What to do about runaway slaves (besides the obvious!)

Go to CruxDreams.com
My philosophy is that Crucifixion is only used if required after months of torture....
To put on a good performance on the cross requires months of training and toughening up, like preparing an Olympic gymnast! :pesas:

Hmm... besides the financial cost, the problem of making a big fuss is that sometimes you still turn up empty-handed, which just draws attention to the successful escape. Do you have any plans for such an eventuality?

Collective punishment, huh? It may well be quite effective in having your slaves try and prevent any escape attempts. What would you do if a would-be escapee was handed over before they got away?

A long-lasting example, huh? That should hopefully mean it doesn't need doing often. And very detailed. (Although I am quite skeptical a slave that had gone through that lasted 15 weeks at harsh labour...)

Yes. And of course, on the other side you would not dream of escaping, right? (Well, perhaps unless you were treated too kindly...)
Apologies I don’t know how to break your quote into fragments, my tech slave is assisting my torturers with enquirers over the “autocorrect “ function.

The losses due to a slave rebellion are worse. It is worth pursuing the recalcitrant slave but if one does slip through I will proceed with the collective punishment because I run my slaves under fear and pain. And crucifixion doesn’t change this.

————————

Ah if an escapee were handed over before it got away it’s snitch would be rewarded with extra rations and daily whipping allocations suspended for the duration of the escapee’s torture.

the escapee would face it’s months torture but in my mercy without mutilation and a shorter whip count. No collective punishment and extra rations for all to reinforce why reporting escapees before they escape is of benefit to all.

————————

Well, I tell my slaves the wretch suffers longer, you’re right, longevity is low, but the collective despair and fear is what really matters to me. The severe torture is particularly enjoyable as I live vicariously through their pathetic suffering.

————————

If I was one of my slaves and saw this I’d be sorely tempted to escape (in my chains so it is hopeless) aiming to be caught and enjoying the sweet suffering.

The losses due to a slave rebellion are worse. It is worth pursuing the recalcitrant slave but if one does slip through I will proceed with the collective punishment because I run my slaves under fear and pain.
Yes - when you offer them no real hope, then they certainly can't be allowed to hope of escaping you. You could also perhaps lie about the slave being killed, even show a mutilated body... but such deception can backfire.

Ah if an escapee were handed over before it got away it’s snitch would be rewarded with extra rations and daily whipping allocations suspended for the duration of the escapee’s torture.

the escapee would face it’s months torture but in my mercy without mutilation and a shorter whip count. No collective punishment and extra rations for all to reinforce why reporting escapees before they escape is of benefit to all.
Hmm... how do you tell real planned escapees form ones your slaves just report for their own gain? After all, both will deny it under torture...
Well, I tell my slaves the wretch suffers longer, you’re right, longevity is low, but the collective despair and fear is what really matters to me. The severe torture is particularly enjoyable as I live vicariously through their pathetic suffering.
Such a twisted master... rather than escape, I wonder if you should fear mass rebellion!

If I was one of my slaves and saw this I’d be sorely tempted to escape (in my chains so it is hopeless) aiming to be caught and enjoying the sweet suffering.
Ugh... if I had a slave of that type, I'd probably get rid of them. (Or perhaps make a deal... but is that appropriate with slaves?)

Highlight the bit you want to reply to, a 'reply' button will appear, just click on that.
Or if you want to reply to several parts, highlight each one and click quote. Then, when your finished gathering those, go to a new post and you will see "Insert quotes". Click that and the quotes will appear it will ask if you want to insert them. If you do, they appear in your post, ready for comments.

B) They must be cruelly tortured over a long time frame, say at least a month, in public so the other slaves can see. All slaves would also be given an additional 30 lashes above their daily allotment for allowing the escape to occur. All shackles and fetters would be checked thoroughly for defect and shortened painfully for the next 6 weeks duration.
Collective punishment of slaves in Ancient Rome was common. One quote:
The worst place a slave could be was to work in the silver mines. There, in three feet of space between ceiling and floor, they toiled 10 hours a day, breathing in the dust. There were no roof supports, so fatalities were common. At night, they slept in chains bound to other slaves. If one slave managed to escape, the others were put to death for allowing it to happen.
The worst crime that a slave could commit (naturally) was to murder the master. In this case, the law required that every slave in the household would be put to death. There are multiple documented cases of over a dozen, in one case over 40 slaves being executed for this crime.

Yes - when you offer them no real hope, then they certainly can't be allowed to hope of escaping you. You could also perhaps lie about the slave being killed, even show a mutilated body... but such deception can backfire.

This is why they’re kept in chains, escape is more challenging that way...
Hmm... how do you tell real planned escapees form ones your slaves just report for their own gain? After all, both will deny it under torture...
Well that’s just more entertaining for everyone. Perhaps I should give accusers trial by fire to test their truth using hot coals? Good idea!
Such a twisted master... rather than escape, I wonder if you should fear mass rebellion!
Oh definitely twisted. Keep them under the lash and dependent on their kind cruel master and they will accept their lot
Ugh... if I had a slave of that type, I'd probably get rid of them. (Or perhaps make a deal... but is that appropriate with slaves?)
Perhaps if I just begged to be tortured for your entertainment you’d take pity on me?

This is why they’re kept in chains, escape is more challenging that way...
Challenging, but not impossible...

Well that’s just more entertaining for everyone. Perhaps I should give accusers trial by fire to test their truth using hot coals? Good idea!
Well, perhaps a good idea if torture got you the truth instead of just what they want you to hear. Also, kind of kills the positive incentives you were offering for reporting.

Oh definitely twisted. Keep them under the lash and dependent on their kind cruel master and they will accept their lot
Or rise up and kill you horribly/die trying.

Perhaps if I just begged to be tortured for your entertainment you’d take pity on me?
Pity, yes - perhaps the pity of a quick death instead of selling you to the mines.

As far as I’m concerned, it is that the punishment is proportional, i.e. the captured runaways have to walk the entire way back. As slaves, they are of course used to going barefoot, so perhaps this can be enhanced by chains. Once back, they receive - publicly - one lash on the bare back per mile they got away, and so on. This will instill a sense of futility, discouraging further runaways (the farther they get, the worse it is for them in the long run). Which is also why it is important that they be caught and returned.

As far as I’m concerned, it is that the punishment is proportional, i.e. the captured runaways have to walk the entire way back. As slaves, they are of course used to going barefoot, so perhaps this can be enhanced by chains. Once back, they receive - publicly - one lash on the bare back per mile they got away, and so on. This will instill a sense of futility, discouraging further runaways (the farther they get, the worse it is for them in the long run). Which is also why it is important that they be caught and returned.
Once per mile? My slaves get whipped more often than that on the way to market...

In my universe such leniency promotes slackness amongst the slaves. The Devil finds work for idle hands, your slaves will rebel before mine because they know and fear my cruelty born of my frustration....

Once per mile? My slaves get whipped more often than that on the way to market...

In my universe such leniency promotes slackness amongst the slaves. The Devil finds work for idle hands, your slaves will rebel before mine because they know and fear my cruelty born of my frustration....
Multiplier can be anything you find reasonable. As long as it is proportional. Perhaps a good idea to double the multiplier for every offense.

Your slaves probably wouldn’t like my ideas on “reasonable modifiers” to this formula!

still, I’m totally on board with the concept of putting them in heavy chains and increasing their whip count by distance. As for modifiers, the logarithmic scale has some appeal!

spoilsport, you’re no fun, at least you could send me to the mines... but no, with this group it’s always crucify, crucify , crucify! Hardly any room for those of us who really want to savour their own torture :( :( ;) ;) ;)
Well, if it helps, I doubt I'd crucify you - you'd probably enjoy it far too much.

Yes - not always a garuntee, though. And there are those who don't get far, but do evade long - perhaps distance multiplied by time?

Or yours will rebel first because it's their only hope. Unless there's another one you haven't mentioned?

spoilsport, you’re no fun, at least you could send me to the mines... but no, with this group it’s always crucify, crucify , crucify! Hardly any room for those of us who really want to savour their own torture :( :( ;) ;) ;)
Savouring your own torture!?:confused:
Someone should explain the esteemed member the purpose and point of torture!:icon_tfno:
And afterwards : crucify!:devil:

Back
Top Bottom