Nostalgia - Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
You do you know in what occasion and where this gig happened ?

I think it's from the Concert for Bangladesh, organized by George Harrison.

The song stirs up nostalgia in me because I remember it wafting out of my older brother's bedroom when I was maybe 13 years old. It took me much longer to gain an appreciation of Dylan, but I loved this song the first time I heard it.

All the rage in the forties!
Even bare midriffs - I didn't know my grandmas wore them!
1587241218587.png

(I doubt they did, actually, I think during the War and after,
'fashion' was out of fashion, at least in Scotland)

Silly song, but must have been a big hit then. Short skirts for the boys?
All the rage in the forties!
I believe that one is originally from The Andrews Sisters who often performed wearing military uniforms like shown in that video. In the 1940s, there was a huge drive among the entertainers in the U.S. to support their troops sent to the WWII, which culminated in creating some great shows like Command Performance or The Mail Call:

(I love how Ethel Smith blasts her Hammond organ away like that :) )

Honestly, I can't say I'm a fan of The Andrews Sisters but their songs (not really 'theirs,' though, as none of them were singer-songwriters) still interest me since the popular music as we know of today didn't even exist back when they were active. The 40s was mainly the era of big band orchestra and swing jazz, and I see them as a prototype for many girl groups which would begin to appear decades later.

I think it's from the Concert for Bangladesh, organized by George Harrison.

The song stirs up nostalgia in me because I remember it wafting out of my older brother's bedroom when I was maybe 13 years old. It took me much longer to gain an appreciation of Dylan, but I loved this song the first time I heard it.

Oh yes, the great Concert for the Bangladesh. Thanks for the information.

I know this song/video is super popular, so probably most of us already know it. But I happened to realize that I haven't practiced playing the guitar for quite some time, so I just wanted to dig up some of my favourite guitar playing videos on Youtube today:

By any chance, if any of you haven't watched it yet, and normally can't stand such types of music, then you can just fast-forward to 2:00 mark as that's when the real fun begins. It demonstrates such a level of virtuosity and mastery of the instrument that even those who don't normally listen to guitar instrumental songs could enjoy it.

I believe that video has made as many people giving up playing the guitar as many starting it.

I discovered Nanci Griffith only recently, but I'm glad I did because this has become one of my favoruite songs pretty fast. The 90s were such a time when there was a sudden flux of great female musicians and I was too busy listening to more popular artists like Alanis Morissette to have noticed her back then.

But thanks to Youtube, now I can go back in time to search for any great musicians whom I've missed. And I especially love such songs which tells a story like this one. As I mentioned of Bob Dylan in another thread, it reminds me of the fact that all musicians were once bards and poets at one time.

P.S.: Is it just me that somehow think she resembles a cat? :)

Do you know that hip hop was invented in the 40s? Just watch this :p

No, not really... I know that it's not really how hip hop was started, but it's close enough for me to joke about it.

It's an odd number from an odd musical film from the 40s. To call it a 'film' may be an overstatement since it entirely lacks any coherent plot whatsoever. In many of those early musical films, the story was just used to fill the gaps between music sequences. But in this case, even such a pretence was abandoned as the whole film is simply a collection of random music and comic performances by variety of actors and actresses who were bound to MGM by their contracts.

It's a pity that Judy Garland had to waste her prime years (which could be 1944-1946, in my personal opinion) over such a silly film, but it's hard to deny that this number looks quite marvelous. She always had a knack for comic acting and this also shows in this sequence.

One thing that I like about musical films from this era is that they didn't know too many fancy editing techniques at that time, so they often just shot the major part of a sequence in a single long take, which can give such a fluid feel as you can see in this video. It required much skills and practice from the performers and choreographers, but Judy Garland was said to have a natural talent for this so she was called "one-take Judy" sometimes.

Non Ho L'Età

Non ho l'età
Non ho l'età per amarti
Non ho l'età per uscire sola con te

E non avrei
Non avrei
Nulla da dirti
Perché, tu sai
Molte più cose di me

Se tu vorrai
Se tu vorrai
Aspettarmi