Thread for finding members with Languages other than English

Go to CruxDreams.com
J'écris de nombreuses histoires en français. C'est frustrant de les traduire.
Je cherche des sites en français ou échange d'histoires par mail.
Cordialement
Jérôme
Okay, I'll start one called 'histoires et bavardage en français',
just you and me to begin with and we can identify and invite French speakers into it -
anyone want to join? quelqu'un veut rejoindre?
Moi aussi, je suis Français et je préfère aussi lire des histoires dans ma langue maternelle

Moi aussi, je suis Français et je préfère aussi lire des histoires dans ma langue maternelle
And me too, I'm french of course , but I think that to have a hidden little place where we would be only between us (french people) is not appropriated ...
The confrontation with another cultures is always better and dont tell me that "... lire des histoires dans ma langue maternelle...)
is preferring , I dont think so !
Since I'm here, I "fighted" to show to this majority of english people that I was existing and I'm not too bad do well ; more, they generally like in viewing that French culture was "sometimes":rolleyes: better or, at least, at the same level than english culture !
Believe me, it was not always easy but, currently, I can say that I'm admitted "dans la cour des grands" ( into the big league ) !
Then, make some efforts and work your english ...

Your Messaline ... p1sCh9h.gif gif

And me too, I'm french of course , but I think that to have a hidden little place where we would be only between us (french people) is not appropriated ...
The confrontation with another cultures is always better and dont tell me that "... lire des histoires dans ma langue maternelle...)
Since I'm here, I "fighted" to show to this majority of english people that I was existing and I'm not too bad do well ; more, they generally like in viewing that French culture was "sometimes":rolleyes: better or, at least, at the same level than english culture !
Believe me, it was not always easy but, currently, I can say that I'm admitted "dans la cour des grands" ( into the big league ) !

Your Messaline ... View attachment 1230152 gif
You're indeed a Treasure of Crux Forums, Messaline, and an example to us all! :bdsm-heart:

In fairness, I think préfèrer has a slightly different weight in French than 'prefer' in English? At any rate, on qui préfère 'likes' to read stories in French, but that doesn't mean they won't read, or even write, stories in English. Anyway, I've invited BarbaraMoi and Cordelien into 'Histoires et bavardage', maybe they can liven up that chat - while still enjoying themselves in the English threads!

strange to see that there are discussions about different gaelic dialects and I found only one message asking for an Italian chat...
And we've got one, and you've got an invito :D

We haven't got a Gaelic chat - ach is dòcha ;)

Y a-t-il des français sur le site ?​

Bonjour. Il y a le traducteur, bien sûr mais ce serait tellement plus sympa, rapide, de pouvoir échanger dans la langue de Molière. Peut-on créer une communauté de francophones ? Qui jacte françouse ? :)
Bonjour
Oui moi. J'ai des scénarios en français. Des créations originales, des traductions ou des adaptations.

You're indeed a Treasure of Crux Forums, Messaline, and an example to us all! :bdsm-heart:

In fairness, I think préfèrer has a slightly different weight in French than 'prefer' in English? At any rate, on qui préfère 'likes' to read stories in French, but that doesn't mean they won't read, or even write, stories in English. Anyway, I've invited BarbaraMoi and Cordelien into 'Histoires et bavardage', maybe they can liven up that chat - while still enjoying themselves in the English threads!

And we've got one, and you've got an invito :D

We haven't got a Gaelic chat - ach is dòcha ;)
Do you think one could find enough Gaelic (Scottish or Irish--supposedly distinct) speakers to make that possible?
Did Maxwell speak Scottish Gaelic?

Y a-t-il des français sur le site ?​

Bonjour. Il y a le traducteur, bien sûr mais ce serait tellement plus sympa, rapide, de pouvoir échanger dans la langue de Molière. Peut-on créer une communauté de francophones ? Qui jacte françouse ? :)
Alors comme çà Molière "jactais françouse" ? :dogpile:

Je suis française mais je ne veux pas m'enfermer dans un gettho ; j'explique pourquoi au #83 de ce thread ...

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is the language aspect (I always try to read Markus' original Italian captions when they are available--for one thing they have vocabulary one doesn't often find elsewhere).
I understand one's wanting to practice English, and I agree, but it is also true that reading another language is a lot easier than speaking or writing, and if someone has a story in French I would try to read it.
As far as "English culture" goes, I don't think Australians or Americans or Canadians or Scots or Irish would agree that there is one "English" culture, anymore than the French would agree that Quebecois is "French culture", and Walloons probably don't want to be assimilated into high French. Supposedly Germans also have problems with Swiss or even Austrian German, and Spaniards notice differences in Latin American countries. (I have a book, probably out-dated now, of Spanish idiomatic usage in various South American countries, so one won't say the wrong thing--I am always terrified of that when I try to speak some other language: in America, there is a lot of opportunity to speak Spanish.)
A guy I knew years ago told a story of traveling with a group to Europe. In France one member was a godsend--spoke fluently, got the group through it. Then they got to Germany. It was overcast, in the winter. "Es wird wohl auf uns scheissen", he said, instead of schneien (snow). Mothers were ushering their children away.

Do you think one could find enough Gaelic (Scottish or Irish--supposedly distinct) speakers to make that possible?
PrPr? He had a pretty good try, not just using Google, he got the basic idea of the verb-first sentence structure. But Maxwell in Lowland Adventure was quite out of his depth. I've not encountered any fluent Gaelic or Gaeilge speakers here - not that I'd claim to be myself, but can manage with reading and writing. It's probably two centuries since any of my ancestors spoke the language from childhood. Lallans, Lowland Scots, is really my Scottish language.

PrPr? He had a pretty good try, not just using Google, he got the basic idea of the verb-first sentence structure. But Maxwell in Lowland Adventure was quite out of his depth. I've not encountered any fluent Gaelic or Gaeilge speakers here - not that I'd claim to be myself, but can manage with reading and writing. It's probably two centuries since any of my ancestors spoke the language from childhood. Lallans, Lowland Scots, is really my Scottish language.
According to the 2011 census, 57,375 people speak Scots Gaelic, 1.1% of the entire population of Scotland. Most of these are in the Outer Hebrides and Skye. None speak it as theor only language. All of them speak Highlands dialects, most Lowland dialects became extinct over a hundred years ago. But, you could be successful in starting a Gaelic meeting room, there is renewed interest in the language and it is offered as a high school course...in Nova Scotia, Canada.

I actually have a book on Scottish Gaelic--I bought it thinking it was Irish Gaelic. I also have some CD's somewhere--not sure if they were Irish or Scots. Anyway, both have seen as much use as my books on Navajo. How does one say "lazy ass" in Scots Gaelic.

(15,375 EXACTLY. Talk about diligence. Of course, someone could have died during the census, and there is a lag in additions because babies don't speak anything.)

When the modern Gaels finally admit that the Arabic alphabet is a well honed and phonetic tool, and spell the Gaelic language in a more user friendly way, then I'll pay attention to Gaelic.

Until then, the 'modern Gaels' can go to hell in their unwieldy self-created language basket.

And I am a Gael going back many generations.

When the modern Gaels finally admit that the Arabic alphabet is a well honed and phonetic tool, and spell the Gaelic language in a more user friendly way, then I'll pay attention to Gaelic.

Until then, the 'modern Gaels' can go to hell in their unwieldy self-created language basket.

And I am a Gael going back many generations.
Actually, it's a much more consistent spelling-system than English. As in English, combinations of letters are used to represent specific sounds that the Roman alphabet doesn't cater for - in particular, the distinction between 'broad' (velar) and 'slender' (palatal) consonants, and (again like English, and French) there are some letters still used that are silent in the modern language (but help to distinguish words from others that are now pronounced the same, homophones*). But, unlike in English, they're consistent in the way those groups of letters are used. But Arabic mightn't be a bad idea :)

*not gay mobiles :p
According to the 2011 census, 57,375 people speak Scots Gaelic, 1.1% of the entire population of Scotland. Most of these are in the Outer Hebrides and Skye. None speak it as theor only language. All of them speak Highlands dialects, most Lowland dialects became extinct over a hundred years ago. But, you could be successful in starting a Gaelic meeting room, there is renewed interest in the language and it is offered as a high school course...in Nova Scotia, Canada.
I actually have a book on Scottish Gaelic--I bought it thinking it was Irish Gaelic. I also have some CD's somewhere--not sure if they were Irish or Scots. Anyway, both have seen as much use as my books on Navajo. How does one say "lazy ass" in Scots Gaelic.

(15,375 EXACTLY. Talk about diligence. Of course, someone could have died during the census, and there is a lag in additions because babies don't speak anything.)
It's always difficult to get reliable data, but I think that figure is a fair reflection of the number of people who can and do use Gaelic on a regular basis. In this year's census, there were rather more detailed questions, distinguishing (self-reported) levels of competence in listening, speaking, reading and writing - and similar questions for Scots (Lallans).

Last edited:
Maybe you can make a list with all the groups exist

for instance

German
Greek
Italian
etc

so the newcomers will know their options
Good point -
German, French, Spanish, Italian all fairly active -
Greek, Portuguese, Russian more or less dormant,
but anyone joining any of them would at least find other speakers of their language.

I am certainly not oblivious or indifferent to the main event here, but I did notice that it occurs in a European-style garden: stucco walls, apparently well-trimmed greenery. But I don't see any flowers. Is it late in the season, or are grasses and shrubs the dominant paradigm?

I am certainly not oblivious or indifferent to the main event here, but I did notice that it occurs in a European-style garden: stucco walls, apparently well-trimmed greenery. But I don't see any flowers. Is it late in the season, or are grasses and shrubs the dominant paradigm?
I think she's outside a property - there's a number 2 on the pillar by the gate, like it's the entrance to the garden of a fine house. So the foliage is of bushes or trees, alongside the road, or overhanging it. Typical, I think, of the wealthier suburbs of French towns, with plenty of shade and privacy for nude cyclists, crucifixions, etc.

Back
Top Bottom