Classic Whipping Scenes Only

Go to CruxDreams.com
It may be of interest that I have also posted about this series (see msg #427) https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threa...in-mainstream-movies.7420/page-22#post-488738) although I was not nearly as thorough or systematic as nsur1.

The evil lady who enjoys watching Katarina get whipped is Lidiya, played by Ksenia Mishina, who I thought was strikingly good looking. She does indeed have beef with Katerina, who stole the heart of the man she (Lidiya) loved. I gave up on the series due to the high volume of melodrama and lack of nudity. The whippings are pretty convincing though.

I quite agree with nsur1 that it is a low down dirty shame that Katarina wasn't put in the pillory in the above scene.

Here's some cheesecake of the stunning Ksenia Mishina. Alas, I could not find any nudes:

View attachment 981584View attachment 981585View attachment 981586

View attachment 981582 I was envious of the dude when I saw this pic; it looks like they're delighted they got to know each other. But in actuality,

View attachment 981583 it's just another day at the office for her.

Thanks for that, Jon, and sorry I missed your originally posting in 2019 -- that predated my CF membership.

I believe the first series (Ep. 1-24) is on Amazon Prime, presumably with English sub-titles, but as I'm not a Prime member I stuck with the Russian-only versions on Youtube. In terms of my stamina for overwrought melodrama, it may be a good thing that I don't understand Russian and don't have the subtitles - I simply downloaded all 48 episodes and scanned each for scenes of interest. Much quicker than streaming each of them on Prime, or Youtube for that matter. Not sure if or when the second series (Ep. 25-48) will appear on Amazon Prime. The first few episodes of the second series have the majority of the good scenes, until the point when Lidiya tries to bury Kateryna alive, triggering a peasant's revolt in the course of which her house is burned with her inside. I'm not so keen about events in the big city thereafter, although the brothel scenes are very sumptuous in terms of costuming. There is mention of a forthcoming third series, but I'm not sure if they managed to shoot it before COVID struck. A lot of ongoing serials may never come back now because the cost and effort of reassembling cast, crew and sets after a 1-2 year delay may be prohibitive.

I know there has been grumbling here about the lack of nudity, but I find myself not minding that too much in this instance -- it's a costume drama and the costumes give a sense of time and place, whereas nude women looked much the same at all times. I think the barefoot walk, dungeon scene and flogging in Ep. 24/25 in particular are made much more powerful by Kataryna wearing her increasingly disheveled blue frock and would be less striking if she were nude or stripped to the waist.

One thing that strikes me is that the only one flogging on the bare back was Kataryna's first flogging in Ep. 18 (or would have been if she hadn't been reprieved). All the peasant girls get whipped on their blouses or shifts. I wonder whether that is because Kataryna's dress was actually expensive and her owner wouldn't want it torn. Lidiya, of course, didn't care about that for Kataryna's second flogging.

Incidentally, I have been a bit inconsistent with the spelling of the name of the heroine. "Kateryna" is what the producers use in their English language promo blurb, but Kataryna, Katerina and Katarina are I think also all valid transliterations.

Last edited:
My favorite whipping scene is not a whipping pole per se, and it is about a girl, preferably brave or defiant, a warrior, hanging naked from anywhere with chains or ropes. Her feet tied or loose that would not touch the ground. The lashes would come from all sides. At the end of these, leave her hanging to see the results of the torture. And it would be exciting for her to remain defiant so I can continue to torture her until she surrenders to me.

Sardox and Nansakh plus a random vintage cover. All females whipping men!

Attachments

• 5B19F386-5BDE-4743-9B78-AE66696A7EED.jpeg
    5B19F386-5BDE-4743-9B78-AE66696A7EED.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 427
  • A59A97E2-37EA-4FD9-A6FC-0722FBB10AEB.jpeg
    A59A97E2-37EA-4FD9-A6FC-0722FBB10AEB.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 387
  • FB79E0C4-71EE-4D63-A070-992215942F3A.jpeg
    FB79E0C4-71EE-4D63-A070-992215942F3A.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 59178DA3-13B2-41AD-AA67-036EBCD4BA68.jpeg
    59178DA3-13B2-41AD-AA67-036EBCD4BA68.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 352
  • B0834743-B935-4F00-9B6F-2B04D08BB901.jpeg
    B0834743-B935-4F00-9B6F-2B04D08BB901.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 341
  • E18FA966-AA83-46B0-AD60-B0A86EB04CF7.jpeg
    E18FA966-AA83-46B0-AD60-B0A86EB04CF7.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 328
  • 4D7B7610-E407-4741-9DE7-53E8DB85081B.jpeg
    4D7B7610-E407-4741-9DE7-53E8DB85081B.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 342
  • FA43AB9F-7618-4468-B1F7-C28B22FD85B6.jpeg
    FA43AB9F-7618-4468-B1F7-C28B22FD85B6.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 346
  • 6732F620-DF5A-49F8-91EE-B9A442BFE592.jpeg
    6732F620-DF5A-49F8-91EE-B9A442BFE592.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 445
Thanks for that, Jon, and sorry I missed your originally posting in 2019 -- that predated my CF membership.
I also posted a couple more messages in this thread about the series--msg #s 450 and 451. They are screencaps of Katarina's almost bareback whipping and the jealous peasant girl's whipping in place of Katarina.
Not sure if or when the second series (Ep. 25-48) will appear on Amazon Prime.
I just checked Amazon Prime and Love in Chains, Season 2, is indeed available for those interested.
There is mention of a forthcoming third series, but I'm not sure if they managed to shoot it before COVID struck. A lot of ongoing serials may never come back now because the cost and effort of reassembling cast, crew and sets after a 1-2 year delay may be prohibitive.
As I understand, the series was very popular in Eastern Europe, so I would expect it would be continued, but you make an excellent point about the logistics of continuing a series after such a delay. I hadn't thought of that. The pandemic has had far reaching implications; even to the very underpinnings of our society itself--the TV.
I know there has been grumbling here about the lack of nudity, but I find myself not minding that too much in this instance -- it's a costume drama and the costumes give a sense of time and place, whereas nude women looked much the same at all times.
We will just have to agree to disagree. IMHO it would be far more historically appropriate to strip a woman to the waist for a whipping, as it would increase her humiliation and also reduce the danger of infection. Nor would one have to damage the clothing, if that were a concern. Her clothes wouldn't have to be torn off, as is routinely done in these types of scenes. I'm sure a woman of Katarina's gentility would comply readily enough with the whipper's request to pull her dress down, if he asked politely.

I think it would make more sense for Lidiya, given her cruelty and desire to punish an humiliate Katarina to the fullest extent, to have her stripped, at least to the waist, for her barefoot walk, and for her whippings.

And as I mentioned many times before, we Americans are very prudish about showing topless women on commercial TV. I think that is less true in Europe. I've seen a lot of nudity in European TV shows that just wouldn't be permitted on U.S. TV. So I don't know why the Russians/Ukrainians were so careful about the characters' modesty in this series.

As far as nude women looking much the same at all times, well, that's not quite true. After all, it's taken a couple hundred thousand hard years, give or take, for human females to evolve to their current form, and I think we should all be proud of that, and display the results as often as possible.

I also posted a couple more messages in this thread about the series--msg #s 450 and 451. They are screencaps of Katarina's almost bareback whipping and the jealous peasant girl's whipping in place of Katarina.

I just checked Amazon Prime and Love in Chains, Season 2, is indeed available for those interested.

As I understand, the series was very popular in Eastern Europe, so I would expect it would be continued, but you make an excellent point about the logistics of continuing a series after such a delay. I hadn't thought of that. The pandemic has had far reaching implications; even to the very underpinnings of our society itself--the TV.

We will just have to agree to disagree. IMHO it would be far more historically appropriate to strip a woman to the waist for a whipping, as it would increase her humiliation and also reduce the danger of infection. Nor would one have to damage the clothing, if that were a concern. Her clothes wouldn't have to be torn off, as is routinely done in these types of scenes. I'm sure a woman of Katarina's gentility would comply readily enough with the whipper's request to pull her dress down, if he asked politely.

I think it would make more sense for Lidiya, given her cruelty and desire to punish an humiliate Katarina to the fullest extent, to have her stripped, at least to the waist, for her barefoot walk, and for her whippings.

And as I mentioned many times before, we Americans are very prudish about showing topless women on commercial TV. I think that is less true in Europe. I've seen a lot of nudity in European TV shows that just wouldn't be permitted on U.S. TV. So I don't know why the Russians/Ukrainians were so careful about the characters' modesty in this series.

As far as nude women looking much the same at all times, well, that's not quite true. After all, it's taken a couple hundred thousand hard years, give or take, for human females to evolve to their current form, and I think we should all be proud of that, and display the results as often as possible.

Don't mistake me -- I too would have preferred floggings stripped to the waist (or at least on the bare skin) as well. Flogging a back bloody through a cloth layer is impractical and unhygienic, if nothing else, and hence unhistorical. Plus, the overseers and landowners back in the day were as well aware of the sexual humiliation aspect of floggings as any of us. However, I didn't mind the costumes in the bondage and humiliation scenes, in particular the barefoot walk and the dungeon, and also when she is forced to work in the fields post-flogging. Wearing her posh dress in these scenes made the humiliation more acute, not less, than being stripped. And even in the floggings, having them wear blouses or shifts is a relatively minor irritation for me as otherwise these scenes are very nicely shot and the pain and humiliation of the girls well captured. Better, actually, than in the recent scene from "The Reckoning", for example.

As to European TV showing more nudity than US, that is probably true in Western Europe, but I believe Poland for example is pretty conservative in that respect and getting more so and this show was shown primetime in Poland.

Incidentally, I have been a bit inconsistent with the spelling of the name of the heroine. "Kateryna" is what the producers use in their English language promo blurb, but Kataryna, Katerina and Katarina are I think also all valid transliterations.
"Krіposna" ("Serf Girl", or "Love in Chains") is a Ukrainian TV series in Russian, the events take place in Nizhyn, Chernihiv region. In Ukrainian, the main character's name is Kateryna, and in Russian - Katerina ("y" is pronounced more closed than "i" ). Both in Ukrainian and in Russian this name is spelled the same (Катерина), but in Ukrainian "и" is pronounced like "y", and in Russian - like "i". Katarina is more of a German version.

Last edited:
"Krіposna" ("Serf Girl", or "Love in Chains") is a Ukrainian TV series in Russian, the events take place in Nizhyn, Chernihiv region. In Ukrainian, the main character's name is Kateryna, and in Russian - Katerina ("y" is pronounced more closed than "i" ). Both in Ukrainian and in Russian this name is spelled the same (Катерина), but in Ukrainian "и" is pronounced like "y", and in Russian - like "i". Katarina is more of a German version.

That's no doubt why I keep finding myself typing "Kataryna" despite my firm intention to only use the "Kateryna" spelling. Maybe I should stick with Katya, which is harder to mistype. There's a full list of spelling variations of the name Katherine on Wikipedia here -- there are hundreds of them (and to my shame, "Kataryna" is not on it)!

That's no doubt why I keep finding myself typing "Kataryna" despite my firm intention to only use the "Kateryna" spelling. Maybe I should stick with Katya, which is harder to mistype. There's a full list of spelling variations of the name Katherine on Wikipedia here -- there are hundreds of them (and to my shame, "Kataryna" is not on it)!
In this list, the Slavic versions of the name "Katherine" are transferred rather freely. So, in Belarusian the correct version is Katsiaryna, and in Polish - Katarzyna. Kasia, Kasieńka are diminutive names.

Well worth fast-forwarding through this series, even for non-Russian speakers as me. Trying to keep count, I have seen (including the scenes above):

SPOILER ALERT!

Nsur1, thank you so much for the detailed documentation of relevant scenes in Love in Chains. That was a lot of work on your part, but some of the scenes are providing delicious juice for my fantasies.

However disappointing the scenes may be, they strike me as quite intense for anything close to mainstream TV. I agree with your earlier suggestion that a fetishist was likely involved in making this series.

I think I've used a variety of spellings as well. Perhaps I should stick with the American versions like Catherine, Cathy, Cath, or The Cathmeister.

In this list, the Slavic versions of the name "Katherine" are transferred rather freely. So, in Belarusian the correct version is Katsiaryna, and in Polish - Katarzyna. Kasia, Kasieńka are diminutive names.
Thanks for the insights into Russian/Ukranian. I'm actually trying to learn Russian, and have progressed to the point I can recognize the letters. Still can't pronounce all of them though. Like these: ы й and щ. And I still haven't deciphered what in the world I'm supposed to do with these two characters: ь and ъ. If you heard me try to speak it I my accent would either be incomprehensible or laughable.

I do love the wide array of diminutives, which as I understand it can express different attitudes and moods when spoken at different time under different circumstances. I suppose every language uses diminutives, but I don't think English uses the variety that Russian does.

And even in the floggings, having them wear blouses or shifts is a relatively minor irritation for me as otherwise these scenes are very nicely shot and the pain and humiliation of the girls well captured. Better, actually, than in the recent scene from "The Reckoning", for example.
I haven't seen "The Reckoning" yet, but judging from both the trailers and Hammers downloaded excerpts (thanks Hammers!) https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threa...in-mainstream-movies.7420/page-36#post-588355 it looks like the director was very careful about protecting the lead actor's modesty. And I suspect that the suggestion of nudity is just a tease, and nothing more graphic will be shown. I'm going to have to take a look at it, but I'm going in with the anticipation of being frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom