscal official controlling funds and audits and in antiquity charged with investigations and prosecutions). Very concerned with projecting probity

Tertius Aemilius – 72, Senex, Beloved elder aristocrat; nicknamed, servus olim amoris (old slave of love) for his tendency to be captivated by the sexual beauty of young women.

Gaius Calixtus – 39, Centurio, commanding the Narbo garrison. Hard-as-nails veteran, yet taciturn and soft-spoken.

Mogurix Acaunissa – 29, Optio centuriae (chosen man of the century). A lumbering giant of a man, second-in-command of the Narbo Garrison. Gaul from the Ausci tribe who hate Germans and Goths.

Gaius Claudius Antonious – 55, Praeses provinciae Gallia Narbonensis (Leader [Governor] of the province of Narbonean Gaul), father of Galerius, a widower. Well-respected, almost beloved, by the people of the province.
Often accompanied by his entourage, his comites (companions)

Fritigernus (latinized from the Gothic, Friþugairns, meaning peace seeker) – 56, Reiks (leader) of the Goth tribe near Narbo and father of Barbara.

Sextus Diocletianus – 32, Tesserarius. Third-in-command of the Narbo Garrison.

Quintus Maximinus – 27, Decanus. Born in the province of Cartheginiensis in Hispania.

Celluno Uindos – 47, Procurator (Manager) of the Narbo harena. Short, fat, balding, easily scared, and attracted to young men. A Gaul.

The appearance of Celluno Uindos
View attachment 998656
required updating the DP

Dramatis Personae (named characters in order of appearance)

Barbara – 24, Serva, Goth girl, virgin, daughter of the tribe’s headsman or shaman.

Marcus Lycus – 45, Mercator, wealthy slave trader, a man with no morals, only lust and greed

Septimus Silva – 34, Bello Praeconem, top auctioneer in Narbo. Friend to Tertius (below)

Marcus Julius Claudius Gallicus - 54, Senator, the extremely wealthy patriarch of an old and respected family in the Province

Galerius Corvus Antonious – 20, Iuventa, the spoiled and repulsive son of the Governor.

Lucius Piso - 43, Quaestor (Investigator; a magistrate, the lowest ranking position in the cursus honorum; fiscal official controlling funds and audits and in antiquity charged with investigations and prosecutions). Very concerned with projecting probity

Tertius Aemilius – 72, Senex, Beloved elder aristocrat; nicknamed, servus olim amoris (old slave of love) for his tendency to be captivated by the sexual beauty of young women.

Gaius Calixtus – 39, Centurio, commanding the Narbo garrison. Hard-as-nails veteran, yet taciturn and soft-spoken.

Mogurix Acaunissa – 29, Optio centuriae (chosen man of the century). A lumbering giant of a man, second-in-command of the Narbo Garrison. Gaul from the Ausci tribe who hate Germans and Goths.

Gaius Claudius Antonious – 55, Praeses provinciae Gallia Narbonensis (Leader [Governor] of the province of Narbonean Gaul), father of Galerius, a widower. Well-respected, almost beloved, by the people of the province.
Often accompanied by his entourage, his comites (companions)

Fritigernus (latinized from the Gothic, Friþugairns, meaning peace seeker) – 56, Reiks (leader) of the Goth tribe near Narbo and father of Barbara.

Sextus Diocletianus – 32, Tesserarius. Third-in-command of the Narbo Garrison.

Quintus Maximinus – 27, Decanus. Born in the province of Cartheginiensis in Hispania.

Celluno Uindos – 47, Procurator (Manager) of the Narbo harena. Short, fat, balding, easily scared, and attracted to young men. A Gaul.
You may need an HR department to manage all your staff... ;)

The Ausci Gaul begins his revenge.

Twelve feet behind the girl, Mogurix stopped and turned. He stood for a minute, the vicious whip dangling from his right hand, his fingers caressing the ridged wood handle. He surveyed the Goth's already cut and bleeding back to select his first target. Then he turned to his Centurion and nodded his readiness.
Calixtus nodded in return and said, with, it seemed, a slight reluctance, "Optio. Quattuor plus. Procede ad voluntatem (Four More. Proceed at will).”
The large and muscular Optio did not have the speed of the smaller and lighter Decanus, and the Gallic giant lumbered a bit at the start. But with twelve feet to cover, he gained speed until he looked like a charging bull as he approached the bound girl!

Timing his stroke to perfection, Mogurix swept the whip around her body to impact the far flank, her right, with a crushing blow. The thongs spread to cover her flank from waist to armpit, with one end finding the tender side of her breast. As the momentum dragged the strands back and down toward her spine, the balls and wires cut and tore at her flesh, opening deep wounds.
Barb let loose a long howling scream of pain. As Mogurix walked back to his position, many could see the broad, satisfied grin on his face.

Praeses Antonious arrived with three of his comitum (retinue) and two personal bodyguards at the harena, about a half-hour before noon. He was pleased to see a substantial presence of the praesidii (garrison) on duty. Gaius had some concern for possible rowdiness by the crowd or even some demonstration by the local Goths. He knew the mincing and timorous procurator would be completely unable to handle any of that.

Gaius led his little group inside and was shocked to see most seats already taken. As he strode across the earthen event space, followed by his band, the Praeses acknowledged the scattered applause for the day’s entertainment and proceeded to his box. There, he greeted the Tesserarius (he couldn’t quite remember the officer’s name – but he knew he was a good man) and his detachment of soldiers.
Ave, Tesserarie. Persevera bonum opum (keep up the good work). How many men do you have)?”
“Four contubernia, Governor. Centurion Calixtus shall bring three more (for a total of about 60 men).” replied Sextus.
Optime, optime! Procede (Very good, very good! Proceed).” Antonious turned and the group of six entered the box (which could comfortably hold fourteen). Once seated, the Praeses instructed his servants to bring the first refreshments. As he waited, Gaius pondered his decision. While he wished to follow the advice of his senior councilors, he still was not quite decided. And he also needed to consider how he would explain his judgment to the crowd.

Then he saw the procurator, waddling toward the box, already in a half-bow.

The still-standing amphitheater in Nemausus (modern Nimes, Provence).

30-vue-aerienne-arenes-nimes.jpg
The city was dubbed "the most Roman city outside Italy" (The Telegraph. 30 July 2018). The arena in Narbo (totally lost during the early Middle Ages) was substantially smaller, though built on a similar pattern.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom