German and Austrian Culture and Words ( to run away but also having fun with it before )

Go to CruxDreams.com
I cannot tell you how much I hated during the last years to see unexpected war scenes coming out of nowhere in a peaceful European capital like in Paris or London.

This evening, this kind of terrorist suicide madness now for the first time in a German-speaking country, in Austria.

This evening I have had a little holiday from my job in a hotel and wanted to watch German TV at home but the program is partly delayed because of a terrorist attack in a city where I and probably you, too, really would not have expected it: In Wien / Vienna, capital of Austria.

I would rather have expected it anywhere in Germany but not in Vienna.
Austria is almost as neutral in every human conflict during the last 70 years as Switzerland or Liechtenstein could only be.
Why in this beautiful Vienna?

The first moving pictures from Austrian TV show the world how absurd this kind of terrorism is: In the background you hear gunshots from an automatic military assault rifle, you see people running in the center but on the "Stadt-Autobahn" on the right still hundreds of cars from people peacefully driving home from or towards the inner city, knowing not yet what is happening on the left part of the picture.

Only ten minutes later, dozens of cars with up to 50 heavily armed policemen and ambulances arriving at the same place and some 10 minutes more, the Austrian special forces are arriving.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_00h22m08s_005_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_00h47m02s_013_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_00h40m02s_012_.jpg

This was the last evening in Austria before the new Corona lockdown, so many people were on the streets and in the restaurants for the last time before the lockdown.

According to the first news, one gunman opened fire near the Jewish synagogue, the "Stadttempel", but especially shot into the windows of the restaurants on the other side of the street before he was shot dead by a policeman who was severly wounded himself by the gunman who additionally wore a belt with explosives on it.
Up to now at least 15 wounded persons in the restaurants, 7 of them severly hurt.
Shootings were reported from six places in this area of Vienna.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_00h22m55s_006_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_00h16m10s_004_.jpg

There were at least 2 terrorists - one dead, one still on the run - as the news reporters say and the government confirmed now.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_00h34m51s_010_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_00h02m29s_003_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_00h01m03s_001_.jpg

No one would ever have expected something like this in Vienna ...

Oh yes, we Germans are really good in adding English sounding words to our language with completely new meanings - or someone added these words in advertisings while using a bottle of whisky instead of a dictionary.
More examples in Germany:
1. "Beamer" (= video / data projector)
2. "Body Bag" (really a silly word or gag from an advertising campaign (?) for "Rucksack")
3. "Oldtimer" (= vintage / classic car, not an old man)
4. "Showmaster" (= host of a show)
5. "Evergreen" (= song or artist with an everlasting success)
6. "Mobbing" (= bullying)
7. "Casting Show" (= talent show)
8. "Slip" (= short pants)
etc. pp.
Thank you. I learn so much on this site. I am afraid my knowlege
of things European is quite lacking

Thank YOU! The best we can see in Europe right now is that there really is a feeling of common values and international understanding like never before in European history.
Since 1945, this is now the longest time without any war between the great powers of Europe in the whole European history and I hope this peaceful time will never end.
After such terrorist attacks like yesterday evening in Vienna, all European leaders are assuring each other their support against such terrorist madness and some are doing this at once in the language of the attacked nations, which is very friendly.

For example, the French President Emmanuel Macron wrote yesterday evening this in German language for the Austrians - and I have no doubt that it was really written by himself at once because there are two little mistakes in it which would have been remarked by every professional interpreter or translator:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_07h06m45s_002_.jpg

"We, the French, share the shock and sadness of the Austrians after an attack in Vienna. After France, it is a friendly country that is under attack. This is our Europe. Our enemies need to know who they are dealing with. We won't give in to anything."

Similar news from everywhere around the world in English:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.03_07h07m28s_003_.jpg

Attacks of such a mad kind will always unite the democracies of Europe more and more.

This evening, this kind of terrorist suicide madness now for the first time in a German-speaking country, in Austria.

Another quirk of the German language (at least in the media): When this happens in a country outside of Germany, everyone immediately speaks of organized terrorists. But if it happens in Germany, the media will call them "mentally confused lone perpetrator".

Mhm, in my opinion and up to now, the German media were not really right and not really wrong in the first news about these incidents, because when you remember this terrorist attack in Berlin ...

... it was very similar to this attack in France:

In both cases, these terrorist acts were claimed to be organized by the terroristic called "Islamic State" (or "ISIS" or "IS" or "ISIL" or "Daish"), but these two terrorists were single perpetrators, which could also have been influenced by the islamic terrorist propaganda without a clear proven order to do their crimes. There was the ISIS-"order" to use trucks in terrorist attacks in Europe, but it never became really clear that these two persons had the exact order to do exactly this crime.

Very different to these two crimes of mass murder were the attacks with several gunmen in Paris, which were prepared for a long time and which were the worst attacks by suicide terrorists in European history as far as I know. This was really a war attack in the midst of a peaceful and unprepared European society:

And terrible to say this, but it could have been much more worse because the attacks were planned to start at the "Stade de France" INSIDE the stadium at the same time when there was this friendship's soccer/ football game between France and Germany.
You cannot imagine what could have happened if the terrorists had been able to explode their suicide bomb vests inside the stadium during the game.
Both country's citizens from France and Germany, were the targets of the terrorists and there would have been no difference in the victims in this stadium.

But what scares me more is the - in my opinion - accurate and applicable islam-critical opinion by a very intelligent German muslim who left one of the most influential muslim organisations in Germany because they were not "European-peaceful" enough for him.
I would like to translate this German text into English but I do not have enough time for it right now. Maybe, I will do it later and I insert the link now for the interested people here. It is one of the most interesting texts I have ever read from a really honorable German muslim:

https://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/2020-10/samuel-paty-mord-islamismus-islam/komplettansicht

By the way, there are persons living in Germany during the last 5 decades who are so intelligent, unique and of a convincing controversial logic capability that you can hardly believe it. I will also insert one of such a person's texts about religion and the coronavirus after a short introduction of his person. I once have met this professor, Prof. Dr. Michael Wolffssohn, ...

... at a public lecture at a German university and he said in this lecture:

"I am used to be looked at my person by most people in Germany and Israel like being a 'black unicorn', because I am something that should not exist in the opinion of many, many persons because I am a Jewish-German patriot with the citizenships of Germany and Israel and I was for 30 years a professor for contemporary history and politics at the German military university of the German "Bundeswehr" in Munich. So, yes, I seem to be unique, but this German state is the best, most cosmopolitan and most peaceful Germany that ever existed and I will defend this German state as it was ever defending me during my lifetime being a Jew."

His opinion about the coronavirus and the mistakes of religions concerning this virus in an article in the leading newspaper of Switzerland:

Last edited:
But what scares me more is the - in my opinion - accurate and applicable islam-critical opinion by a very intelligent German muslim who left one of the most influential muslim organisations in Germany because they were not "European-peaceful" enough for him.
I would like to translate this German text into English but I do not have enough time for it right now. Maybe, I will do it later and I insert the link now for the interested people here. It is one of the most interesting texts I have ever read from a really honorable German muslim:

https://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/2020-10/samuel-paty-mord-islamismus-islam/komplettansicht

A rough translation - basically correcting those errors of Google Translate that butcher the meaning (i.e. Google insists on translating Verdrängung as repression, when it acutally means denial here).

It's an important article because due to the 'standpoint epistemiology' approach that dominates the discourse, the points he makes could otherwise not be raised.

---------------------------

"It does have something to do with us Muslims."

The murder of Samuel Paty should have been an occasion for Islamic associations to speak out.
Because there is an uncritical attitude towards violence among many Muslims.

A guest contribution by Murat Kayman

Murat Kayman is a lawyer and from 2014 to 2017 was the coordinator of the regional associations of the Islamic umbrella organization Turkish-Islamic Union of the Institute for Religion (Ditib).
After the affair surrounding the activity of imams in Germany, he resigned from his position.
In this guest post, which is based on a long blog entry, he takes a critical look at the lax attitude to violence expressed by many Muslim associations and Muslims after the attack on the Parisian teacher Samuel Paty. Kayman is a co-founder of the Alhambra Society, an association of Muslims who see themselves as Europeans, and a member of the podcast "Dauernörgler² [Perpetual Nagger].

The teacher Samuel Paty only got to be 47 years old. That is my age.
He had to die because he attempted to explain the importance of freedom of expression to his students by way of the example of Mohammed cartoons.

"Had to die" is a trivialization in view of the actual circumstances of the murder. We need to describe more clearly how he was killed, especially as Muslims.

Samuel Paty was not killed or stabbed. He was not strangled or shot. Muslim extremists have described the manner in which he was murdered as the "slaughter" of their victim in similar acts in the past. The perpetrators perform their deed while invoking God. It can be assumed that the murderer of Samuel Paty also wanted to give his motive and his act the meaning of religious retribution, or a divine punishment carried out in representation of God.

[note: The German word used here is specific towards the slaughter of animals in an abbattoir]

A teacher. Freedom of speech. "Slaughtered".

Because of this particular constellation, I watched and waited how Muslim communities and umbrella organizations in Germany would react to this assassination in Paris.

As a Muslim, one would hope that because of this specific situation, influential Muslim organizations at the federal level, such as the Turkish-Islamic Union of the Institute for Religion (Ditib), the Islamic Community Millî Görüş (IGMG), the Central Council of Muslims in Germany (ZMD) or the Islamic Council, would for once not have remained silent as they have done in so many other cases. After all, what is the value of claiming that one fulfills the characteristics of a religious community, asking to be recognized by the German state, if this claim is not confirmed in word and deed at the crucial moments of our coexistence?

But apart from a few sparse tweets or posts on Facebook, nothing could be read or heard. Even the little that was said followed a dramaturgy that now seems like a ritualized folklore of consternation. These explanations sounded almost annoyed.

It has been declared over and over again over the years that such acts have nothing to do with Islam!

At the end of the day, Islam means peace and Allah alone knows why people suddenly get the idea of cutting others' throats.
I can no longer stand hearing this publicly reproduced ignorant fatalism of the Muslim organizations.

There would be a lot to talk about after such an attack. And many questions. Whether there could be a link between such an act of murder and the Islamic sacrificial rite. The annual festival of sacrifice is touted as a fulfillment of duty and a blessing. Hardly anyone questions this or demands that the slaughter be perceived as a warning reminder of the human potential for violence; as breaking a taboo, namely the killing of a being created by God, which is to remind of the presumptuousness of man and demand humility from him.

Instead, the act of killing, specifically of slaughtering a being helplessly surrendered to humans by means of a throat cut, becomes normalized as an expression of the dominance of the superior over the inferior - the one perhaps unworthy of life?

A dominance that is predictably repeated as a sequence of events in the extremist murders described at the beginning.

The denialism of the associations
In Friday sermons it's repeated endlessly that Islam means peace.
But there are structural problems in the religious everyday life of Muslims, in the associations and communities down to the lowest level, and those who pretend to represent us Muslims and like to present themselves as "large associations" are an important part of these problems, with their strategy of denial. It's about a past life, about patterns of thought and action that create a climate of devaluation and hierarchization, from the umbrella organizations to the communities.

Conditions prevail in which the individual with his or her individual behavior always subordinates himself to a collective acceptance and assures himself of a non-contradicting acceptance and approval by the religious community.
All religions, including Islam, have a potential for peace and a potential for violence. What the religious communities exemplify and pass on as a religiously conformist attitude significantly shapes the question of the direction in which young Muslims in particular are developing.

So when the Muslim association representatives point out, disinterested and frustrated by even having to deal with it, that none of this has anything to do with Islam, we have to counter them:

It has something to do with us Muslims. The violence perpetrated by Muslims has a great deal to do with what Muslims tolerate as acceptable in their communities, what they support, what they do not take as an occasion to object, what even promotes a common identity and what strengthens the feeling of belonging. Because the murderer of Samuel Paty will also have claimed to act as a "good Muslim". The Muslim organizations owe us Muslims and society as a whole an answer to the question why he did not experience his act as a contradiction to this claim.

An uncritical attitude towards violence
In doing so, I cannot turn a blind eye to what we in our Muslim communities acquiesce to without questioning, and accept as recurring patterns of behavior. The point is not that violence is expressly advocated, but there is indeed an uncritical attitude towards violence and a militancy of thought and belief among Muslims that are no longer questioned and are not perceived as contradicting Islam.

In our Muslim communities, violence too often has a place that is accepted as social normality.
In raising children, in the relationship between men and women or as a model of collective, political or identitarian conflicts.
In religious education, for example, the idea of authority and subordination is still widespread, which in case of doubt can also go hand in hand with corporal punishment - physical domination over the physically inferior child is seen as legitimate.
Or if Muslim women who experience emotional or physical violence in marriage seek advice from Muslim communities and associations, it is not uncommon for them to be advised to be patient and to persevere. It is not the violence of the man that counts as religious misconduct or social stigma, but rather the status of a divorced woman.

Relativization of the right to life
In the Muslim umbrella organizations there is a widespread view that their communities are fortresses of Islam in an anti-Muslim Europe; that the wagens need to be circled and well-fortified to defend decency and morality in an ethically depraved society that has indulged in hedonism, promiscuity, homosexuality and, in general, vice.
Because the outside world is so harmful, internal cohesion is particularly important.
The rhetoric therefore often includes reminiscences of the Battle of Uhud in 625. It is considered a metaphorical warning against neglect and recklessness. In this historic battle, the Muslim fighters in Medina were on the verge of defeating their attackers. However, the Muslim archers, driven by the prospect of rich booty, left a strategically important hill and thus lost the victory they believed to be certain. The association officials never tire of conjuring up the image of the Uhud archers when they want to close their own ranks and call for unconditional loyalty.

If such a militarized language is cultivated and historical battles are cited to demonstrate that one will soon be victorious in Germany too, then one should not be surprised that in local mosque communities it is not at all perceived as an educational failure, when toddlers in uniforms and toy rifles take part in re-enactments of historical wars and death to the applause of their enthusiastic parents.

To this day, the understanding of success and power is interwoven with the conquest of former Muslim-ruled areas or symbolic buildings. The al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem fulfills a special function. Their "liberation", which is regularly called for, is directed against Jews who, within the framework of anti-Semitic stereotypes, are imagined as an overpowering enemy and schemer.

The imagination of religious supremacy
The distribution of roles in the Middle East conflict has now assumed a quasi-religious substitute function: the attitude towards this conflict is considered proof of one's own piety. As a "good Muslim" it is very clear what the answer to the crucial question of collective Muslim identity has to be ... "How do you feel about Israel?". Anti-Semitism among Muslims paves the way to the perception and ultimately also to the legitimation of violence as a reaction to injustice suffered. Antisemitism is the framework in which the perception of historical violence against Muslims is cast - and thus as it serves as moral excuse for breaking a religious taboo: killing another person.

It is part of the essence of every religion that it has exclusivist traits. We only find our own narrative of God and creation more believable than that of many other alternative narratives because we grew up with it. However, every religion also contains the provocation of irrationality for its followers. Ideally, these breaking points ensure that the claim to truth of onew's own religion always contains the seed of doubt. Our faith challenges us not only to assert our own claim to truth, but to prove it for everyone through good deeds.

Annihilation instead of acceptance
Someone who exercises violence against others does not want to provide this indirect proof of his beliefs. He wants to avoid the challenge of believing in a contradicting world, instead choosing to annihilate the other. A truly believing person, however, can never imagine himself in possession of a complete truth - and thus in a state of perfection. Perfection is a divine, not a human, attribute.

A Muslim who surrenders himself only to God in daily prayer and only bows down to him, in prayer almost physically, should not really expect any other person to submit to the beliefs and opinions of a Muslim.

But those who believe in categories of supremacy and submission are prone to devaluing other people. Those who take such a path can at some point come to the conviction that the value of a human life depends on a person having the right thoughts and opinions.

As Muslims, we must therefore stop classifying other ways of life and beliefs in a ranking of credibility or value. We must stop condoning narratives of devaluation and exclusion in our communities. We must stop perceiving racism, anti-Semitism and misogyny as acceptable attitudes, even as characteristics of a "normal" or "good" Muslim that serve to create collective identities for us.

Islam is an idea of what God and what the purpose of His creation may be. We Muslims decide every day how we live this idea and thus also whether it will lead us to violence or to peace.

Mhm, in my opinion and up to now, the German media were not really right and not really wrong in the first news about these incidents, because when you remember this terrorist attack in Berlin ...

... it was very similar to this attack in France:

In both cases, these terrorist acts were claimed to be organized by the terroristic called "Islamic State" (or "ISIS" or "IS" or "ISIL" or "Daish"), but these two terrorists were single perpetrators, which could also have been influenced by the islamic terrorist propaganda without a clear proven order to do their crimes. There was the ISIS-"order" to use trucks in terrorist attacks in Europe, but it never became really clear that these two persons had the exact order to do exactly this crime.

I completely agree with you and I think my previous post was a litte ambiguous. What I wanted to say is, that the German media is generally very careful when reporting about an attack like this. Even if the evidence is clear, they do not want to report that the killers had a religious motive too soon (except for the Bild newspaper maybe, but I cannot take them seriously).

For example: I remember that after the 2016 Würzburg train attack, several German news stations reported that the killer had been only a mentally challenged person on a rampage, while many of the witnesses claimed he had shouted "Allah is great" while he slashed the train passangers with his axe. And it came out later, that he had gotten his instructions from an IS member.

Taking that into consideration, I was rather surprised yesterday that everyone was immediately reporting about a religious terrorist attack merely minutes after it happened.

But just to make this clear: I don't care if someone screams "Allah is great" or sings "Ave Maria" while killing people. Both is equally bad.

Everything you wrote is correct and I must also say that there is a very strange behaviour within the left(ist) political spectrum in Germany not to criticize too much "islam" because this could be seen as "racism" and it was a bit funny to see that especially one of the - as very left regarded - young politicians in Germany was criticizing exactly this behaviour:

In the case of Vienna, there were very soon reports about an explosives belt (or a dummy of it) of the killed attacker who was left lying dead until military experts for defusing bombs arrived at the scene and I think this made it very clear that this could be regarded as a religious terrorist attack because there are not so many known possibilities who might be using such suicide belts during terrorist attacks in the last decade, I think ...

By the way, sometimes, there is so much coincidence and "good luck" happening against some bad or evil persons that one could almost find a bit of consolation in it - or as Germans say:
There in fact is sometimes "Glück im Unglück" (= "blessing in disguise").

For example, the German-Bavarian "SEK"-special police forces who shot the terrorist of the Würzburg train attack in 2016, were there by pure coincindence near the place where the train made an emergency stop. It was reported in 2016 that these special police forces there had a planned police training of a manhunt against an imagined dangerous armed criminal in a forest, only 500 meters away, which suddenly turned into reality. This was almost unbelievable.

On 13th november 2015, at least one of three prepared suicide bombers tried to get into the stadium of the football / soccer game of friendship between France and Germany in order to cause chaos and panic inside and the other terrorists wanted to kill as many persons as possible when the spectators were expected to flee to the outside.
But the terrorists were prevented to get inside by security guards behind the security fence and the terrorists detonated some minutes later their suicide belts, killing one bystander instead of hundreds.
One shocked French-African man later showed reporters his smartphone, which he held at his head in order to call the police, when was hit by a bullet or a splinter from one of the explosions. It saved his live, he later had only a blue eye from the impact and a few jounalists later said, there might have been some "supernatural angels" around this stadium on that evening, if you take into account all the terrible possibilities that might have happened instead.
In spite of the many innocent victims of this terrible evening in other parts of Paris, the occurrences around the "Stade de France" were also almost unbelievable.

By the way, if anyone here from outside Europe is interested in the German view on the presidential elections in the USA, this interview may be of interest for you because most members of most big political German parties would agree with every word this man is saying here:

And now imagine, this man is a conservative member of the "right-wing" governing party of Chancellor Angela Merkel, similar in its German-European policy on economy and international politics to the "GOP" in the USA as it probably was there 30 years ago.
He is a member of the German party with the most positive and friendliest attitude towards the USA in Germany. :eek:

Better do not imagine what members of left-orientated German parties would say when being asked the same questions by Christiane Amanpour ... :facepalm:

Well this is actually neither German nor Austrian.

But sometimes a closely related language will invent a word that's even better than perfect...

I'm lobbying to import "knuffelcontact" into the German vocabulary ;)

View attachment 920327

Mhm, what "kinds of activity" exactly are there all included in "knuffelcontact"? :eek:
This Belgian announcement with the "knuffelcontact" seems to have been made its way to the German satirical show "ZDF heute-show" a few hours ago, but I got the impression, they understood more than I did in this expression, which was there already used as a new German "borrowed word", written as "Knuffelkontakt", even with the suggestion of using this word as a new "work description" for female workers in the very beautiful word used as "Knuffelkontakt-Arbeiterin" or in 'really real' German as "Knuffelkontaktarbeiterin":

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.06_23h02m25s_006_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.07_00h11m05s_030_.jpg :rolleyes:

Mhm, what "kinds of activity" exactly are there all included in "knuffelcontact"? :eek:
I checked that out. There is no German translation available of the decrees of November 1st, it seems, but in French, it reads :

"Chaque ménage est autorisé à accueillir à la maison ou dans un hébergement touristique maximum un même contact rapproché durable par membre du ménage à la fois par période de 6 semaines,"

Which translates as :
"Each household is authorized to accommodate at home or in tourist accommodation at most one single, long-term close contact per household member at a time per period of 6 weeks,"

So, the 'knuffelcontact' must take place at home, or in a tourist accommodation (a privately owned one, since elsewhere, the decree states that public residential tourist accommodations must close). And it must be durable. Hint to Germans : read the law carefully, first!

The word 'knuffelcontact' appears on official Belgian Government sites, explaining the Covid-measures, but such a special word seems to be created only in Dutch. In French translation it is 'contact rapproché', in German 'engen Kontakt', in English 'close contact'.

So, only the Dutch speaking Begians are allowed to cuddle with their contact,:loveyou: the others are not allowed more than staying close to each other!:rota2::roto2rie:

I can already predict that we Germans will not obey to Belgian regulations about being allowed or not allowed to cuddle - or whatever "knuffeln" means (!) - with our contacts.
We will "knuffel" our contacts only according to a new German or Europe-wide "Knuffelgesetzgebung" (= "knuffel-law-making") and until then, we will knuffel our contacts as much and as long as we will and can!
:dancing:

Some words you should know as a tourist in Germany when you think you just have been insulted:

Dünnbrettbohrer

If you know about the do-it-yourself-mentality of Germans, who pride themselves as skilled handymen who'd never even think about hiring a professional to do something they could do themselves for free, this is a severe insult. The guy who translates to “thin plank driller” is not the most popular guy around. Something like a deadbeat, a Dünnbrettbohrer is a rather unintelligent and unambitious fellow, someone who might get the job done but would never bother to go the extra mile.
Incredible, but the opposite made it somehow into daily language and several politicians were heard saying, "we must drill thick planks" (= wir müssen dicke Bretter bohren!)

Evolutionsbremse

You don’t think too highly of someone’s intelligence, or lack there of, if you refer to them as this word, literally meaning someone who puts the breaks on evolution due to their very existence, which embodies so much stupidity that it slows the advancement of the species down.

Honk

Little is known about the definite origins of “Honk”, but the term refers to a total idiot. While this word has no underlying meaning and no German etymology, rumour has it that Honk stepped on the scene when the famous German comedian Otto Waalkes introduced a baby cartoon character who had a teddy bear named Honk. Other etymologists suggest that Honk really is an acronym for either “Hirn ohne nennenswerte Kapazität” (brain without noteworthy capacities) or “Hirnloser ohne nennenswerte Kenntnisse” (brainless without noteworthy knowledge).

Spargeltarzan

If the old adage “You are what you eat” applied in Germany, a great bulk of Germans would be “asparagus Tarzans” from April through to June during the beloved Spargelzeit. Yet this word does not refer to a veggie-eating behemoth, but rather an especially skinny and gangly person.

Kackbratze

This word sounds as annoying as what it implies: a complete brat, or “Bratze.” It’s a particular favourite of the Berlin comedian Kurt Krömer, who frequently uses the phrase "Na, du alte Kackbratze!" in order to say hi to someone. Such a person can also be called a Rotzlöffel, or a snot spoon.

Vollhorst/Otto

This one is reserved for someone you find to be a complete idiot. Or a person could say “Ich habe mich zum Vollhorst gemacht” if they feel they have made a fool out of themselves.
In German, the very common male first name “Horst” somehow became synonymous with “fool”. The prefix “voll” means “total” so that a “Vollhorst” is the ultimate idiot. As of late, the equally common male first name “Otto” is following a similar career that “Horst” pioneered. Both these names work as surnames as well, so if you happen to be named “Horst Otto” or “Otto Horst” you will be a Spaßbremse (killjoy, or literally 'fun brake') in no time!

Erbsenzähler

Literally a “pea counter”, this is reserved for someone who focuses on insignificant details rather than the big picture. This pedant is also known (and hated) as Paragraphenreiter, someone who sticks to the script no matter what. It’s about the principle!

Heißluftgebläse

Literally a hot air gun, this refers to a chatterbox (also dubbed a Labertasche, or babble bag) who talks all the time but just about hot air, or nothing.

Süßholzraspler

This species talks only in a flattering way since he wants something from you. A sweet-talker, he literally is someone who is grating licorice in order to persuade you. More often than not, a Süßholzraspler also happens to be a Schürzenjäger, a womanizer (or more precisely translated, an apron hunter).

Schluckspecht

Literally a “guzzling woodpecker” this is the German equivalent of a Boozer. If you switch a few letters, “Schluckspecht” becomes “Speckschlucht”, or a “canyon of bacon”. Okay, the later isn’t an actual German insult, but it sounds like it should be one.
Warmduscher: Someone just showers with warm water..... Schattenparkierer: Someone does not put his car into the sun.

"Echt jetzt?" (=> "Really now?"): Schattenparkierer? Sounds rather Austrian, not German, because Germans would rather say "Schattenparker", I think.
Germans speak such "Warmduscher"-things much harder than the Austrians!
;)

"Echt jetzt?" (=> "Really now?"): Schattenparkierer? Sounds rather Austrian, not German, because Germans would rather say "Schattenparker", I think.
Germans speak such "Warmduscher"-things much harder than the Austrians!
;)
Could be..... I heard that in Switzerland, but you know German is German and not only since the GröFaZ......

Correct, then 'dfg42', are you speaking rather "Schwyzerdütsch"?
(=> for our native English-speaking audience: Swiss-German is German with an often completely different emphasis on many German words and German is not really German everywhere in German-speaking countries, you know?!)

Once, there were mixed satirical shows on German TV with the satirists Dieter Hildebrandt (German) and Werner Schneyder (Austrian). Hildebrandt in one show asked Schneyder:
"Why do Austrians do not really like us Germans and vice versa?" Schneyder's answer: "I am convinced it is because we speak each other's language in slightly different dialects and we know each other too well!"

Moreover, the Germans and Austrians always liked to see each other as victims of the "Größten Feldherrn aller Zeiten" (= "GröFaZ" or "Greatest Commander of all Times)" for our interested non-German readers here) in a very different way.

Helmut Qualtinger (Austrian actor and satirist) once made this statement playing an old Austrian, when the Austrian national football / soccer team defeated the German team in the World Championships in 1974: "Our happiness was incredible, almost limitless! We had defeated the Germans in one of their greatest sports and we have never been so happy since the unification with Germany in 1938, when millions of Austrians were in the streets of Vienna to welcome our new Austrian leader from Berlin!"

Suddenly, he seemed to remark what he just had said in his joy and seemed to become sad again:

"Ahm, hrm, ... but it certainly was an awful crime how all we Austrians have been lied to and betrayed by him and by his German government members in those terrible times ... !"

Back
Top Bottom