The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Now here is a problem!! Miss Strictland at St Melanias is going to give each girl in her maths class six of the best until they come up with the correct solution to the problem on the board. It's her way of raising standards. I think poor Henrietta is soon to part company with her knickers and taste miss Strictland's cane. Is there a mathematician in the house who could at least solve the first part of the problem? The girls of St Melanias are counting on you...
3buoSYp.jpg

Pic hosted externally.

So. Is the Coffee Shop a place to discuss food? If so, here is a video of making Figgy Pudding, just in time for the holidays (it should rest for weeks). Any of our older Brits here play the "Snap-Dragon" as a nipper?

Now here is a problem!! Miss Strictland at St Melanias is going to give each girl in her maths class six of the best until they come up with the correct solution to the problem on the board. It's her way of raising standards. I think poor Henrietta is soon to part company with her knickers and taste miss Strictland's cane. Is there a mathematician in the house who could at least solve the first part of the problem? The girls of St Melanias are counting on you...
3buoSYp.jpg

Pic hosted externally.
As a non-mathematician with a pie and a knife, I reckon 20.

3buoSYp.jpg

Pic hosted externally.
After 100 cuts my pie looks like Apple Brown Betty with a red ass! Although a comely babe's ass with 100 cuts would be downright bloody!

A pie with 100 cuts? Are the owners of the Coffee Shop trying to make more profit out of one pie? I hope I still get a piece of pie of the usual decent size with my coffee!:roto2cafe:

So. Is the Coffee Shop a place to discuss food? If so, here is a video of making Figgy Pudding, just in time for the holidays (it should rest for weeks). Any of our older Brits here play the "Snap-Dragon" as a nipper?
In the War when I was growing up, brandy was definitely unavailable, but I can remember my mother making Christmas puddings like that, having saved up fruit ,flour and fat during the year from our meagre rations.
Interestingly, one of the local breweries used to place a notice in the newspaper, stating the date and time when the women could take their puddings to be boiled in one of their large copper vats.
Obviously, this was in the happy carefree days before the advent of the odious multi-national brewers.

Just had an urgent message from poor Henrietta..."Melissa please help me!! this mad psychopath behind me is going to turn my bum into a mass of quivering bloodied flesh...please help me..."

problem3.jpg Oh dear! I see what she means. Little time left. With her pencil and paper Eulalia was closest to solving Problem A but it becomes impossible after a little while so you need a little cunning. If we let c=number of cuts and p=number of pieces then we can soon draw up a table like this..

c p
0 1
1 2
2 4
3 7
Now you see a pattern! Don't you? There is still time to save Henrietta!

Just had an urgent message from poor Henrietta..."Melissa please help me!! this mad psychopath behind me is going to turn my bum into a mass of quivering bloodied flesh...please help me..."

View attachment 933909 Oh dear! I see what she means. Little time left. With her pencil and paper Eulalia was closest to solving Problem A but it becomes impossible after a little while so you need a little cunning. If we let c=number of cuts and p=number of pieces then we can soon draw up a table like this..

c p
0 1
1 2
2 4
3 7
Now you see a pattern! Don't you? There is still time to save Henrietta!
Why would we do that?

I think it is Sum(number of cuts) = 1

so 6 cuts gives 1+2+3+4+5+6+1=22

so 100 cuts gives 5050 =1 =5051
Congratulations to Old Slave who has come up with the simplest solution of BOTH problems. If people are wondering how he got 5051 he probably used 1+2+3+4+...+99+100=100x(100+1)/2 =5050. Then add 1 to get 5051 which by the way is a big prime number. Henrietta is very relieved.

Back
Top Bottom