Go to CruxDreams.com
Poena cullei (penalty of the sack) is believed to have originated about 200 BC in Rome as punishment for parricidium (parricide - killing a relative, especially a parent, committing treason, killing a ruler, or another authority figure). Its etymology from pars [equal or fellow] and cidere [kill] may imply that it originated from the pre-historic blood taboo against shedding the blood of a clansman*). Some scholars believe that the form of execution was significantly older.
Poena cullei continued sporadically until the fall of the Western Empire in the early 5th century shortly after the setting of our story. However, it continued in Byzantine law until almost the end of the first millenium. The punishment gained a revival in late medieval and early modern Germany, with late cases documented from Saxony in the early 1700s.**
As would be expected, for a gruesome and strange procedure, only intermittently used over a thousand years, there was substantial variation in the application. Although the authorities in Narbo were familiar with the Lex Pompeia of 81 BC, the legal basis for the punishment, there had not been such an execution in the memory of any there. Therefore, the author begs the indulgence of the more critical readers here if the mode of execution appears incorrect. He begs two reasons for license. First, the punishment is here not an execution since the Goth is condemned to crucifixion afterward. Secondly, the ignorance and intellectual laziness of these, provincial officials will have caused other discrepancies.

Lucius Piso, relishing his role as Ludi Magister (lit. “Master of the Game), rose to address the small gathering. “It has been judged that the Goth slave Barbara is guilt of parricidium as defined by the Lex Pompeia, and therefore is subject to the Poena Cullei, which shall be inflicted una hora et altera (one hour and another). This shortening is so that she may survive to suffer the rest of her sentence. The punishment will commence with a beating cum virgis sanguinis (lit. bloody rods. This could mean rods with red color added, or with bloodstains from previous use, or the blood drawn by them).”
Optio Mogurix directed three of his men to each grab a rod. He then had them walk slowly in a tight circle around the bound and exposed girl. The men slashed the thin, whippy rods through the air as preliminary threats. Barbara turned her head back and forth, trying to follow and anticipate the first blow. Sweat again broke out on her skin as intense fear welled up.

* The blood taboo is an ancient and complicated matter. Cultural anthropologists have found it widespread in very old, isolated societies. At its heart is the origin of all laws against hurting or killing fellows of the tribe. Interestingly, some cultures carried it so far as to forbid the shedding of the blood of a virgin by first intercourse. In these cases, the girl was ritually deflowered by a member of the neighboring tribe to avoid her new husband breaking the taboo (or something else).

Grimm's Deutsche Rechtsalterthümer mentions two cases in which this exact penalty was inflicted, one in Cassel in I576, and the other in Saxony in I734; but he points out that these late incidents are simply enforcements, as far as was feasible, of the penalty prescribed in the Institutiones Justiniani (Institutes of Justinian), the old, lapsed Byzantine form of Poena Cullei. The magistrates there probably picked up the description from the Etymologiae ("Origins"), an etymological encyclopedia compiled by Isidore of Seville after 600 AD and widely known in the Middle Ages.

Last edited:
Well I am holy and pure.;)
giphy.webp

Mogurix gestured to one of his men. The soldier slashed his rod down across Barb's back. She let out a high-pitch cry of pain, and a red welt appeared almost immediately, running diagonally from her left shoulder blade down toward her right hip.
Even as the girl looked behind to that man, the Optio signaled another to strike. This one caught her right forearm with a punishing slash. Screaming, Barb just had the time to look at his new fire of pain when the third man laid his thin rod on her left flank.
For the forty minutes, the men delivered slow but steady blows to her body. Barbara struggled with fear, pain, and disorientation. She tried to anticipate and prepared for the next slash. However, three men circling and hitting at different places left her confused and terrified. She squealed and twisted, trying fruitlessly to avoid the lashes of pain. As the half-hour mark passed, the girl responded less. The pain, struggle, and uncertainty had worn down her resistance. She moved less and less and emitted weaker cries. At the end, she just flinched in agony at each new stripe and groaned softly.
When the men finally paused, the onlookers saw angry red welts marking most of the girl’s back, sides, arms, and waist. Several red lines even crossed her full, soft breasts.

The Centurion looked to Piso for the next command. The Quaestor took his time, relishing his role as head magistrate and self-appointed elegantiae arbiter (judge of elegance) for the proceedings. He deliberated cast his gaze to each of the reclining aristocrats to see their state of excitement. He was delighted with the returned looks of approval.
After a suitable dramatic pause, Lucius knew it was time to increase the intensity. He ordered, "lupus caput (the wolf’s head).”

A part of the punishment from its earliest days had been a tight covering placed over the criminal's head and tightly tied at the neck. It was sometimes referred to as lupus vellus (wolf’s pelt) or sometimes as wolf’s head. An actual mask/hood made of the face of a wolf would undoubtedly have been most rare. Therefore, most scholars believe the hood was made of a wolf's pelt (or even another animal's) but was called a wolf's head.
There were several reasons for this particular hood. First, a tight, thick hide covering would cut the prisoner off from sight and sound, isolating them in an unseen world of pain. Second, it was intended to make breathing difficult. This would not only add to the parricide’s suffering but also increase their terror. The other reasons are partially obscured in the mists of antiquity and have been the subject of much speculation. Many have noted that the explicit inclusion of a wolf gives the whole procedure the look of a religious ritual. The parricide had committed a heinous offense against the gods. Their action compromised the purity of the entire tribe. Such befouling required some kind of religious ritual to cleanse the people of iniquity. The mask cut the evil-doer off from the community, to isolating and quarantining their evil so as not to pollute the other citizens. Garbing them as a wolf, a wild animal, removed their humanity and expelled them from the tribe as irredeemably evil.

OMG I’m breathless! I have been so looking forward to this part. The treatment by the red rods was so believable and I felt every crack.
Not simply erotic, but informative too, very enjoyable indeed, thank you.

And the sack is next! What animals are chosen, I wonder? I can’t remember if they were prescribed at this point in Roman history but staying off wiki so you can tell me in a much more interesting manner.

Barbaria1 - hope you enjoyed receiving that, still jealous! ;)

Another well written and interesting chapter, PrPr. I suspect that having Barb as an muse helps you to reach new heights when thinking of painful and humiliating punishments for the heroines of your stories.
Barbara is indeed a most 'stimulating' muse!

my vision of lupus vellus is exaggeratedly extreme (... every now and then I express myself ... approximately)
And I thought the one you did of old slave raping her was good! The sheer motion and depth you achieve with with what only looks like a few brushstrokes* is vivid and quite amazing!

*noting probably in reality requires much layering, shading. And highlighting!

And I thought the one you did of old slave raping her was good! The sheer motion and depth you achieve with with what only looks like a few brushstrokes* is vivid and quite amazing!

*noting probably in reality requires much layering, shading. And highlighting!
to speed up I do not do shading: it is faster for me to make the lights on a uniform dark background (or made up of several colors)

Mogurix gestured to one of his men. The soldier slashed his rod down across Barb's back. She let out a high-pitch cry of pain, and a red welt appeared almost immediately, running diagonally from her left shoulder blade down toward her right hip.
Even as the girl looked behind to that man, the Optio signaled another to strike. This one caught her right forearm with a punishing slash. Screaming, Barb just had the time to look at his new fire of pain when the third man laid his thin rod on her left flank.
For the forty minutes, the men delivered slow but steady blows to her body. Barbara struggled with fear, pain, and disorientation. She tried to anticipate and prepared for the next slash. However, three men circling and hitting at different places left her confused and terrified. She squealed and twisted, trying fruitlessly to avoid the lashes of pain. As the half-hour mark passed, the girl responded less. The pain, struggle, and uncertainty had worn down her resistance. She moved less and less and emitted weaker cries. At the end, she just flinched in agony at each new stripe and groaned softly.
When the men finally paused, the onlookers saw angry red welts marking most of the girl’s back, sides, arms, and waist. Several red lines even crossed her full, soft breasts.

The Centurion looked to Piso for the next command. The Quaestor took his time, relishing his role as head magistrate and self-appointed elegantiae arbiter (judge of elegance) for the proceedings. He deliberated cast his gaze to each of the reclining aristocrats to see their state of excitement. He was delighted with the returned looks of approval.
After a suitable dramatic pause, Lucius knew it was time to increase the intensity. He ordered, "lupus caput (the wolf’s head).”

A part of the punishment from its earliest days had been a tight covering placed over the criminal's head and tightly tied at the neck. It was sometimes referred to as lupus vellus (wolf’s pelt) or sometimes as wolf’s head. An actual mask/hood made of the face of a wolf would undoubtedly have been most rare. Therefore, most scholars believe the hood was made of a wolf's pelt (or even another animal's) but was called a wolf's head.
There were several reasons for this particular hood. First, a tight, thick hide covering would cut the prisoner off from sight and sound, isolating them in an unseen world of pain. Second, it was intended to make breathing difficult. This would not only add to the parricide’s suffering but also increase their terror. The other reasons are partially obscured in the mists of antiquity and have been the subject of much speculation. Many have noted that the explicit inclusion of a wolf gives the whole procedure the look of a religious ritual. The parricide had committed a heinous offense against the gods. Their action compromised the purity of the entire tribe. Such befouling required some kind of religious ritual to cleanse the people of iniquity. The mask cut the evil-doer off from the community, to isolating and quarantining their evil so as not to pollute the other citizens. Garbing them as a wolf, a wild animal, removed their humanity and expelled them from the tribe as irredeemably evil.
The detail and accuracy is astounding PrPr - it's adds to the sensuality of the whole narrative (is it wrong that we find poor Goth Barb bring beaten with rods sensual?) ...

my vision of lupus vellus is exaggeratedly extreme (... every now and then I express myself ... approximately)
That I’d wager is worthy of inclusion in a museum. Stunning stuff! The composition, the technical mastery, the use of coloring and lighting. Wow.

Cynocephaloi, 'dog-heads', are strangely widespread in legends recorded from ancient Egypt onwards through much of Europe and Asia, and were certainly known in the Roman Empire. I wonder if the 'caput lupi' punishment was suggested by such stories, cf the 're-enactments' of Pasiphae's penetration by the bull?

Back
Top Bottom