Two-factor authentication

Go to CruxDreams.com
Sorry folks, my bad. :spank:

We were discussing ways to tighten our admissions procedures and security, I asked IM tentatively whether two-step verification could be made compulsory for new registrants, but he misunderstood me and implemented it instantly for all of us! :eek:

I've asked IM to suspend it.

This may be the end for me. I cannot get into my google account on this computer without adding a phone number. I do not want that much connection to me for everything I do on the internet, which is why I have a second email account and computer. When my other computer gets this requirement for two step verification to everything, I may be out. I am not sure why we need two step verification to every website. To me it is a little too much "Big Brother".

So..... if I "dissappear" you all will know why.

MH
Same here. agreed 100% - there's no way in hell I'm getting my crux account in any way linked to my phone - not this side of me getting my head replaced with a cabbage!
In any case I'm pretty sure that the authenticator app wouldn't even work on my 11-year-old Galaxy S3 anyway, so I'll need to use my email for this

am a little worried that this will curtail access for some of our less technologically adept members. I did have some issues with 2FA on my computer.
Honestly, it isn't difficult for me but I know for sure it is going to reduce the time I'm spending in CFs at least 50%, I don't use the app because I don't want to demonstrate CFs on my cellphone for obvious reasons.

Most of the times, I'm logging in rush via my mobile to read some thread and to check my messages, there is absolutely no way to be in so much trouble to open my mail first. I know for sure that I'll not do it.

For the god's sake we don't save money on CFs, why this high security level is needed? in my opinion this measurement is completely garbage and useless... you must give us the choice to disable this

Honestly, it isn't difficult for me but I know for sure it is going to reduce the time I'm spending in CFs at least 50%, I don't use the app because I don't want to demonstrate CFs on my cellphone for obvious reasons.

Most of the times, I'm logging in rush via my mobile to read some thread and to check my messages, there is absolutely no way to be in so much trouble to open my mail first. I know for sure that I'll not do it.

For the god's sake we don't save money on CFs, why this high security level is needed? in my opinion this measurement is completely garbage and useless... you must give us the choice to disable this
See my post above - it's because of a misunderstanding. I've asked IM to suspend the two-step verification.

Presumably it's an attempt to prevent Melissa continuing to fuck with the site - I'm incredibly disappointed in her if she's really got nothing better to do with her time :(

Thanks Eul - I'm just going to get a cup of tea and then I'll see if I can access the site with my real account again :)
It depends when IM gets the message, but I hope we'll be back to normal soon.

Well, well, well. This issue helped me recover a mail account I haven't used in one hundred years and where I had one spam message. Not to mention the time it took me to remember the password. I'll update my information here.
However... pretty annoying. I run a few websites, not to mention a forum and I understand that sometimes measures must be taken. I hope whatever caused the decision taken this morning has been resolved.

It seems that it is not just Crux forums that has this now. As of this morning all of my emails associated with this computer are requiring two step or the addition of a phone number. This computer got an update last night and I am associating this problem with that update. Somehow I just got around the Google requirement by clicking on the help button. But Iam afraid it is just a matter of time before I cannot get in to some sites anymore.

By the way, anyone that has watched my videos lately, my name is not Mark Hunter, it is a spoof made up from my email, which was based on Mermaid Hunter.

MH

This new hoop to jump through severly limits my ability to check the forums.
I can understand moderators etc will have to do 2 way authentication as those accounts can do massive damage to the system.
But why for every user?
Especially unannounced this new hoop is coming.

I don't like this a bit
Verification by phone? Not a single chance in Hell!

I have to wait about 5 minutes for my mail provider to finally show me the code to verify.
So unless this changes, I will probably not visit or post on CF as frequent as before.

Don't think I will be the only one will act like that.
Think this new 2 way authentification is a good way to distance a good portion of the community!

Way to go!!!

NOT!

This new hoop to jump through severly limits my ability to check the forums.
I can understand moderators etc will have to do 2 way authentication as those accounts can do massive damage to the system.
But why for every user?
Especially unannounced this new hoop is coming.
Yeah it was a hell of a shock when I tried to log in this morning - coming up with a box asking me to set up 2FA and asking for my password - I immediately thought this was a phishing attack because that kind of message has "scam" written all over it!
I don't like this a bit
Verification by phone? Not a single chance in Hell!
Agreed 100% - never going to happen
I have to wait about 5 minutes for my mail provider to finally show me the code to verify.
So unless this changes, I will probably not visit or post on CF as frequent as before.

Don't think I will be the only one will act like that.
Think this new 2 way authentification is a good way to distance a good portion of the community!
I agree - I know why this was introduced but frankly if it stays then it will do more harm to this community than Melissa ever could :(
Way to go!!!

NOT!

Folks, you don't need a phone number. For 2FA via an app, you can use any TOTP authenticator app like Google Authenticator, Authy, 1Password, Aegis, or any other. You get a QR code to scan with that app, and then it generates access codes without any further connection needed.
Yeah but if you look at the app permissions, it harvests your phone number and sends that back to the mothership, essentially linking the accounts it access to your phone. Not good enough :(

a somewhat complex procedure, to get the email verification code you need to make at least three or four attempts. I hope better…
I had to check my spam folder before I could find the email :(

Back
Top Bottom