Go to CruxDreams.com
I continue to work on the ebook of THE WITCH, which will have around 60 illustrations and expanded text with around 10 chapters. I look forward to sharing it in this thread when its done.

I've completed 2 new illustrations that will be of interest. The first takes us to the evening of Agnes' first examination day. The guards have left her strung up in the scold's bridle after the witch-pricking and visit her during the night.

The Witch-Scold Bridle 2-LR.jpg

The second new illustration is after Agnes' flogging on the fourth examination day. The guards do not return her to her cell. Instead, they take her to another chamber and lock her in the scavenger's daughter standing upright and chained to the ceiling.

Contorted this way for the night, Agnes' suffering will be increased when she is put to the rack the next day.

The Witch-Scavenger Daughter-LR.jpg

@bulldog.69 asked me how I create my illustrations, so I decided to show you all. In another thread there was a discussion about my original paper illustrations that I circulated to the email group before I started with Photoshop and did the PETRA series. My method hasn't changed, just the medium. I still draw, ink, and paint. Before it was with a pencil and art markers. Now its with a Wacom tablet (still the same after nearly 20 years of use) on Photoshop. My Wacom tablet is plug-and-play while the modern ones are bluetooth. I haven't upgraded because ol' reliable remains ol' reliable. It's also something about all my illustrations for nearly the last 20 years having been made on the same device, which is pretty cool to me. It's like using the same pencil.

Anyway, let's use my recent illustration of poor Agnes in the Scavenger's Daughter. This is the same method used in the comic book industry for the last 2 decades. I start off with a sketch. I like blue color for people and red for outfits or instruments so they are easily distinguishable. I pay special attention to the face, hands, and feet. Those are the most important parts of the body to me as they convey the best aesthetics and expressions.

I then do what is called "inking" of the drawing over the sketch in black. Here I use more precision for cleaner lines, while the sketch is more free flowing. I then prepare for painting and create a "flats" image. It's known as flats because flat colors are used and each part is easily distinguishable. This is necessary for the painting because, for instance, Agnes' body is all one color in final image but I need the plains of the legs, arms, etc. in order to do highlighting and shading.

Photoshop has a cool "magic wand" tool which lets you click on a color and that color is highlighted and will be the only color you can paint. I clicked on the various colors on the "flats" image and painted the base colors for the illustration.

I then proceed to do shading and highlighting on the color image. I always start on the eyes and face. If they come out well I know the illustration will come out well. After that I add the necessary effects such as tears, sweat, dirt, etc. Finally, I bring in the background and do the scenery shading such as shadows and light.

Hope you all enjoyed this little insight into how I create my illustrations. It may one day be a dying art, but I enjoy it immensely and as long as I am able to still draw I'll continue to follow this method, which I learned 20 years ago when I bought an instructional CD set made by a professional comic book artist.
WTSDTest01.jpgWTSDTest02.jpgWTSDTest03.jpgWTSDTest04.jpgWTSDTest05.jpgWTSDTest06.jpgWTSDTest07.jpg

@bulldog.69 asked me how I create my illustrations, so I decided to show you all. In another thread there was a discussion about my original paper illustrations that I circulated to the email group before I started with Photoshop and did the PETRA series. My method hasn't changed, just the medium. I still draw, ink, and paint. Before it was with a pencil and art markers. Now its with a Wacom tablet (still the same after nearly 20 years of use) on Photoshop. My Wacom tablet is plug-and-play while the modern ones are bluetooth. I haven't upgraded because ol' reliable remains ol' reliable. It's also something about all my illustrations for nearly the last 20 years having been made on the same device, which is pretty cool to me. It's like using the same pencil.

Anyway, let's use my recent illustration of poor Agnes in the Scavenger's Daughter. This is the same method used in the comic book industry for the last 2 decades. I start off with a sketch. I like blue color for people and red for outfits or instruments so they are easily distinguishable. I pay special attention to the face, hands, and feet. Those are the most important parts of the body to me as they convey the best aesthetics and expressions.

I then do what is called "inking" of the drawing over the sketch in black. Here I use more precision for cleaner lines, while the sketch is more free flowing. I then prepare for painting and create a "flats" image. It's known as flats because flat colors are used and each part is easily distinguishable. This is necessary for the painting because, for instance, Agnes' body is all one color in final image but I need the plains of the legs, arms, etc. in order to do highlighting and shading.

Photoshop has a cool "magic wand" tool which lets you click on a color and that color is highlighted and will be the only color you can paint. I clicked on the various colors on the "flats" image and painted the base colors for the illustration.

I then proceed to do shading and highlighting on the color image. I always start on the eyes and face. If they come out well I know the illustration will come out well. After that I add the necessary effects such as tears, sweat, dirt, etc. Finally, I bring in the background and do the scenery shading such as shadows and light.

Hope you all enjoyed this little insight into how I create my illustrations. It may one day be a dying art, but I enjoy it immensely and as long as I am able to still draw I'll continue to follow this method, which I learned 20 years ago when I bought an instructional CD set made by a professional comic book artist.
View attachment 1453655View attachment 1453656View attachment 1453657View attachment 1453658View attachment 1453659View attachment 1453660View attachment 1453661
Wow thanks for sharing your technique, I was going to tag MadBob @bobinder but he’s already following. His comments regarding processes is always insightful

View attachment 1453655View attachment 1453656View attachment 1453657View attachment 1453658View attachment 1453659View attachment 1453660View attachment 1453661
that's a brilliant guide for how to do professional work.

I continue to work on the ebook of THE WITCH, which will have around 60 illustrations and expanded text with around 10 chapters. I look forward to sharing it in this thread when its done.

I've completed 2 new illustrations that will be of interest. The first takes us to the evening of Agnes' first examination day. The guards have left her strung up in the scold's bridle after the witch-pricking and visit her during the night.

View attachment 1453262
The file size limit for .epub and .mobi is 2MB, for .pdf in the archive 10MB. For posting in the archive, you need help by a moderator.
A other possibility for publishing here, link to extern server. To example Google-Drive.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, for the likes and comments. Thanks, Madiosi, for the explanation on file size. I'll keep those in mind as I look to make it work so I can post the ebook of THE WITCH here.

I've settled in on 12 chapters, with each chapter having at least 4 illustrations. I'm working on those chapters that need extra illustrations. The sentencing chapter was one of them so I created this additional illustration of the soldiers leading Agnes to the Lord Provost's castle from Old Tolbooth prison.

The Witch-Sentenced 1-LR.jpg

Thank you again, everyone.

In working on the ebook of THE WITCH, I had to create about 5-7 additional illustrations to "fill in" the visual holes in the story. I'm happy to report that I've completed those. I put off the below illustration until the end because the amount of detail required in King James VI's outfit, throne, and throne room. But I knew I had to include this illustration in the story because it actually happened. The real life Gilly Duncan personally met with King James VI to petition him for clemency, but was denied.

I also had to get a bit creative in King James VI's appearance. All portraits we have of him is when he has already ascended to the English throne as King James I and is in his 40s. But he is 25 years old at the time of the events depicted in THE WITCH. So I had to make him look younger than his portraits, and gave him some great hair that mp5stab loves. LOL.

The Witch-Petition-LR.jpg

I've also completed the first draft of the ebook of THE WITCH and seeing the text pages and illustrations together made me realize I needed a few more illustrations to aid in the narrative transition. For instance, it appeared to me to be too abrupt to start a chapter with Anges suffering the scold's bridle and witch pricking. So I created the below illustration as a bit of introduction. It raises the tension and emotions in the story.

Here, the guards prepare Agnes for her first examination day. I plan to have similar introductions for the flogging and rack scenes.

The Witch-Stripped-LR.jpg

Last edited:

I've also completed the first draft of the ebook of THE WITCH and seeing the text pages and illustrations together made me realize I needed a few more illustrations to aid in the narrative transition. For instance, it appeared to me to be too abrupt to start a chapter with Anges suffering the scold's bridle and witch pricking. So I created the below illustration as a bit of introduction. It raises the tension and emotions in the story.

Here, the guards prepare Agnes for her first examination day. I plan to have similar introductions for the flogging and rack scenes.

View attachment 1456347
This two are really powerful :clapping: :bdsm-heart:

I've completed 2 new introductory illustrations. The first is for the fourth examination day. Agnes has had her day of reprieve for the Lord's Day, and now she is filled with dread as the guards lead her through the labyrinth of Old Tolbooth prison to the flogging chamber.

Attachments

• The Witch-Dread-LR.jpg
    The Witch-Dread-LR.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 233
The second is for the fifth examination day. Agnes, seeing the rack inside the next chamber, struggles in a futile attempt to stop the guards from pulling her inside.

I'm going to put these 2 illustration into the draft ebook and see how it looks and then determine if the story is now visually complete.

Attachments

• The Witch-Struggle-LR.jpg
    The Witch-Struggle-LR.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 275
The second is for the fifth examination day. Agnes, seeing the rack inside the next chamber, struggles in a futile attempt to stop the guards from pulling her inside.

I'm going to put these 2 illustration into the draft ebook and see how it looks and then determine if the story is now visually complete.

What must her back and arse look like after that flogging!

A wholehearted thank you for the likes, comments, and following me on this journey.

Special thanks to @mp5stab @wulf @Madiosi @Yupar @dediego23 @Marcius @Bill8816 @mark sessnatz @Harsh Martinet @tan2000 @gerembeau @thehangingtree @petelobo @Loinclothslave @Barbaria1 @ianwarrick @Aluafaen et Rimmon Ra @qasqas @redish @bobinder @LittleBeethoven @prtn @Wragg @Frank Petrexa @bulldog.69 @mster @stampf @thommorr @Martha Come @Fantasmo @hugh80 @Iconoclast12 @linda r @SMLover @Traveler @michiSlave @Hugin&Munin @Eulalia @Idomeneus @maumau59 @phlebas @Petr @Naraku @messaline @Reanimator @FritzS @thecuriousone @catOnine @quanter @Nobbes25 @TDbats @j@f pain girl @vadim @Riodoro @Kathy @foxwriter74 @rithm22 @broadsword97 @RedOrc @Constantine @vadim1 @Thorwald13 @ducon007 @iuiu38 @Laura1949 @Procurator0209 @Duken @Roberta
@robn13 @crumera

It took me four months, but the definitive ebook of THE WITCH is now completed! It is in PDF format with 100 pages and 65 illustrations. I always wanted to do an illustrated story of this magnitude, and I finally accomplished that. This is certainly my magnus opus.

The links to download from Google Drive will be in the next post. Before I get to that, a little note. My childhood artistic idols were Frank Frazetta, Chris Achilleos, Boris Vallejo, Bernie Wrightson, and John Byrne. I believe a little bit of each of them is in my artwork.

Wrightson’s magnificent illustration of Justine’s hanging in FRANKENSTEIN sparked my interest in the topic as a preteen, and I’ve been captivated by it ever since. In Wrightson’s honor, I’ve created 2 versions of the ebook of THE WITCH, one in color and the other in black-and-white. Here is the Wrightson illustration that inspired me and my homage. I’ve also included the “splash” page for both so you get an idea about the differences.

Both color and black-and-white versions have their appeal, with the latter giving a classical feel invoking a Gustave Dore wood-engraving illustration that captures the period and genre.

BernieWrightsonFrankenstein.jpg1107 - Gallows 17 LR BW.jpg0000C - Splash LR BW.jpg0000C - Splash LR.jpg

As promised, here are the links to the PDF ebook of THE WITCH. I’ve provided the high-resolution versions in both color and black-and-white. Please add these to your personal collections. This is currently the only place on the internet where I’m posting it. Consider it, for the time being, an exclusive gift to you all and CF as a further thank you:

Color High-Resolution (25.7mb)

Black-and-White High-Resolution (18.5mb)

In addition, @Madiosi, please replace the PDF version in the archive with the linked versions below. You can decide which to include in the archives. It is the standard size version and both are under 10 MB in satisfaction of CF’s requirements:

Color Standard Resolution (9.6mb)

Black-and-White Standard Resolution (7.9mb)

Thank you all, again. Until next time!

As promised, here are the links to the PDF ebook of THE WITCH. I’ve provided the high-resolution versions in both color and black-and-white. Please add these to your personal collections. This is currently the only place on the internet where I’m posting it. Consider it, for the time being, an exclusive gift to you all and CF as a further thank you:

In addition, @Madiosi, please replace the PDF version in the archive with the linked versions below. You can decide which to include in the archives. It is the standard size version and both are under 10 MB in satisfaction of CF’s requirements:

The PDF is replaced with the new Version.

Thanks a lot for all your efforts in this whole story and also for sharing pdf file to keep :) <3

Thanks you for amazing works!

Back
Top Bottom